Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-01-21, 09:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I probably mentioned this before, but I would have forgotten about "September" (the song), if it hadn't been played endlessly by one of the in-house bands on the cruise we took back in 2018.

cyana, hope you get to actually enjoy some of your favorite month!

Sandra, sounds like it was a good idea to use your PTO today, especially since even having the common cold these days can freak out other people.

Pam, sounds like you had a great time visiting family! Glad your PT was able to give you a (hopefully correct) diagnosis. Since I think I have a touch of "dead butt" myself, I'd be interested in the specific exercises you are doing for that.

Carolyn, thanks for checking out my website! I'm using Google Sites, which is pretty basic but which lets me customize just enough. How are you doing being back on campus? I still feel like I'm in this weird limbo with working on campus 3 days/week and remote 2 days/week.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 08:18 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Checking in after a seriously rattling night. I'm so fortunate that we got power back just in time for me to take a shower before work. The poor people in NY, LI and NJ. Seeing the rushing flood water in the subway reminded me of Super Storm Sandy. The first part of my day featured:

~ A four minute office stretch from FitOn (WW app)
~ 15 minute lunch walk in light rain
~ Lee Holden's original Qigong for Low Back Pain - sull series
~ 5,000 steps

I was late for work - will check back in a little while. Hoping none of you were affected by Ida.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 08:56 AM  
Twigs

Hello everyone!

I hope it's ok if I re-join your group? The year started off a bit bumpy. My DH had a second heart attack (blood clot in the heart), which knocked us both off kilter. Luckily, he sustained no heart damage and recovered fairly quickly. Still, it's hard for me to stop worrying, even though he's back to normal. We think we figured out the cause, so he's now remedied that.

I'm super excited that after 30 years of having hip problems, I finally found a program that has not only resolved the pain and stiffness in my pelvis but has increased my trunk flexibility and my strength. My body feels a lot more comfortable than it has in years. The only trouble is that my old trusty jeans keep falling down. I still have a few niggles around my neck and upper back, but I'm getting there.

Yesterday was:
- BG - Feel Good Party with Miranda. I really like these new short workouts from Heather and Miranda. The music is really great and the routines a lot of fun. Have you tried these yet Pam?
- HealthBarre Recorded Zoom 66m class. Really tough but good.
- Short Neighbourhood walk
- ETV Lauren Ageing Backwards Class. Lauren's a new favourite instructor. I like her earlier classes better but this was ok.

Today:
- Bellydance Booty Lift
- Karin Slings Essentials - Force Transmission

Beth - I've been enjoying your yoga classes on YT this year. For some reason, I've let all my other yoga practices slip.

Carolyn - I'm so sorry you lost your beloved cat Zippy. I was heart-broken when we lost our two. I agree, it certainly takes a lot of adjustment when they are no longer around. I still miss mine now.

Pam - It sounds as though you've had a great time away this summer. I'm glad you were able to get in some hiking despite your hip troubles. It must be a relief to have a correct diagnosis. Hopefully, the exercises your PT gave you will give you speedy relief.

Sandra - Hope you feel better soon and are able to get back outside to enjoy the nice weather. It will be such a relief to have the fires contained. It's so sad that these massive fires are a regular annual event now.

Cyana - I'm glad you enjoyed your week's break. Hope you're not too overwhelmed this week catching up. I wonder if your supervisor works the same gruelling hours as his staff?

Paine - Aww.. bless your grandson. I'm sure he'll settle into school once he's made some friends. It's all very scary at that age. All I remember about my first day of school was the horrible lunch! It put me off cabbage for years.

Pat - I've been hearing about the flash floods in New York on the news this morning. Hope you're not affected where you are. I loved hearing all the stories about the Ospreys this year. Your beach walks always sound wonderful. I wish I could join you.

Gary - Congratulations on moving in with your SO. Your new workout room looks awesome.

Waves to Karen-Jo. Good luck with your re-modelling.

Big Hugs to Sherry. I've fallen in love with my Instant Pot lately. I always think of you when I'm looking at trying new recipes.

Linda - Hope you're doing well.

Hope everyone has a great day.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 12:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I heard the news and was thinking about SSS too. Hope you and yours are okay!

Margot, great to see you back! Life definitely gets in the way sometimes, but we're always glad to have people join/rejoin. I'm honored that you have been able to stick with yoga via my channel! I feel bad that I haven't been able to film more lately but my "real" job keeps getting in the way. If there's anything special you want to see me do there, let me know.

Since I have been back in my office, I have noticed that even after sitting in my office chair for short periods, my left side/low back (QL area) begins to ache. My office chair is actually nicer than my chair at home, and I've tried to be as ergonomic as possible, including lumbar support, and I'm looking to get a seat pad as well. In the meantime, any other ideas? I feel like I'm sitting evenly and upright, but is there something I could be doing wrong without realizing it?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-02-21, 12:35 PM  
Garrie A.

Happy September! It seems like I've been MIA the past few weeks and month.

Work has finally slowed down and I'm back to my usual schedule (including teaching classes). And I'm used to the slightly longer work commute. I'm loving living with SO. It's been a change from living with my parents, but definitely worth it.

