Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-21, 04:29 PM  
alisoncooks

Spin bike for short inseam?

I can’t believe I’m even considering this. I’ve been using the strength workouts from Kaleigh Cohen Strength, and I wandered over to her spinning channel.

Well, don’t they look fun!! Lol, I’ve never been interested in spin…in fact, I’m supposed to be saving up for a Concept 2. But now I’m distracted by the spin workouts.

Thoughts? Or…tell me you love your rower more…that’ll be great to hear, too!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 05:04 PM  
Erica H.

I love love love love Kaleigh for spinning. Her strength workouts are good but her personality doesn't shine through like it does in her spin classes.

I was a runner for 23 years and got injured in May and haven't been able to run since (probably never will again). I was very depressed and upset but started using Kaleigh's spin workouts and she has helped me mentally and physically so much. I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through these past few months without her. It's still hard and discouraging plus I've gained weight from not running, but starting every day with her helps a lot.

I have a Sunny bike that I got from Amazon. I am very interested in a rower but am hesitant to invest so much money in a good one (Concept 2 is my top choice right now) since I don't know how much use I'll get out of it.

As of now, I'm scheduled for surgery next month for my injury - major reconstructive surgery on my foot. No exercising for a very long time and it will take a full year to heal. I can't wrap my brain around this.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 05:41 PM  
alisoncooks

Erica - I’m glad you answered because I know you love her spin workouts! She makes it look so easy!

I’m so sorry about your foot. Gosh — a year is so long! When I had my ACL surgery, it was many months before I could exercise and it was hard. For me, not so hard to not exercise…but hard not being my normal, mobile, self-reliant self.

And I have no experience with rowing, but I am repeatedly having plantar fasciitis flares and I need a better cardio option (walking or walking workouts aren’t always comfortable). I’m hesitant to invest all that $$, to potentially not like it.
Old 10-12-21, 06:19 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Erica - I’m glad you answered because I know you love her spin workouts! She makes it look so easy!

I’m so sorry about your foot. Gosh — a year is so long! When I had my ACL surgery, it was many months before I could exercise and it was hard. For me, not so hard to not exercise…but hard not being my normal, mobile, self-reliant self.

And I have no experience with rowing, but I am repeatedly having plantar fasciitis flares and I need a better cardio option (walking or walking workouts aren’t always comfortable). I’m hesitant to invest all that $$, to potentially not like it.
When I broke my ankle, it took a year and two surgeries to heal. But I didn't have to spend so much time with no weightbearing - this will be 6-12 weeks with no weight bearing at all. That's what I can't wrap my head around. And I gained SO much weight during that time. ACL is a tough surgery/injury.

I'm thinking about a rebounder for when I'm ready to exercise again. Like you, I'm hesitant to invest so much money in the rower even though I know many love theirs.

Kaleigh has really made spinning tolerable and...even enjoyable for me. I love starting my day with her (I spin around 5:30am). She is so positive and fun! And, yes, she makes it look so easy. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep up with her! And she talks throughout the entire workout too!

If you get a bike, I hope you love it and Kaleigh (how could you not?)!

Erica
Old 10-12-21, 06:23 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Are there any gyms nearby that might have the equipment you're interested in to try out? Maybe take a few spin classes?

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 07:57 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
Are there any gyms nearby that might have the equipment you're interested in to try out? Maybe take a few spin classes?
Nope, nothing like that.

I’m mainly wondering about bikes for short people. I’ve bought several upright bikes over the years (never a spin bike) and they’ve never fit my legs properly (I’m 5’5” but long torso, short legs).
Old 10-13-21, 08:05 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Nope, nothing like that.

I’m mainly wondering about bikes for short people. I’ve bought several upright bikes over the years (never a spin bike) and they’ve never fit my legs properly (I’m 5’5” but long torso, short legs).
I don't know about spin bikes but I went to the local bike shop to buy my road bike. I'm 5'2" and they fitted me with a men's bike that works. Turns out I really don't like riding in town so I bought a trainer and just ride it on that in the basement. I don't know if you can use a trainer the same way as a spin bike though. I have never pedaled standing up on it and not sure how comfortable I would feel doing so. Probably doesn't help much, just wanted to say being fitted for a bike helps! Hope you get some helpful answers!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 08:49 AM  
donnamp

Totally random question - but can you do "spin" workouts on a recumbent bike? We have a recumbent - got it for DH years ago (who doesn't use it, LOL!). I have used it on and off - but I get pretty bored with it.

I know I couldn't do the out of the seat stuff on a recumbent, but would the rest translate?

The workouts do look like they would make using the recumbent less of a chore.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 09:39 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Totally random question - but can you do "spin" workouts on a recumbent bike? We have a recumbent - got it for DH years ago (who doesn't use it, LOL!). I have used it on and off - but I get pretty bored with it.

I know I couldn't do the out of the seat stuff on a recumbent, but would the rest translate?

Donna
I know that the YouTube channel I mention up thread had a few spin workouts that remain in the saddle — she also gives ways to adapt when you’ve not got a spin bike (peddling faster, increasing resistance). That’s what really got me interested! I don’t even know if I *could* stand up and peddle, lol.
Old 10-13-21, 09:47 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Donna
I don't know much about recumbents, but I assume you could still adjust speed and resistance so you could adapt to the spin workouts using those adjustments and just not stand. So, seated sprints and climbs...

Erica

Tags
bike trainer, bikes, kaleigh cohen, spin bike, spin bikes