Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-12-21, 11:17 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Paine - Your day at Disneyland sounds so much fun! It’s been at least 25 years since we took our boys there but I remember Space Mountain well. That’s a lot of steps, hope your hip feels better soon. Maybe one of Beth’s gentle yoga practices would help.

ETA Pat - Your garden sounds lovely! DH built some large raised planter boxes for our tomatoes, cucumbers, & zucchini. They line our upper deck that gets a lot of sun. They are easy on the back & not accessible to our plentiful deer population.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 12:12 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pat, I hope your hydrangea does better than ours. We planted a pretty blue hydrangea about 6 months ago and it isn't doing good.

Pam, I'm sure my hip will be better in a couple days. I thought about you yesterday when we had been walking so much. I thought, "Pffft, this amount of walking is nothing compared to all the walking Pam gets on her hikes!"
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 01:27 PM  
cyana

Happy Week-end. New local/organic veggies at the market this week - corn and okra - and now you know what's on my dinner menu this evening. Probably some sliced cukes (I've been buying these in obscene quantities for the past 3 weeks), too. Corn doesn't hang around long (meaning not available through our local farmer), as it's hard to keep the worms out of it, especially when you grow organically. Tomatoes seem to be a bit slow to mature this year, although I've gotten some cherry tomatoes from my lettuce guy the past two weeks. Funny note - I was having my daily salad for lunch yesterday and as usual, was having lunch at my desk when out of the corner of my eye I noticed that my salad was moving!!! There was a little worm that probably came off the arugula crawling on a piece of the lettuce. I managed to fish it out (along with it's piece of lettuce) and proceeded to eat the rest of my salad - sans the extra protein!!!

I checked in on Happy Osprey Nest last evening and Dad's Dinner Delivery arrived with a fresh fish just as I pulled up the camera. The baby is now able to eat little shreds of fish and wasn't at all shy about demanding his/her share.

Pat - You asked about BFR several days ago - that's the blood flow resistance training that I do with the B Strong bands. Your muscles exhaust more quickly, which is why I'm typically either doing body weight or significantly lighter loads than I would otherwise. Good luck with your hole digging. No dirt therapy for me today, as it's hot and nasty humid. I have about a half dozen hydrangeas, including one that is HUGE. We refer to it as "the hydrangea that ate the front yard". It must be 10-12 feet tall and at least 10-12 feet across. We didn't think it was going to survive early on and now it grows like a wild thing and gets pruned back pretty severely every year. I'm hoping to get a picture of it in a week or two when it's in full bloom. I just hope it doesn't smother some of the neighbor plants with its exuberant growth! I'm definitely trying to take the future into consideration with my gardening plans these days. I love working in the dirt, but my days of digging for 8-10 hours are a thing of the past. I love succulents - my plant people at the market had a really interesting looking variety today but I knew digging wouldn't be a happening thing. This website has some cool succulent plants: https://mountaincrestgardens.com/har...selling&page=1

Pam - DH and I saw Hall and Oates live several years ago and for a couple of old guys (said tongue in cheek since most people wouldn't refer to me as a spring chicken ), their voices have held up well and they have an excellent group of musicians. I like your DH's idea of building the garden boxes so they're easy on the back. DH and I went on a garden tour a couple of years ago and a guy on the tour made some raised garden boxes and had painted some sort of rubbery non-toxic finish on the inside to keep them from rotting. They were $$$$, but made so much sense. Squirrels and birds are my major veggie pests. Squirrels mow all greens down to the dirt and both critters will take one bite out of a tomato and leave the rest - grrrr. Deer are really tough on gardens - my aunt and uncle finally gave up their veggie garden after over 50 years due to deer invasions.

Paine - I'm glad your grandson had a wonderful time at Disney yesterday. I would've been over the moon to have gone to Disney as a kid as I would ride any and everything! Hope your hip is back to 100% soon. Don't give up on your hydrangea yet - mine have tended to languish for a year or two, although admittedly, there have been several fatalities (including all the Zebra variety ).

Sandra - Interesting that you brought up daily stretching. I think I've mentioned in the past my mother would "take her exercise" (her terminology) every morning, which consisted of about a half hour of stretching on top of the bed. Her flexibility was better than mine, so perhaps I should take some of her medicine. I saw some pictures of our remodeled library on line this week - can't wait to check it out.

