Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-13, 10:00 PM  
lorajc

No Results Because of This?

I'm 53 and need to lose about 30 pounds. I realize how much diet plays a part in the big picture I also know I'm menopausal and so do horrmones, but I'm just talking exercise here. I'm not one to really stick to a rotation and I have ADD. Needless to say - I come on here and here someone got results from TA so I try that for a day or so, then someone says JNL and I do that for a couple days and so on.....

I once read an article from a celebrity trainer and they weren spilling there secrets - so to speak - and said they never have their client do the same workout days in a row...then you hear this rotation, that rotation.....

Yes...I'm older but I still don't know what works for me at this age so I just have fun..but I'd like to see some solid results not just have fun......what does everyone think? Should I be sticking to things longer?

Thanks for listening
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 10:26 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I don't think so. But, I'm not sure what kind of results you want. If it is more muscle, I'd probably figure out a heavy wt training rotation and mostly stick to it. I'm a year younger than you.

For weight loss, more, or more intense exercise isn't going to do anything for me and hasn't over the last 30 years. I'm fairly muscular under my extra pounds, so your mileage may vary on that one. I love to exercise and have gotten the same results from every program I've tried- including only walking on my lunch hour for a couple years - power walking at least a few of the days each week though. What I've eaten has never mattered either, just the total amount. I was surprised to figure out that my intake is fairly constant regardless if it's all candy, or all vegetables.

I'm interested in this moving more throughout the day thing. And I know if I'm walking or moving around, mowing the lawn, etc. I'm not eating.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 12:08 AM  
edensmom

For me, consistency and working hard each workout are what counts. It doesn't really matter what exact workout or pattern of workouts I do. I have had good results using a variety of workout styles. I tend to switch things up very often and haven't seen any negative impact.

I have read here that many ladies have fared poorly incorporating intensity, or trying specific workout styles, and people are different and thrive under different circumstances. For those ladies, my advice to push a little harder wouldn't work. But for me, it works to always focus on adding weight, adding reps, progressing the exercise to the next level, etc. When I challenge myself is when I see those physical changes.

Of course this is coupled with diet as you already said. If I am not eating right it really doesn't matter what I do.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 07:48 AM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post

Of course this is coupled with diet as you already said. If I am not eating right it really doesn't matter what I do.
So true! After my hysterectomy, I gained 35 pounds and it stayed for eight years. I worked out endlessly for those eight years and it didn't budge. Then I decided to try cleaning up my diet. I lost a pound a week and all of those 35 pounds. I've been in maintenance since February and doing great. And I don't have to work out as hard as I use too.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:14 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I also have to say diet, even though I know people know that. I am 56 and my menopausal pounds never budged until I really started recording every morsel I ate and dialed the intake down. I have very recently lost 15 lbs (and hopefully I'll keep going for another 5 or 10 lbs more) just being very mindful of my eating and recording every bite. I have been walking every day (as opposed to 3 or 4 times a week) and just trying to add bursts of activity throughout the day. I also add in weights or core fusion here and there, but no set rotation. I was very resistant for a long time to the recording, but I had to be completely honest about my diet before I saw any weight loss results. And I always have to shout out to my check in mates in Maintainers, Losers and No Gainers. I truly couldn't have done this without them.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:23 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yep, it's work on the food that will help you the most. For me, the type of workout doesn't really make much difference until I get down to lower body fat levels. The most important thing, as others have said, is to find something you enjoy so that you can be consistent with it. Maybe you should give yourself a break from vf for a week or so, so as not to get caught up with the hype that's here. Just keep moving, and focus on the food. Good luck!! I'm guessing you were too late for Mindy's program -- is that right? For me, I think her whole picture of a lifestyle made more difference than the specific exercises.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:26 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Yes...I'm older but I still don't know what works for me at this age so I just have fun..but I'd like to see some solid results not just have fun......what does everyone think? Should I be sticking to things longer?
I won't repeat what everyone else has said about diet, since I agree with them. 30 lbs is almost all about that.

However, in terms of workouts - I really think that if you are not seeing positive changes in some way or another, the first thing to try is "that thing you are not doing", which in your case is committing to a program to stick to for 4-6 weeks. This isn't necessary for everybody, but if you say that this is your typical pattern, and you're not happy with it, then certainly, consistency to one program is the first thing I'd try.

I'm guessing that what the celebrity trainers mean is that their clients aren't doing the same exact workouts two days in a row, but in all likelihood, there is still an overall program that they are following, with particular objectives in mind. So there is still some structure to it, but variety within the structure.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:39 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
I won't repeat what everyone else has said about diet, since I agree with them. 30 lbs is almost all about that.

However, in terms of workouts - I really think that if you are not seeing positive changes in some way or another, the first thing to try is "that thing you are not doing", which in your case is committing to a program to stick to for 4-6 weeks. This isn't necessary for everybody, but if you say that this is your typical pattern, and you're not happy with it, then certainly, consistency to one program is the first thing I'd try.

I'm guessing that what the celebrity trainers mean is that their clients aren't doing the same exact workouts two days in a row, but in all likelihood, there is still an overall program that they are following, with particular objectives in mind. So there is still some structure to it, but variety within the structure.

Ditto. Rotations generally mix it up for you so you get the variety but also the structure. I've had some of my best results (leaned out, gained strength) following rotations. You can always commit to a 1-3 mos rotation then allow yourself free reign for your exercise ADD after as a reward for finishing. Bottom line, if what you are doing isn't working, you may have to commit to something outside your current comfort zone to get results. I've definitely started some rotations with a mild sense of dread only to find out that I loved the program and the results. If you can hang in long enough to get results, they are very motivating

ETA: When I refer to a rotation "outside your comfort zone", I don't mean high intensity (which can actually be counter-productive by stimulating appetite). I mean something that keeps you focused on certain goals so that you can see the results.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:43 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post

I'm interested in this moving more throughout the day thing. And I know if I'm walking or moving around, mowing the lawn, etc. I'm not eating.
Yes, I've found that for me, it's how much I do when I'm not working out that makes the biggest difference.

There's a thread on GD called (something like) Sitting Will Kill You, that's more about health than weight loss, but supports the "do more movement throughout the day" habit.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-13, 09:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
If I am not eating right it really doesn't matter what I do.
+1

I lost weight last year with long brisk walks, yoga, & eating clean.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, diet, injuries, injury prevention, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, successful weight loss