Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-23, 10:05 AM  
Negin

Strength Training Books for Motivation/Encouragement

I saw this Ted Talk the other day. I’m sure that some of you have probably heard of her. I may get her book Not sure yet. I get what she says. It make sense, I suppose. My only problem is that the older that I get, the more skeptical I tend to be. It seems that everyone is selling something. I'm looking for books that encourage and motivate when it comes to strength training. Not necessarily paper workouts, since I prefer videos for that, and am not a paper workout type. Just good reading.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-23, 02:53 PM  
prettyinpink

I’m interested to see other responses. A lot of what I have learned in this area comes from podcasts and social media which then lead me to articles, both published journal articles and on websites. These are a couple of sources that come to mind, but it’s hard to remember.

Peter Attia Outlive, the chapter(s) on strength training. There is a lot of criticism, by other experts, of his comments on protein, VO2 Max, and his aggressive recommendations for screening blood tests and scans. But this book and his podcasts with strength research guys are inspiring on the importance of strength.

Starting Strength has a lot of good content, even if you don’t subscribe to the idea that you must do 4 very specific power lifts in a gym to gain strength (as I don’t). The book The Barbell Prescription is a book by a physician, using their program for older adults. The beginning has a lot of information about the importance of strength training. But here are some articles from the SS people.
https://startingstrength.com/article...r-older-adults https://startingstrength.com/article...-people-my-age
https://www.greysteel.org/philosophy

This one might be a program more than encouragement, not sure, but I’ve had it on my wish list for a while because it sounds interesting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 02:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Is this the book:
Forever Strong: A New, Science-Based Strategy for Aging Well Hardcover
https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Stron...s%2C212&sr=1-1

our public library has 14 copies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I'm looking for books that encourage and motivate when it comes to strength training.
The weight training books I own are by Joyce Vedral, Men's Health, Women's Health and Muscle & Fitness Hers. Joyce's are the best. They have workouts in them, but her books also discuss why you should strength train, and has photos of older women's before and after pictures. She empowers you too. Granted these books were written years ago when there were very few weight training books geared toward women, but they're still applicable today.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 09:12 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Starting Strength has a lot of good content, even if you don’t subscribe to the idea that you must do 4 very specific power lifts in a gym to gain strength (as I don’t). The book The Barbell Prescription is a book by a physician, using their program for older adults. The beginning has a lot of information about the importance of strength training. But here are some articles from the SS people.
https://startingstrength.com/article...r-older-adults https://startingstrength.com/article...-people-my-age
https://www.greysteel.org/philosophy

This one might be a program more than encouragement, not sure, but I’ve had it on my wish list for a while because it sounds interesting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1
I would like to check out Starting Strength although I don't think I am it's intended audience as I strength train regularly and have for years.

I have done Original Strength programs and they are good but different than what people think of as strength training. They are basically body weight moves but not your typical push ups etc. It's all about getting you back to the movement abilities you had as a child. It is very interesting stuff. They have online streaming programs but what I did a few years ago was a specific program (Design your body) that had some live sessions. I am not sure what their streaming programs are like now. They do have basic entry level programs. I also took a workshop with them in NYC several years ago. Worth it to read the book to get an idea. You can check out their Youtube channel.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 11:01 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you have a library available visit it and see what they have. That way you can look through the books and even read some. You can also browse in a bookstore as long as you don't take too long.
Old 11-13-23, 11:47 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have done Original Strength programs and they are good but different than what people think of as strength training.

Worth it to read the book to get an idea.
Tim Anderson has several books. His first book is really expensive - used copy is $39 and up! unfortunately, our library doesn't carry any of his books, including e-book versions. His subsequent books are more affordable - are they just as good as the first? for example, the "Pressing Reset" or "Restoration" - are these similar?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 12:44 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
I would like to check out Starting Strength although I don't think I am it's intended audience as I strength train regularly and have for years.

I have done Original Strength programs and they are good but different than what people think of as strength training. They are basically body weight moves but not your typical push ups etc. It's all about getting you back to the movement abilities you had as a child. It is very interesting stuff. They have online streaming programs but what I did a few years ago was a specific program (Design your body) that had some live sessions. I am not sure what their streaming programs are like now. They do have basic entry level programs. I also took a workshop with them in NYC several years ago. Worth it to read the book to get an idea. You can check out their Youtube channel.
Thanks for the feedback on Tim Anderson’s stuff. I think I’ll put one of his books on my Christmas wish list.

Starting Strength believes in getting as strong as possible by the numbers in the barbell back squat, deadlift, bench press, and military press. I have also strength trained for a while and am fairly strong for my age, but they would still consider me a candidate to do the beginner progression because I haven’t maxed out 3 of these barbell moves in the gym for sets of 5, though I did up my deadlifts that way initially. They also have programs for what to do once you plateau form the beginner progression; it’s not only for beginners.

Not everyone agrees with them about everything. You certainly don’t have to do those specific exercises to get stronger. For anyone who likes podcasts, I prefer the guys at Barbell Medicine. They are powerlifters who used to be associated with Starting Strength, but branched off on their own and have a different approach. Starting Strength podcast can be either a hoot or really irritating, depending on your POV.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 12:56 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:

Love Tim Anderson and Original Strength. Jealous you got a live workshop!
YouTube has tons of his videos.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 01:40 PM  
Negin

Thank you all for all the recommendations, links, and suggestions. I'm excited about all this!
Old 11-23-23, 08:52 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I am currently reading Dr Lyon's book now and have read Outlive and several of Joyce's books. I think the need for muscle is critical. I watched my husband waste away from a degenerative nerve disease, and now my mom has lost significant muscle mass from a hip replacement where she spent a couple of weeks recovering from anesthesia delirium.

Muscle is the key to health and recovery along with fueling the muscle. I think Dr Attia's centenarian decathlon suggestion is a great target to aim at as we age.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, fitness books, gabrielle lyon, original strength, resistance training, strength training, tim anderson