Beth - Congratulations on 200 subscribers. Good luck making a decision on your next yoga training.

Linda - DS may regret feeding peanuts to "his" crows one day since they are so darned smart. I can just see them knocking on the sliding glass door and yelling "Hey Peanut Man, get out here. We know it's your day off!!!"

Does anyone use or have you tried Swedish dishcloths? I got one as a gift along with a towel and had put it away and forgotten about it. I'm running it through the dishwasher now. Supposedly they're far more efficient than paper towels and those are one of the many things that are getting more expensive. Here's a link to one brand: https://swededishcloths.com Some of those prints are really cute. I love the fact they're eco-friendly and can even be composted.

Today I got up and put on tinted moisturizer and some eye make-up for the first time in I don't know when. I need new mascara - anyone have one they like? I do drugstore mascara.....haven't been able to justify the cost of the department store offerings.

Must run - trying to decide whether to do some yoga from MFML or some qi gong this afternoon. I'm also mulling over whether to start my work day an hour later in an attempt to improve my work-out consistency during the week. I'm very conflicted there.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 05:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, that Hall & Oates video was almost psychedelic! Hall looked like David Bowie there...I always laugh when he finally lets Oates sing. Their heyday pretty much fits with my own heyday of listening to music in the 80s; my favorite song of theirs is "You Make My Dreams." Btw, I read your "Swedish cloths" link as "Swedish sloths."

RE mascara, I'm so picky! I don't usually like weird applicators, but oddly, I do like this one (which I think I found in Big Lots):
https://www.amazon.com/COVERGIRL-Tot.../dp/B06XRR9X3X

My eyes are small, so the brush helps me to get in there; it's a good everyday mascara, not overly dramatic.

Pam, you are sweet to recommend me to Paine! (And I also appreciate everyone here who subscribes to my channel.)

Paine, I based one of my videos on some of these exercises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Le...index=34&t=13s

Also, here is a nice short hip mobility routine from Tim:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h1tdKt4RqOo/h...tyCKfl7ADUZP6g

Space Mountain (at Disney World in FL) used to be one of my favorites.

Pat, hope your gardenasana went well today! When I subbed yoga on Thursday, one of my students said it was just what she needed after a day of gardening.

Linda, my library system doesn't have the Pilates book either. I'm going to see if I can get it to review.

I taught yoga this morning - ironically, it was my Saturday to teach, but b/c of the yoga training that was scheduled to start today, I switched with someone and taught last Saturday instead, but then she needed a last-minute sub, so I took the class back. DH and I walked into our town/village for a late lunch/early dinner at a local diner we love - it's so nice to be able to go there again!

I found yet another yoga training today. It's based on Dr. Fishman's Yoga for Osteoporosis work. I've actually studied with the instructor, Ellen Saltonstall, in person several times when she has come to Rochester for ballwork trainings. BUT...to do the teacher training is *3 times* as much as the other trainings I was looking at. I haven't floated the idea by DH yet...here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.
https://odp0nb3w.pages.infusionsoft.net/

Happy Saturday!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 08:35 PM  
JustSandra

Hi everyone!

Today's Workout: Per my workout template, this was my Wild Card day! I chose Poise & Grace from Jessica Smith's Build Balance + Inner Strength.

Paine: Ooh, I'm jealous of your Disneyland trip! My niece wants to take my grandniece to Disneyland -- maybe I can tag along.

Linda: I finished Caged Lion. Very interesting, not only as a history of Pilates, but it also made me think about the purpose of exercise in our lives. I liked how the author was able to still express his appreciation for most of the players even after disclosing some of their flaws, and how he acknowledged it was necessary for the Pilates system to grow and expand after Joe's passing.

Hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 11:21 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~5 km walk with DH, lots of hills
~10 min upper body strength work on power rider
~Ellens Stretch Sculpt - An okdue I haven’t done for ages. I like it, but definitely have to modify the lunge sequence
~BellyFit TV: Goddess
~MELT: Fill Body Express Map

Cyana - I miss concerts! We’ve seen a few oldies over the last 20 years or so….James Taylor, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, & Burton Cummings several times to name a few. Sure brings back lots of fun memories! DH put a waterproof liner in his raised planters & they work great. We’ve had a few critters nibble at our cherry tomatoes. The deer here eat almost everything except herbs & stinky flowers like daisies & marigolds so we don’t plant flowers and keep our edibles off limits.

