Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-06-21, 02:13 PM  
cyana

Happy Labor Day. I worked Saturday and Sunday (including 12 hours yesterday ), and my hips were massively unhappy from all the sitting. I decided I'd hook up my TENS/EMS unit today and may not do any work. I'm hoping to do some qi gong and/or yoga later.

Beth - I watched your new video....playing around with what to prop the legs on has been one of my recent adventures. The rebounder with pillows, blankets or bolsters works pretty well. There can never be enough relaxation pose in my life this time of year! Let me know when you get your seat cushions - I'm anxious to see if you found a winner. I'm thinking perhaps a footrest would also be helpful in taking pressure off the backs of the legs.

Pat - LMAO at that video - I loved it when she said "and projectile vomit into the grass!" The location was absolutely lovely and I'd love to be walking, or doing qi gong or yoga there. I had an Irish great-grandmother that I never met. I heard she was a spunky red-haired, blue-eyed lass.

KarenJo - That sounded like a stressful week, but I'm so relieved to know that you didn't have to evacuate. Hope DH is able to get the arrhythmia to quiet down.

Paine - No JSP's or Hannah's at the Whole Wallet last week. I'm not familiar with the Murisaki potatoes. I can't blame your grandson for not wanting to go school with such a wonderful climate - as a kid I would've been out the door at the crack of dawn, coming in only for meals and staying out until my parents forced me to come in for the night! Alas, I am salaried, so you're expected to work however many hours it takes to get the job done.

Pam - LOL at your cane comment!!! I would definitely be dusting off my walking poles (which I need to do anyway ). Good for your friend for running for public office - perhaps getting her name out there will help her gain name recognition for future opportunities if she isn't successful this time around. Which air fryer oven did you get? I keep going around in circles over whether I really need one of those.

Sandra - Good for you for the work on your exercise room! I'm mortified at how many DVD's I have that are unused. I could see myself being more aggressive in parting with the excess these days versus in years past, so I'm taking that to be a good sign.

Margot
- I see you did the foot practice on MFML - that caught my attention, so it will definitely be on the list for this week and possibly even today. So do you buy packages of Sandra's classes? I quickly peeked at her site but need to watch her whole intro video at some point. Speaking of the heron on the roof, we were coming home from picking up our groceries a few weeks ago, and one of the neighborhood hawks (huge) was sitting on a neighbor's roof. It looked very elegant and definitely had a great 360 view of things.

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-21, 02:27 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, totally agreed about rest! I set up my SIL when I was taking restorative yoga training, and for her we used a big storage bin with a blanket over it. Of course, the more props the better! I think you are right about the foot rest, or maybe just to lift the right foot since that leg is longer. But the problem I run into at work is that my keyboard tray is low, so then I wind up bumping into it. Still working on it! Sorry about all of your sitting. Do you get a break today?

Speaking of props, I'm very excited that we have blankets and bolsters back in the studio!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-21, 05:46 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I'll start with Personals today and then come back and post my stuff. Don't want to get 500ed. Hasn't happened to me yet. Thanks to everyone for their support and good thoughts on our fire experience. Unfortunately, we have at least a couple of months of high risk left.

Sandra, thanks for the news on the fire near Auburn. I hadn't checked in the afternoon and DH's stepmom still lives there. Fortunately, she's on the opposite side of Auburn with a freeway and river between her and the fire and the wind is moving it away from her. She's packed and ready with a plan. She's 90 and a retired forest ranger.
I'm doing a lot of sorting of DVDs, too. But I will keep my stationary bike as I use it a lot. Not sure about the Pilates chair or the two (2!) Supreme Pilates. I did studio Pilates with two different well-trained teachers for almost 20 years and love it, but both of those are bulky to store and a pain to get out.

Pam, thanks for the links on the glute exercises. I need them for low back and hip issues but I have arthritis in my knees and so many things for the glutes are hard on the knees. I wish I had a good Pilates teacher where I am now. And I empathize on the limited walking. I love to walk and hike but have developed a foot issue that limits my range. Hope you improve enough soon to get back to moving.

Carolyn, let me add my sympathy for your loss of Zippy. Losing a pet is just hard.

Beth, I keep thinking I'll try your YouTube stuff as so much sounds like things I'd like, but I just haven't gotten into the habit of doing online workouts yet. One day. Would a yoga block be low enough for putting your foot on? It may not take much height and there are skinny ones.

Paine, I suspect the JSPs may be between crops right now. And the demand has gone up as their reputation grows so the distributors may have run through the stored ones early. Hopefully the Fall crop will be in soon. And here's hoping SoCal's wildfire season continues to be not bad.

