Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-19, 03:41 PM  
Gams

I am reading Taft by Ann Patchett. I am enjoying it - it’s short, so should be done soon.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 04:00 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I started reading "Defending Jacob" again. I read it years a go when it was first released but now they're making an 8 part series out it.

I finished "Gwendy's Button Box" and thought it was interesting for a novella. The sequel "Gwendy's Magic Feather" is available on Audible but won't be available in print until Jan 2020. I'll wait for it.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 04:09 PM  
sherry7899

Kathy, where will the series be shown? Thank you!

I am reading "The Perfect Son" by Lauren North.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 05:20 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I finally got an audio copy of Where the Crawdads Sing from the library -- loved it -- no surprise there. I then did a quick listen of Mrs. Everything which I either read about here or read about another by Jennifer Weiner and found it instead. I really enjoyed it. And, my latest listen, Small Fry a memoir by Lisa Brennan-Jobs. I'm not sure how I feel about that one. It was just one memory after another spewed out. Steve Jobs seemed so awful and then at the end just seemed like such a sad man. No real surprises there, I guess.

Ready for my next read......
Old 09-30-19, 06:56 PM  
BunnyHop

In September I read four books, and started several others.

Read: The Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee. Wonderful story, badly written. Not sure I want to seek out the next in the series.

The Color of Water by James McBride: Wonderful memoir. Stayed up all night reading it.

Reread The Inheritance by Charles Finch. Reliable series for something to read.

To Be Taught, if Fortunate by Becky Chambers. Thought provoking sci-fi that demonstrates why she's my current favorite author to re-read.

Started The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton, and The Path: what Chinese philosophers can teach us about the good life by Puett, Michael J. Intriguing and thought provoking.

Last edited by BunnyHop; 09-30-19 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Got the title wrong!! Sorry about that!
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 09:17 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Read: The Black Stallion by Tanith Lee. Wonderful story, badly written. Not sure I want to seek out the next in the series.
Just clarifying, did you mean The Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee? I've read Walter Farley's Black Stallion series (it was a childhood favorite) and that's what comes up when I search for The Black Stallion.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 11:44 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Just clarifying, did you mean The Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee? I've read Walter Farley's Black Stallion series (it was a childhood favorite) and that's what comes up when I search for The Black Stallion.
Oh, oops! Yes! Black Unicorn. Sorry about that. I've edited my original post to correct it and save anyone else the hassle.

Anya Seton's Black Beauty is also a good horsey book.
Old 10-01-19, 07:37 AM  
alisoncooks

I've read a ton, but have neglected to write them down in my record journal...and now I can't quite remember them all!

I know I reread The Handmaid's Tale, to get ready for when the library finally gets The Testaments.

I read Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci books 1 & 2...but couldn't get into #3.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 07:50 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I finished "Gwendy's Button Box" and thought it was interesting for a novella. The sequel "Gwendy's Magic Feather" is available on Audible but won't be available in print until Jan 2020. I'll wait for it.
Interesting Kathy; I didn't know there was a sequel. I thought the first was okay.

I don't think I've ever read anything by Ann Patchett! I should probably change that.

I just finished Malcom Gladwell's Outliers; I had read several of his other books but never got around to this one for some reason. I enjoy his books, although he can be a bit long-winded at times.

I just started The Force of Kindness by Sharon Salzberg. I've loved all of her books that I've read so far. I am also almost finished with Buddha's Brain, a loan from a friend which I've loved; I need to pick up my own copy!

And finally, I'm reading a cute little book on Hindu goddesses that I picked up a used book sale called Devi.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 08:04 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Kathy, where will the series be shown? Thank you!

I am reading "The Perfect Son" by Lauren North.
Sherry, AppleTV is making it. I'm hoping I can see it somehow. I do have AppleTV but don't want to subcribe to another service! Eh, I'm not sure about Chris Evans playing the lead role as the father. I thought the character was 51 years old!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defend...ob_(miniseries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Interesting Kathy; I didn't know there was a sequel. I thought the first was okay.

I don't think I've ever read anything by Ann Patchett! I should probably change that.

I just finished Malcom Gladwell's Outliers; I had read several of his other books but never got around to this one for some reason. I enjoy his books, although he can be a bit long-winded at times.

I just started The Force of Kindness by Sharon Salzberg. I've loved all of her books that I've read so far. I am also almost finished with Buddha's Brain, a loan from a friend which I've loved; I need to pick up my own copy!

And finally, I'm reading a cute little book on Hindu goddesses that I picked up a used book sale called Devi.
Beth, yeah the book was good (actually more interesting than I thought it would be). I'll probably get the sequel. I really liked Outliers! I had to read it for a Science class I took a few years ago. I thought it was fascinating and enjoyed it.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading