Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-21, 12:13 PM  
anetta

I used to love to go to Parklane Hoisery and buy my tights and leotards in the 80's

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 12:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Ugh why do they seem to go back to the ugliest parts of a fashion trend? I was watching a show the other day and the young woman had those awful sleeves on a sweater with a square neck cut low and she looked horrible.

Oh, I had some thong leotards. The one leotard I wished I had was the one Charlene Prickett wore that showed the organs of the body on it. I lusted after it and only found it online well after my lust had faded.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 12:48 PM  
kat999

Honestly I love a ton of stuff about the '80s but fashion is not one of them! I am a big fan of the early-'90s Calvin Klein look: simple jeans, solid (usually dark) colors, very basic stuff (comfortable tees, sleek skirt suits, etc.).

I went to Target recently looking for a pair of shorts to wear on vacation and every pair of shorts were neon, WAY too short, or in some super weird fabric. Apparently I need to start shopping at LL Bean or something.

Oh, and whoever decided prairie dresses are fun is clearly trolling everyone. Those are just beyond hideous and I don't know when they were EVER in style. Maybe someone at the fashion HQ was like "The '80s are back!" and someone misinterpreted it as the 1880s.
Old 06-12-21, 01:21 PM  
Gams

Seeing how I spend half the year in boots, I wouldn’t mind stirrup pants so my pant legs aren’t all bunched up at the top of the boots.

Remember hot pants? I remember wearing them one year on my birthday. We were going out to eat and then to a show. At dinner they brought me a birthday cake with a sparkler on it. The sparks were landing on my thighs and when I stood up after dinner, I had dozens of runs in my pantyhose. It wasn’t my best look. 😆
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 02:19 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Oh, and whoever decided prairie dresses are fun is clearly trolling everyone. Those are just beyond hideous and I don't know when they were EVER in style.
I don't know when they were in style. My mother made me one when I was in 7th or 8th grade--the late 60s. As I remember it, it was rather darling. It had an empire waist and fell to just above my ankles in an A-line skirt that draped nicely. She edged the hem, the neckline, and the sleeve hems with white eyelet lace. I remember the fabric was a thick cotton weave, thinner than denim but substantial. The background was a deep, royal blue and had violet, pink, and yellow flowers sprinkled all over it, each flower resting on bright green leaves. I doubt it would have looked good on anyone but a prepubescent girl, which I was in 7th & 8th grade. I loved it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 02:51 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I don't know when they were in style. My mother made me one when I was in 7th or 8th grade--the late 60s. As I remember it, it was rather darling. It had an empire waist and fell to just above my ankles in an A-line skirt that draped nicely. She edged the hem, the neckline, and the sleeve hems with white eyelet lace. I remember the fabric was a thick cotton weave, thinner than denim but substantial. The background was a deep, royal blue and had violet, pink, and yellow flowers sprinkled all over it, each flower resting on bright green leaves. I doubt it would have looked good on anyone but a prepubescent girl, which I was in 7th & 8th grade. I loved it.
That sounds cute, actually, but your last sentence is key. Target in particular is selling these in the regular women's section between juniors and plus sizes. I don't think a woman in her 20s and up would actually look good in these unless it was for some kind of specific costume. That's just me, of course! I have seen memes and things with people complaining about them and being confused by them.
Old 06-12-21, 03:16 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Prairie dresses? No and no and no! They remind me of women you might see leaving a cult compound.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-21, 03:20 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Prairie dresses? No and no and no! They remind me of women you might see leaving a cult compound.
LOL! Your description is SPOT ON!!!
Old 06-13-21, 10:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
I used to love to go to Parklane Hoisery and buy my tights and leotards in the 80's
Me, too. I liked the Gilda Marx leotards, but they were crazy expensive. I still have an unopened set of shiny tights and also leg warmers! They remind me of my old Jazzercise days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Yes!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fashion