Paine - I don’t often put in 18,000 steps, but I bet Sandra often does on her long walks.

Beth - The osteoporosis course looks very interesting but I agree it’s pricey. Would you go for the full certification?

Sandra - I think you’d have so much fun at Disneyland with your grandniece!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 11:46 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Cyana, When there were guys working around my house the crows would follow me when I went for mail and follow again when I came up the hill. One guy said the crows were protecting me because I feed them. I hope they're around if the bear or mountain lion ever show up.

Sandra, I agree the author made a lot of good points. I still have the urge to take some of my DVDs to the county dump and throw them in.

Beth, many times while reading the book I thought you need to review it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 11:48 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

After sleeping 16 hours last night all I had energy for was a little shoulder rehab. Very little.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 10:39 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

YouTube: 9 Minute Morning Hip Mobility Routine: Daily Exercises For Less Pain & More Mobility | Yoga With Tim
YouTube: Yoga Exercises by Thomas Somerville

Beth, thank you for the yoga and mobility links! I did them both and my hip is feeling better today.
If you liked studying with Ellen Saltonstall before and you like the look of the program then I say go for it and splurge on that training!

Cyana, try running an experiment for 1 week by starting your work day an hour later to see if it improves your workout consistency. If it does and you like it, stay with it. If not, go back to your usual work schedule.
Ewww about the worm on the lettuce. Insects have always grossed me out (especially on food!).
I have not heard about Swedish dishcloths. I will look into them. Can they be used for drying dishes or just cleaning?

SANDRA!! DEFINITELY GO to Disneyland with your niece and grandniece!! It is so much fun to experience the joy of a child's first visit to Disneyland. My grandson loved Disneyland. He is 6 years old so he was tall enough to be able to go on all of the rides.

Pam, your long walks with lots of hills is a challenging workout! I don't do very good with hills.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-21, 11:46 AM  
cyana

Yesterday:
YT - LWR - Walk at Home/Walking for Weight Loss - posted 3.29.2017. This work-out was 30 seconds of walking alternating with 30 seconds of toning
MFML - Your Calming Yoga Practice - Adam Hocke. This was a relaxing practice that included some slow half-sun sals (each part of the half-sal done on a 5 count), some down dogs, child's pose, self massage, etc. I did it in the evening and didn't find it to be too stimulating and I also see it as being good when you need to slow your head down and get grounded. And I like Adam.

Today - So Far:
Walk - it's going to be another hot and humid day, so I decided to get out early this AM while it was just humid and not hot. I'm still liking my new Saucony shoes.
YT - Yoga Exercises by Thomas Somerville. Posted 5.1.2017 - This is the first link from Beth's post from yesterday. This had some nice lower back/hip work, so I was able to "take my exercise" to borrow from my mother.
Looking to do another work-out/stretching session this afternoon - from the comfort of my air conditioned house.

Beth - That is a truly bizarre mascara brush. But it has really good reviews, so apparently you have plenty of company in the thumbs' up column on that one. Angie from Hot and Flashy recently mentioned Maybelline Sky High as being one she likes. My most recent purchase (2019) was the L'Oreal Million Lashes. I liked this one, but I'm literally scraping the bottom of the tube at this point.

Paine - I see you also liked Thomas's practice - those were good moves and I really like the fact I can easily do that on my own (or some variation thereof). I'd thought about doing the one week trial of starting my work day later to see how it goes. My whole life I've been an early bird, so this is so backward. But I've never been a menopausal insomniac with a geriatric cat who also wakes up multiple times during the night until now! I don't know if the Swedish dishcloths are large enough to use as towels, but I'll do some practical research on that one today and report back.

Pam
- Sounds like you and I would be good concert partners. I think we've seen the Doobie Brothers at least 3 times. The waterproof liner in the planting boxes makes perfect sense, too.

Sandra
- Thought about you while I was out walking and wondered if you and your VF friend were out walking and having coffee this AM. And hopefully beating the heat!

Must get to the kitchen and do some food prep. I put the food processer out first thing this AM so I couldn't ignore it.

Waves to ALL. Will try to check back in later with any work-out updates.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote