Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-17, 04:38 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan00 View Post
Thanks sherry7899!

I had 2 series of acupuncture, 12 treatments in total, which helped ease muscle tension but it always tightens up again after a couple weeks.

I haven't had professional myofascial massage. I have many tools to perform self myofascial release but I haven't been consistent. I'm okay. I just need to refocus.

One of the tools I won't be using is the Fasciablaster. What a terrible company built upon lies!!!
Hi Keilan, I would still recommend getting some sort of massage at least (myofascial or relaxation-type). I've done acupuncture and while I get some immediate benefit, I have never had those benefits stay. I think it is because while in some cases working on the chi with acupuncture can cause the body to make physical changes, it won't always happen without some help. It seems like right now your are very behind - certainly focusing will help, but a few sessions of massage might get your body moving in the right direction and then rolling at home can keep the momentum. Massage therapy has done wonders for my body. It also feels good.

Anyway, I'm so sorry you have to go through this, and I hope you feel better soon.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 05:50 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
The body is complex and raking the BPA plastic claws according to Ashley's protocols against the skin is throwing it out of balance and triggering crazy hormonal changes and biochemical signal transduction cascades in some individuals. Today, I read that several women are reporting nodules on their thyroid and experiencing hyper and hypo symptoms at the same time......

The damage claims are starting to sound as phony and ridiculous as Ashley's miracle claims. Maybe people are just positioning for litigation. Really, they want to blame thyroid nodules on the fascia blaster now? Do they have an ultrasound of the thyroid to prove nodules weren't present prior to their encounter with the FB? All the people flaming Ashley for lack of evidence better shine the light back. Or let's just blame a bad marriage, dandruff and poor economy on it as well.

Myofascial work IS complex. Trigger points are just that---capable of being triggered and that includes while using therapeutic techniques aimed at healing. How well myofascia responds can depend on general health (diet, nutrient deficiencies, adrenal function, other disease processes present etc). If someone has fibromyalgia, any form of inflammatory or autoimmune disease or even poor hydration or low vitamin/nutrient levels (esp vit B,D and Mg), there is greater risk of triggering pain. In the most ideal situations, even when therapy will be ultimately successful, pain can be part of the transition. The best plan is to prep properly (good diet/hydration etc), proceed gently and listen to the body. This includes limiting work to small areas at a time, especially when working in deeper tissue.

FYI, IASTYM (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization) is commonly used by physical therapists and sports medicine docs. The treatment involves "educated" use of metal tools to "scrape" fascia. Ashley's not wrong about the concept (it's quite old actually), she just didn't understand or care about the subtleties.

I am sorry about your experience and hope you heal soon. There are often solutions for poor tissue response. If you have triggered points in your calves, it can cause heel or PF type pain because the muscles contract and pull at areas of distal insertion (heel). You might talk to a sports medicine doc about cold spray (and stretch) treatment for the area. This is used for helping release in areas where you don't want to risk more compression treatment on a stubborn or painful trigger point. Since you say you have a lot of tools, maybe you have a cold roller? You can use the cold/stretch without applying pressure. Just a thought.
Old 07-29-17, 06:12 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
The damage claims are starting to sound as phony and ridiculous as Ashley's miracle claims. Maybe people are just positioning for litigation. Really, they want to blame thyroid nodules on the fascia blaster now? Do they have an ultrasound of the thyroid to prove nodules weren't present prior to their encounter with the FB? All the people flaming Ashley for lack of evidence better shine the light back. Or let's just blame a bad marriage, dandruff and poor economy on it as well.

Myofascial work IS complex. Trigger points are just that---capable of being triggered and that includes while using therapeutic techniques aimed at healing. How well myofascia responds can depend on general health (diet, nutrient deficiencies, adrenal function, other disease processes present etc). If someone has fibromyalgia, any form of inflammatory or autoimmune disease or even poor hydration or low vitamin/nutrient levels (esp vit B,D and Mg), there is greater risk of triggering pain. In the most ideal situations, even when therapy will be ultimately successful, pain can be part of the transition. The best plan is to prep properly (good diet/hydration etc), proceed gently and listen to the body. This includes limiting work to small areas at a time, especially when working in deeper tissue.

FYI, IASTYM (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization) is commonly used by physical therapists and sport's medicine docs. The treatment involves "educated" use of metal tools to "scrape" fascia. Ashley's not wrong about the concept (it's quite old actually), she just didn't understand or care about the subtleties.

I am sorry about your experience and hope you heal soon. There are often solutions for poor tissue response. If you have triggered points in your calves, it can cause heel or PF type pain because the muscles contract and pull at areas of distal insertion (heel). You might talk to a sport's medicine doc about cold spray (and stretch) treatment for the area. This is used for helping release in areas where you don't want to risk more compression treatment on a stubborn or painful trigger point. Since you say you have a lot of tools, maybe you have a cold roller? You can use the cold/stretch without applying pressure. Just a thought.
Bolded above is why I personally have been interested in this tool, but also accepted that it is a buyer beware/use your judgement sort of thing. I have had IASTM performed by a chiropractor (she used Graston tools for a neck issue) with good results but they were slow, and at times I experienced what felt like a going backwards. I do think Ashley Black was not qualified to make the recommendations that she did, but to me it was I also thought it was kind of obvious. We all need to apply common sense with anything we use, whether it is a tool bought on the internet or profession medical advice. However, I it sounds like a lot of people experienced negative effect for using the fascia blaster, and that's too bad. I guess people wanted "results" and wanted to suspend what might have seemed right for them. That has certainly happened to me too in the past.
Old 07-29-17, 06:25 PM  
keilan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Hi Keilan, I would still recommend getting some sort of massage at least (myofascial or relaxation-type)... a few sessions of massage might get your body moving in the right direction and then rolling at home can keep the momentum. Massage therapy has done wonders for my body. It also feels good.
I also had 12 physical therapy treatments and massage was incorporated in each session. Acupuncture actually worked better on me but it's temporary.

