Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-20, 01:54 PM  
bfit

Foot injury: So frustrated, don't know what to do

I've been struggling with foot issues all summer. First, I had a sore lower calf that I thought was from running on a slanted track. I stopped running on the track and I got an elastic ankle support. The first time I ran in the ankle support it bunched up in my shoe and repeatedly jammed my big toe into my shoe so my toe was swollen and bruised. That was 3 weeks ago. That injury is almost healed up, but now both of my feet are aching on the bottom and in the arches. The only exercise I've been doing is a stationary bike so that must be the cause of this new problem. Now there is literally nothing I can do for exercise. I've been icing and taking ibuprofen. Can feet just suddenly fail for no reason? I really don't understand how a low impact exercise like biking could hurt my feet. I do wear orthotics, but I've been wearing them religiously, and I have good shoes. Is there anything more I could be doing for my feet? Is there any exercise I can do? The swimming pools are closed due to the pandemic.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 02:25 PM  
Vantreesta

My top recommendation for foot problems is Jill Miller's YTU Quick Fix Lower Body Series feet segments. Anytime my feet hurt for multiple days I do this and find relief. Sorry you're dealing with this! What type of shoes do you wear on the bike? I find my feet do best with a stiffer sole.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 02:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

working out with a foot injury - many VFers have highly sung the praises of Margaret Richard's "Getting Better." it's next on my rotation - i've finally recovered from a lower back strain (3 weeks to recover) that i got from vacuuming!

V-Core DVD is on its way to me - this was designed by a podiatrist, Emily Splichal.

foot injury can be addressed if you go back to basics - how is your gait, do you balance on the balls of your feet adequately, while sitting, where are your feet, while sleeping, how is your foot posture, etc. is your weight centered? consider bringing your shoes to a running shoe shop and have the salesperson look at how your shoes are worn out on the bottoms.

i've tagged this thread so you can read other threads.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 03:23 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

If it’s available to you, I’d suggest getting a diagnosis from a good PT or podiatrist and go from there.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 04:23 PM  
DCW

Excellent advice Pam.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 05:04 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've had many foot issues over the past 10 or so years and I wouldn't try to diagnose or treat it yourself. As Pam said, see a podiatrist or PT and I would also add an orthopedic doctor, depending on what you have in your area and what your insurance covers.
Old 08-06-20, 09:23 PM  
Taiga

If you can't afford or don't have access to someone to properly diagnose, consider foam rolling and stretching your calves. Tight calves are a common cause of aching feet and plantar fasciitis. You can also roll your feet on a tennis ball.

You mentioned running on a slanted track. That activates different muscles in your calves and if you over work those less conditioned areas, they can become very tight and cause foot pain.

foam rolling clip
Old 08-06-20, 09:31 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Sounds like plantar fasciitis

The pain and achiness on the bottom of the feet and arches sounds like plantar fasciitis (PF).

I got PF from riding an exercise bike.

If your podiatrist identifies it as PF you'll get recommendations physical therapy, for taping the feet, stretches to do, exercises to avoid, and so on.

It's slow going, healing!
Old 08-06-20, 09:38 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I recommend all of the above. Stretching, provided you're careful not to overdo things is always good, so is rolling your foot on a tennis ball, but in the end you may need professional advice. Also check your shoes, you may need different ones.
Old 08-06-20, 10:04 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Carolyn Jordan's youtube channel might be worth exploring. I've been doing her ankle rehab exercise video recently. The instructor, Carolyn Jordan, has lots of videos that focus on hurt feet and ankles. She is on the bubbly side, but in the video I linked above, she is pretty calm. She has lots of chair cardio workouts, which is something that might work for you.

The Bob & Brad channel might be helpful. They are a both physical therapists.

Edited to add: Bob & Brad have a playlist of Introduction to Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis Video Series

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chair workouts, emily splichal, foot injury, getting better, injuries, plantar fasciitis, tendonitis, v-core