Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-20, 10:24 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I don't have anything to add to the great advice already posted but just wanted to say that I struggled with PF for over a year and it was incredibly frustrating and made me very mad at the world some days. It did get better though and now I am back to running (though in different shoes--I suspect that was the culprit in my case). Hang in there {{{hugs}}}

Looking for seated cardio workouts was actually how I discovered Pahla B on YouTube and now that my feet are better I use her indoor runs a lot.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 10:32 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
Carolyn Jordan's youtube channel might be worth exploring. I've been doing her ankle rehab exercise video recently. The instructor, Carolyn Jordan, has lots of videos that focus on hurt feet and ankles. She is on the bubbly side, but in the video I linked above, she is pretty calm. She has lots of chair cardio workouts, which is something that might work for you.

The Bob & Brad channel might be helpful. They are a both physical therapists.

Edited to add: Bob & Brad have a playlist of Introduction to Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis Video Series
When I broke my foot, I used Caroline Jordan's YouTube channel. At first, her nonstop talking and bubbly personality would drive me nuts. But she grew on me. She was so positive in tough times. Covid plus a broken foot. I still do her chair cardio workouts on lighter days.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 11:34 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

How frustrating. Margaret Richard's Getting Better is great for foot injuries. I used it after my foot surgery. I also did Pilates and upper body strength. It was pre-COVID so I went to the gym a couple times a week to ride the recumbent bike and use weight machines that don't require pressing with the feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
If it’s available to you, I’d suggest getting a diagnosis from a good PT or podiatrist and go from there.
I agree with Pam, too. A PT will get you back on track sooner, and as a bonus you'll be doing all your PT exercises as your daily fitness.

Good luck - I hope you have a rapid recovery.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 12:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I agree with Pam, too. A PT will get you back on track sooner, and as a bonus you'll be doing all your PT exercises as your daily fitness.

Good luck - I hope you have a rapid recovery.
Yes PT would be my first choice too. Getting a diagnosis and having an appropriate rehab exercise regime will get you back on track. The root of the problem may not even be in your feet, could very well be further up the muscle chain.

I also wish you a speedy recovery!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 06:51 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

You tube has cardio workouts that are upper body based. Lisa Ericson's workout is particularly good. You could use those until your feet heal.
Old 08-08-20, 11:35 AM  
red1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
My top recommendation for foot problems is Jill Miller's YTU Quick Fix Lower Body Series feet segments. Anytime my feet hurt for multiple days I do this and find relief. Sorry you're dealing with this! What type of shoes do you wear on the bike? I find my feet do best with a stiffer sole.
I second the Jill Miller recommendation, it really helped me.
Old 08-12-20, 07:42 PM  
bfit

I followed everyone's advice and saw the podiatrist today. I have tendonitis in the big tendon that runs through the arch (flexor hallicis longus). Recovery will happen, but it could take several weeks. He is fixing up my orthotics to be more supportive, and I may have to get different fitness shoes. In the meantime, he said to roll my foot on a frozen water bottle, but I found that rather painful so I guess I need to check back with him about that. I'm relieved that this is something I can recover from relatively quickly, but still bummed. Thanks everyone for motivating me to see the doctor.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:08 PM  
fanofladyvols

bfit that sounds painful! I know it can be hard to be patient with your body and especially with your feet! Sending you some healing wishes

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’m glad you know what the root of the issue is & wish you a speedy recovery!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 09:00 PM  
bfit

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. Any ideas about chair workouts? I've found Paul Eugene on You Tube, and I really like his workouts because they are quite energetic. I've found the Caroline Jordan workouts but haven't actually done one yet. I ordered a DVD from Amazon called Simply Seated with Curtis Johnson - it's OK but a little too senior oriented for me. I also have a DVD called Safe and Strong that is OK but also a little too easy for me. Floor work is OK for me too, but so much of what is called floor work involves planks or down dogs that I can't do. I need floor work where your feet really don't have to plant into the mat at all. I can do side planks.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair workouts, emily splichal, foot injury, getting better, injuries, plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, v-core