I intend to do more research before any further money exchanges hands. I've been diving into various Facebook massage therapy groups. There is a wide spectrum and I'm not always liking what I see. Some conversations make me question their education. There's some cool stuff too...it depends on the group. I learned a new term and currently exploring dermoneuromodulation. Reading about it, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
The damage claims are starting to sound as phony and ridiculous as Ashley's miracle claims. Maybe people are just positioning for litigation. Really, they want to blame thyroid nodules on the fascia blaster now? Do they have an ultrasound of the thyroid to prove nodules weren't present prior to their encounter with the FB? All the people flaming Ashley for lack of evidence better shine the light back.
The ones that I mentioned actually do have ultrasounds. Ashley better be careful about the next person she "SLAPP"s a lawsuit against. These women possess medical records and histories to backup their statements.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 07:53 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
I also had 12 physical therapy treatments and massage was incorporated in each session. Acupuncture actually worked better on me but it's temporary.

I intend to do more research before any further money exchanges hands. I've been diving into various Facebook massage therapy groups. There is a wide spectrum and I'm not always liking what I see. Some conversations make me question their education. There's some cool stuff too...it depends on the group. I learned a new term and currently exploring dermoneuromodulation. Reading about it, anyways.
The massage incorporated in PT is different than regular massage therapy sessions. When I had massage in PT the technique was different, the experience was different, the effect was different. But you do bring up a good point. Just like with any other professional, not all therapists are created equal and some are better than others. Occasionally there are ones that are terrible. If you can, get a referral from someone who knows a good one. But I've gone to someone unknown and still gotten good massages. I've also had neutral experiences from referrals and unknown therapists. I would say I've never had a massage where I thought I wasted my money.

Anyway, I hope you find what you need. Good luck.
Old 07-29-17, 09:18 PM  
Taiga

Quote:

The ones that I mentioned actually do have ultrasounds. Ashley better be careful about the next person she "SLAPP"s a lawsuit against. These women possess medical records and histories to backup their statements.
And you know this how? You've read through their records and heard the opinion/assessment of qualified medical personnel reviewing their cases? Are you saying numerous people just happened to get thyroid ultrasounds pre and post FB use? Was there statistical analysis to show the number of people who would have developed thyroid nodules regardless of FB use? These "victims" tell you their story on Facebook or wherever but you haven't had the benefit of any independent/qualified analysis. It's no different than Ashley's claims---all hearsay and unsubstantiated. Someone telling you they have records and records being independently reviewed are entirely 2 different things. Ashley has been making ridiculous claims for a long time. Yet has it been verified that anyone has won a court case against her ? Could it be because it would be quite difficult to prove that FB use caused thyroid nodules? Good luck with that. As far as I'm concerned, mob mentality is common on social networks. Rabid fans and rabid victims abound and they feed off their perspective crowds. You can claim anything you want behind the screen.

I also wonder about the type of consumer drawn to this product and particularly Ashley's marketing. Sure, there will be plenty of fitness minded people who just wanted a simple tool. But by the nature of Ashley's "message", there might have also been plenty with obsessive tendencies, body hatred etc. Physical ailments often accompany mental emotional issues. You can take a hundred women and only a certain percentage would be willing to claw and bruise themselves vigorously and repeatedly at the recommendation of a "beauty expert" with no credentials whatsoever. Even the false credentials she supposedly claimed were lame. So yes, the mental and physical health of these individuals prior to FB use might be another factor. This little piece of plastic just isn't the devil incarnate.
Old 07-29-17, 10:21 PM  
keilan00

There are public, closed, and then invitation only groups. The amount of information shared varies in each group. That's besides the point. People are being injured following Ashley's instructions on how to use the Fasciablaster. When something goes wrong, she either says it's a temporary stage, places the blame on the consumer who was following her directions the entire time, or denies the incident even occurred. Some of these injuries are very serious.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 08:45 AM  
suzannaerin

I succumbed and bought the mini and regular after my massage therapist used the mini on me. She did not go deep, kept it light. It helped and felt good. Unfortunately, the effects were not as long lasting as cupping or deep muscle massage. Anyway, I haven't used either tool much because my back is the problem, as are my traps, and it's hard to use yourself on your back. My husband tried to help out but he'd poop out. I never used them with oils or on bare skin. Anyway, I might offer them up on roost.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 09:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

More (((HUGS))) Keilan! I'm sorry that you are having to defend yourself here.

VF is usually a place to share and be supported. I pray that you can find a technique or practitioner who will heal your pain.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 10:49 AM  
desderata

Quote:
VF is usually a place to share and be supported.
This. It's clear that Ashley Black is a charlatan. Her actions, retractions and goofy statements about her credentials speak for themselves. It's unfair to question the intelligence, mental stability and credibility of women who used it as Black instructed, given Black's track record.

The FasciaBlaster may have some side benefits for pain reduction, but I watched Black's videos when the product first came out and she was not advertising it for that. She absolutely said to go hard and deep on your abdomen as well as butt and thighs and stated that bruising was a very positive sign - the more you bruised, the more cellulite you were breaking up. I thought it sounded too unpleasant to be worth whatever improvement in cellulite it achieved and passed on it.

I have had ASTYM therapy from two different PTs on two different body parts. It was very effective and I never bruised - not once, and I bruise easily. While it was a bit uncomfortable at times, it was never painful. It was nothing like what Black advised to do.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ashley black, ashley black guru, body dysmorphia, buyer beware, cellulite, fascia, fascia blaster, fasciablaster, fasciablaster injuries, injuries