Here was last week for me:

Sunday:
Cathe's Gym Style Legs

Monday:
Work Max

Tuesday:
Cathe's Gym Style Back, Shoulders & Biceps (Did Chest & Triceps the Saturday before)

Wednesday:
Christi Taylor's Step Heaven (Warm-Up, Stages 1 and 2, Cool Down)

Thursday:
Kettlebells The Iron Core Way, Volume 1
Cathe's Step Boss PHA 3 (did the Bonus Lying Extended Stretch)

Friday:
No workout (unplanned rest day)

Saturday:
Cathe's 4 Day Split: Higher Intensity Step + Chest & Back (did the Weights First premix)
=============================================
And here's this week:

Sunday:
Caroline Girvan Epic Heat Day 11 (Awakened Glutes & Hamstrings Workout)

Monday:
P90X Chest & Back + Ab Ripper X

Tuesday:
AM: TAUGHT TNT class
PM: Unplanned rest day

Yesterday:
Lauren Brooks Ultimate Body Sculpt & Conditioning with Kettlebells (Joint Mobility Warm-Up)
Lauren Brooks Shut Up & Train (Workouts 1 and 2....bought in Mary's 4th of July sale and am just getting to it now. I'm already in with this DVD!), stretched on my own afterwards
TAUGHT Ab Express class

This morning I taught a Zumba class before work, and I don't know what I'll be doing tonight.

Back in a minute with personals...
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 12:53 PM  
Garrie A.

Beth: Thanks for starting us off! I love that Earth, Wind & Fire song. There's an instrumental version that plays in a few workout DVDs I own (KCM/Cardio Blast?, Christi Taylor's Hi-Lo Heaven, and I think Breakthru Cardio Step 2).

Cyana: September is my second favorite month (May is my favorite because it's my birthday )! I got my Cathe pre-order, too (pre-ordered back in May) but haven't gotten around to doing them yet. The balls I own are a Mitch Gaylord G-Ball (2 lb. ball that I use in place of the blue OOF during the Firm cardio workouts that use them), a Bender Ball, two 3 lb. balls (similar to Karen Voight's Green Genies), an 8 lb. ball I got at Five Below, and while I didn't bring it with me I also own a 5 lb. ball for Tracie Long's workouts. Oh, and my stability ball of course!

Sandra: Sorry to hear about your cold. Hope your knee is feeling better.

Carolyn: I saw the news re Zippy on FB. (((HUGS))) Our campus opened up to the public in July. It was nice to see new students come into the bookstore again even though rush was stressful.

Pam: Sorry to hear about your "dead butt syndrome" but glad you have a plan of action for it. When teaching strength classes I include a lot of posterior chain emphasis.

Pat: I was thinking of you during Henri and now Ida. Luckily here we didn't have flooding rains but there were several confirmed tornadoes several miles away (thankfully not us).

Margot: Welcome back!

Paine: Glad your grandson's first day of school went well.

I think my workout plans for September will be kettlebell-focused (mostly Lauren Brooks and Anthony Diluglio) with other things mixed in. Initially I was planning to start my third round of Cathe's STS this fall (October to December) but I'm loving playing with kettlebells right now.

Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 01:07 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I loved the Leonid and Friends and also Earth, Wind & Fire links--thank you! That was perfect for our new month.

Pam, wow, 100,000 steps is a lot! It's so nice that you saw extended family members.
It sounds like your PT has a good plan to remedy the pain you have been having.

Carolyn, you'll know when the time is right to bring a new cat into your home.

Pat, stay safe!!

Margot, welcome back! Thank goodness your DH is OK. My sister's DH died from his first heart attack--he didn't even know he had heart disease and he had not been ill.
I would love to know the program you used to resolve your pelvic problems.
My grandson took his lunch that his mom made for him to school so I'm sure he will enjoy it.
I love my Instant Pot and use it every week!

Beth, if the chair you used at home for work doesn't cause you problems, I would take it to work and use it there. It doesn't matter that the chair at work is nicer, what matters is if the chair causes you pain or not.

Hello to Garrie, Sandra and all who follow!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-21, 07:54 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, what's weird is that my work chair wasn't causing me the same issues before. I did recently try making some adjustments to make things more ergonomic, but maybe I tipped things in the wrong direction! It's hard because there are several things about my desk setup at work (keyboard position, leg room) that aren't ideal but that I have minimal ability to change.

Aww, Garrie, how sweet to hear that you love living with your SO! I felt that way when me and my now-DH moved in together. I liked hearing about all of your balls, haha. Do you actually own any of the Mitch Gaylord workouts? I used to and would use my 4# weighted ball. He was actually too tough for me! Keep us posted on your KB workouts; I'm still trying to continue more KBs myself, even if it's just adding in moves rather than a formal workout.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 09-02-21, 10:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello mat mavens!

My PT said I should hold off a bit on weight bearing cardio for a while & you all know how I love my cardio! If I walk I should keep it shorter, flat, & use walking poles for now. He also suggested swimming or cycling. So I decided to give DH’s recumbent bike a try. He has had it for quite a while & loves it, uses it more in winter. I am looking at doing more floor work for toning.