Back with Part 2.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-21, 06:03 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

More Personals

Pat, I do envy all of your beach walks. I haven't been able to go to the beach for a couple of years and the reservoir close to us with Osprey nests was closed during nesting season the last two years so getting to read about your experiences was a nice sub. It is bittersweet to feel summer waning. But we're 100 degrees today and usually have nice Fall weather so I do look forward to that.

Margo, your DH was so fortunate to have a doctor right behind him in that marathon. I'm a retired RN who worked in cardiology for part of my career. Sometimes that just makes things harder and I have to be careful not to have DH decide I'm being bossy RN rather than concerned wife. Hope the changes your husband made do the trick. Concerned wife takes so much extra energy.

Garrie, it's good to hear that your move is proving so satisfactory. Nice workout rooms and making a life with your SO. It's good.

Cyana, I was salaried in retail management in the 90s so I really empathize on the long hours and bosses who think you should be willing to give up your life and health seasonally. I really hope you can find a satisfactory resolution for yourself. Good job on getting in the stealth exercise.

And I'll be back with me stuff. Not that there isn't an awful lot of me in these replies.

Old 09-06-21, 06:20 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

So far, so good on not getting booted to 500 purgatory for long posts.

I did get in all of my 'routine' workouts yesterday. Made me so happy. Besides the morning dog walk and yoga, in the early afternoon I did a section of Lee Holden's Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge, a 20-minute ride on my stationary bike accompanied by film of a shady forest, and the first 18 minutes of the upper body work from Squeeze Stronger, stopping when she go to waist work for a 'break.' I don't use the odd dead lift warm up on that last workout. Before bed I did the chair yoga Garden workout from Rodney Yee's Yoga for Meditation and then a 10-minute meditation on my comfy meditation cushion. I need to work back up to my 20-25 minutes but I think that won't take long if I keep at it. Felt very please with myself.

I did my yoga very soon after I got up this morning. We took the dog for her 3/4 mile walk before we had breakfast as it was heating up fast. I woke up at 4am so I'll keep my afternoon workout short and easy with just a 7-minute Qi Gong and an easy bike session. I've been delaying it so need to go do that. DH and I have been working on getting the dining room set up and doing things like that can be too much of an excuse for not working out. It does feel nice to chip away at the moving/unpacking/making it home stuff.

I can tell I've missed checking in as I get so chatty when I get back to doing it. Hope everyone has had a good Monday and Labor Day.

Old 09-06-21, 07:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s activities, lots of short segments:
~2km park walk, nice & flat, felt good!
~Go Strapless in 10 Days: Day 2 - So far this is looking & feeling good!
~PT exercises
~MFML: Adam’s Daily Feet Practice - Thanks for mentioning this one Margo & Cyana
~MELT: SI joint
~Beth's V.I.P. Yoga Supported Rest tutorial

KarenJo - I’m glad you’re able to settle back into a regular routine!

Cyana - I’m sorry you had to work on the weekend! I hope you got in some hip TLC today. My air fryer is not available on Amazon any more, but it’s virtually identical to this one. I’m very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Rotisserie-El...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Beth - That savasana was just what I needed!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-21, 07:47 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, glad you enjoyed the rest! I should rest with myself, LOL.

Karen Jo, sometimes I copy my post before posting to avoid the 500 error. I'm impressed with your meditation; I've been very inconsistent myself of late.

I got through my working on Labor Day without any urgent incidents - yay!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-07-21, 07:53 AM  
cyana

Quick post and run - I decided to "protest" yesterday and take the day off, since it was an official company holiday and my body was most unhappy.

Yesterday:
AM - breath meditations
PM - Lee's 9.6.2021 live streaming class (animal frolics, healing sounds, etc).

Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 08:04 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I am glad you went on strike! Sounds like you needed it.

I am working from home today and tomorrow; it's a weird schedule, but nice in some ways (e.g., I don't have to get up as early on the days I don't commute).

Happy Tuesday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-07-21, 08:07 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Oh it was hard to pull myself together last night after three days of doing whatever the heck I wanted and enjoying it. I wore pajamas until after 2:00 each day, then switched to yoga pants for a few hours. Yesterday was bouts of food prep, tidying up, reading and playing with my new oracle deck. "Officially" I did:

~ SarahBeth Yoga 10 Minute Bedtime Yoga in Bed
~ Yellow Brick Cinema Deep Sleep Music 24/7 while I drifted off to sleep (yummy)

Pam, the walking poles are way more your style than a cane. My DH had to use a cane when he sprained his knee but it suited him perfectly. Grumpy old man waves cane at children playing. Does your DailyOm strapless program have pushups/planks? I'm curious about it.

Cyana, good luck with your hips. I hope you get some much needed rest and healing today.

KarenJo, phew - 100 degrees with smoke, how awful. I sure hope you get relief soon.

Good morning to Beth, Paine, Sandra and anyone who joins us today!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote