Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-11, 03:15 PM  
Buffgirl

Caligurl, I use the Skogg on my heavy day, KB don't bulk me up, regular weights do. I use a 25 pounds KB for the entire workout. My favorite workouts are the ROOTS and The INTERVALS. The last time I did the Intervals I used 30 lbs. for the first two rounds and the 25 for the rest, it burned my biceps and my butt!
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 03:24 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffgirl View Post
Caligurl, I use the Skogg on my heavy day, KB don't bulk me up, regular weights do. I use a 25 pounds KB for the entire workout. My favorite workouts are the ROOTS and The INTERVALS. The last time I did the Intervals I used 30 lbs. for the first two rounds and the 25 for the rest, it burned my biceps and my butt!
WHOA! you can do an overhead press with a 30 lb KB????????
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 03:33 PM  
psnave

Not sure I like that either -- using one KB weight for the entire workout...there's no way I could do overhead presses with the same kb I swing with. I guess you could hit pause, but I know what you mean about messing with the flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
ya know.... that's my issue with half of the skogg workouts..... you use ONE kettlebell... but all the later ones you do one exercise after the other.... they all include overhead presses.... and i just cannot get a heavy KB over my head more than one time with a press..... so i don't feel like i'm going to get a good workout out of flow and.... forget the other one's name.... with roots and ladders (i think that's the second one?) at least you have time to switch out the KB for differing weights depending on the exercise.....

plus..... i do tend to build muscle if i go heavy.... but i don't want massive linebacker shoulders.... defined yes.... but not huge... so i'm torn on what to do.... try to work up to heavier presses? (and risk linebacker shoulders) or go lower weight on everything else but then i'm not getting as a good a workout as i think i should....
psnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 04:41 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karianne View Post
For those who have tried RKS, how is Owen's technique? From the clip, Doug's technique is not too good. My kettlebell mates also pointed that out that too. I like to know because I am also torn between this and Skogg.
Yep, Owen is great, and he leads 12 of the workouts. Doug's clean and press form is, well, you saw it, but he only does the C&P in 1 of the 4 workouts he is in. So it's not much at all. But you will see the girls do some cleans in the workouts with Owen, and their form is much like Doug's. I just watch Owen, when I'm looking at the screen.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 04:42 PM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnave View Post
Not sure I like that either -- using one KB weight for the entire workout...there's no way I could do overhead presses with the same kb I swing with. I guess you could hit pause, but I know what you mean about messing with the flow.
Hmmm, good point, I didn't think about that.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 05:34 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnave View Post
I guess a lot would depend on your goals. I emailed Sue Skogg and she made a great recommendation for me. Alternate the rotation with a lighter kb on 2 days and a heavier one the other two. That way 2 days of a more cardio based workout and 2 days strength. You wouldn't have to go rep for rep on the strength days and could build strength where you need it. I really like that idea and ordered Skogg.
Old 06-01-11, 05:43 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
I guess a lot would depend on your goals. I emailed Sue Skogg and she made a great recommendation for me. Alternate the rotation with a lighter kb on 2 days and a heavier one the other two. That way 2 days of a more cardio based workout and 2 days strength. You wouldn't have to go rep for rep on the strength days and could build strength where you need it. I really like that idea and ordered Skogg.
I do this quite a bit. I go lighter and faster, then heavier and slower. You can really get a lot out of workout when you mix it up like that.
tigerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 07:40 AM  
Snuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
Thanks for posting this! What a great idea!!! I've been using my 18lb thinking I really should break out the 25lb KB to make sure I'm getting the most out of this set.
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:18 AM  
3ks

For those who own Skoggs, how does the system work? As in, what is the rotation that comes with it like? I am also considering ordering this set but wanted to know this and also, where can we get the black gloves the women wear on the clip on their site?

Thanks.

Kiddy
Old 06-02-11, 08:25 AM  
Gardengirl

I don't own it yet, but I hope it's in the mail! My understanding is that it's a four day rotation, but I don't have details.

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, kettlebells, michael skogg, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg kettlebell system