Today’s offerings:
~30 min program on DH’s recumbent stationary bike
~PT exercises
~B3: 10 min upper body
~Your Pilates Physio: Height Increase practice - I have a 30 day free trial to this site. It’s good, but a bit dry. TBH, I generally find Pilates a bit dry although I know it’s good for me.
~MELT: Upper body focus

Welcome back Margo! I’m glad your DH is doing well, that must have been very scary! I have done one of Heather’s new short BG workouts & enjoyed it.

Beth - As someone who doesn’t do well sitting for any length of time I don’t have any suggestions about your chair issues.

Here are two links, very similar to my PT exercises:

Internal hip rotation: https://youtu.be/MjY6eacPf0U

Clamshell: https://youtu.be/DonD0WXgK44
I’m using a resistance loop around my thighs & knees are only slightly bent, not 90 degrees. At the 1 min 20 sec mark, he stresses hip position which makes a huge difference. Top hip must stay slightly in front of the bottom hip, especially when you lift your knee, to be most effective.

ETA I’m doing 3 sets of 5 reps of each. I will increase 5 reps every week until I’m doing 3 sets of 20 reps. And only on my affected side.

Pat - I’m so glad you came through the storm okay!

Garrie - I’m so happy it’s worked out well for you & your SO!

Carolyn - I’m so sorry about Zippy.

Waves to Paine, Cyana, & all.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-21, 07:06 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!! The return to work has been grueling and unfortunately it looks like I'll be working over the three day week-end.

Wed:
20 squats using medium/heavy resistance tubing w/handles x 3 sets
20 biceps curls w/medium/heavy resistance tubing w/handles x 3 sets
50 stability ball crunches
breath-focused meditation

Thurs:
N.O. dump
50 stability ball crunches
mid-day walk
breath-focused meditation

I'm back into Stealth fitness/survival mode, as you can see, but I'm determined to do something every day, even if it's modest. I treated myself to 5 DVD's from the recent YMAA 50% off sale, and my package arrived yesterday. I got 3 of Marisa's DVD's (healing sounds, immunity and breathing) and 2 of Lee's (better balance and depression) and received a free video (not a DVD - you log into YMAA to watch), so I got Lee's healthy heart practice.

Beth
- I find myself lurching to the right during the work day, despite multiple efforts to stay centered. I'm hoping to try some adjustments to my office chair this week-end and have been giving serious thoughts to a seat pad (such as gel or memory foam) and perhaps a foot rest. My hips are killing me this morning.

Sandra - I hope your temps are staying down and that you're able to get out and do some walking (smoke and knee permitting). The mornings are definitely getting a bit cooler - seeing some 60's this week and it feels so nice. One of my co-workers has a nasty cold right now - tons of that going around all over the country.

Pam - I hope your P.T. has you on the right track now. Thanks for those video links - loved those cheery polka dot socks in the second link. I have walking poles that I haven't used in years. I should dust those off at some point and take them for a spin. Keep me posted on your progress.

Margot - Did you have your Zoom Yamuna class this week? Yamuna really "gets" the body, but I haven't used her videos nearly as much as I should have since they tend to be longer and more like workshops. Hopefully one day when I have a few minutes, I can run through the hip DVD and pick out a few moves to do on my own. I also like Lauren on ETV - I'd definitely classify her as a new favorite. And speaking of ETV and stiff old lady syndrome, it's probably been close to 2 weeks since I've used ETV - yikes.

Paine - I had to smile when you said your daughter made lunch for your grandson to take to school. On our son's last day of high school, DH calculated how many PB&J sandwiches he'd made for DS over the years and put a little note in his lunch bag to acknowledge that milestone. DS was such a picky eater growing up - at least we could buy good bread and organic peanut butter and jelly! Thankfully he's much more adventurous as an adult. I think Alton Brown's "Good Eats" was a good influence on his peers as they used to plan quite elaborate dinner parties when they were in college. When I went out for a walk yesterday, I went by the house with the little treasures in the flower/planting beds - little plastic dinosaurs, plastic "gemstones" (probably close to 2 inches across) and little plastic ladybugs. Like a good child, I stopped and checked everything out and got a big smile to take home.

Pat - Yikes, I didn't realize the NE was going to be pummeled by the Ida remnants. So many sad stories. I'm glad you didn't have anything worse than a power outage - and that you had a warm shower before work!

Garrie - Hooray that the bookstore rush is over. I love balls!!! LOL at the subjects we can discuss on a fitness forum - like me needing to let Cathe out of the box (which I still haven't done)! Balls are so darned versatile, it's hard not to find excuses to add new ones to the collection. Since I'm going to be in Stealth fitness mode for the next few months, which means I'll work in some exercises during the day, what are some of your favorite posterior chain moves that you'd recommend? I have a bookcase next to my desk and can stash some fitness toys in there.

Carolyn - I had to smile when you mentioned forgetting the log in to the Reference Computer. I've been getting the password change reminders this week and I always ignore them until the last minute, because I inevitably type the old password in for a day or two after I make the switch.

Time to get to the grind. Waves to ALL!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote