Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-23-21, 11:31 AM  
Vantreesta

Endurance Check-in Summer 2021~Swim Bike Row Run Hike Move!

Summer solstice the other day, I guess it's time for a new thread!

We are a diverse group of exercisers. We get knocked down but we eventually get up again and keep on going. We like hiking, cycling, running, rowing, swimming, power walking and more. We like to swap workout ideas, inspiration and challenges, whether it's a goal of walking every day or committing to a race. We get a little outside our comfort zones and yes, there may be whining, but in the end we are glad we did it. Onward and upward.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 12:10 PM  
Vantreesta

I really don't know why I wasn't posting last week or why my motivation has been low last week and this week. Anyway, here's what I did last week:

Mon 6/21 47 minutes DAD LEFT
47 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.11 mi)

Tue 6/22 129 minutes Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 44 crosstrain
19 minutes (from 1.5 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 43) MON
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT)
7 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing challenge day 1)
10 minutes (from PunchLab app wk1 workout1 Jab & Straight) SUN phone was having issues and app restarted my plan
17 minutes (from Kassandra Evening Yoga Movement day 5 Relaxing Yoga Stretches Before Bed, YT) 1st time
63 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.96 mi)

Wed 6/23 168 minutes
12 minutes (from walk to/from chiro)
7 minutes (from SanFran Fitness rebounding 5 min Mini Moves Series Day 6 Strong Shoulders, YT) 1st time
6 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing Challenge day 2)
12 minutes (from C. Jordan Hamstring Tendonitis Pain: Exercises That Will Help Heal Your Hamstrings part 2, YT)
11 minutes (from 1.0 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 45, treadmill)
9 minutes (from H. Clare Run Better With Yoga -Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT)
16 minutes (from L. Brooks BSR Month 1 Week 4 Strength 4)
18 minutes (from L. Brooks BSR Month 1 Week 4 Conditioning 4)
31 minutes (from J. Michaels Body Revolution Phase 1 Week 1 Workout 1)
12 minutes (from Strong Knees stretch)
34 minutes (from 2 dog walks 2.24 mi)

Thu 6/24 22 minutes
22 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.7 mi)

Fri 6/25 80 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Brooks Summer Swing Challenge day 3)
14 minutes (from Crossrope Swing Into Summer day 3)
17 minutes (from 1.51 mi for Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 47)
11 minutes (from H. Clare Runner Better With Yoga -Post-Run Recovery Yin Yoga for the Hips, YT) 1st time
31 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.42 mi)

Sat 6/26 8 minutes BAKING WITH FRIENDS Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 48 rest-done
8 minutes (from 1 dog walks .68 mi)

Sun 6/27 25 minutes Run With Hal app 15k Base Training Plan day 49 rest-done
25 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.71 mi)

Yesterday was grocery day and I couldn't get myself to run in the heat when I got home from that. I finally ran my 2.5 mi at 8:50 last night then did Caroline Jordan HHT exercises and then Helen Clare's piriformis exercises and quick post-run yoga. I took too long between sessions on my PunchLab app workouts and it wants me to restart week 1 again but I think I will just wait a couple weeks when it will be easier to commit to it. I'm also taking a couple weeks off from the kettlebell paper workouts I've been doing. Planning to finish up Lauren's swing challenge this week and do some jumping rope and TTSL workouts plus running.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-29-21, 02:09 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I’ve been out of the loop a while, but I’m still here. I went on my backpacking adventure. It was fun, but group dynamics, the heavy pack, and a painfully slow pace made it less than I was hoping it would be. But other aspects of the trip were great, including Dollywood, zip lining, whitewater rafting, and hanging out in Asheville.

I got a little off with my fitness while focusing on the trip. While of course walking is fitness, that’s all I did. It took me a few days to recover, but now I got my mojo back. I’ve done a few Peloton rides and did Body Pump this morning.

I hope you’re all doing well!

Alison
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 02:41 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I am waaay out of the loop! But here now.

Alison, your pictures look amazing! And it sounds like a great getaway, despite the threat of bears. Are you still working from home?

Vantreesta, how hot is it there? Seems like a lot of areas are having unusual heat this year.

We were in CO last week, finally visiting the in-laws. My FIL seems to be declining rather quickly. He's had COPD forever and been on oxygen 24/7 for years. He seems a lot more frail than when we saw him 2 years ago, and is starting to have memory and other cognitive issues. Every single morning, he would get up and basically harangue DS about speaking and reading Chinese. He couldn't seem to understand that the kids learn Mandarin and he speaks Cantonese. The written characters are the same, but they're learning a new, simplified version and can't read the characters he shows them. DS was quite patient but it didn't make for a fun trip. We also didn't really do anything but sit around the house a lot. They don't even have Internet so my kids were stuck playing board games and whatever they could do on their tablets without that. I had hoped to do some paddleboarding but all we managed was one outing to the bowling alley and one to a park.

I'm having a rough month. I've had a cough on and off for 6 months. Took antibiotics in January, steroids, in February, was OK for a while and then got COVID in April. Cough started up again and I ended up seeing a new allergist 3 weeks ago. Finishing up 3 weeks of antibiotics and 5 days of steroids and STILL coughing. So now they'll do some imaging and in the meanwhile I am so exhausted.

I'm also having some weird hormonal stuff--my period started 3.5 weeks after the previous one and is now on day TWELVE. My gyno is of course on vacation for 2 weeks so the MA is supposed to talk to another doctor and get back to me.

We're heading to ATL July 10-17 to visit my dad and grandma and I'd really like be healthy before that!

On a positive note, an old friend of mine is coming to visit next week and I am looking forward to seeing her. I've been doing rowing workouts again and really enjoying those. There are a lot of wildfires here and with this cough, I don't want to be outside or with others much so am making use of all my indoor workout options!

Hi to Daphne, Cleda, and anyone else hanging around!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 04:09 PM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday's workouts: Before breakfast I did a 15 minute Leslie walk that showed up in my YT notifications the other day and a 10 minutes Kassandra yoga practice. In the afternoon I did glute activation, swing challenge day 4, Crossrope challenge day 4, TTSL weekly workout #183 The Git Up scaled (4 RFT: 11 seated pullups, 12 plank burpees, 13 med ball tossups), TurboFire Stretch 10, 1 mi run and Kassandra's Evening Yoga Movement day 6.

Getting myself to do anything has been a struggle but I did finally get some housework done today. Haven't worked out yet but I WILL!

Pratima, it had been in the 90s but we're in the 80s now with 90s coming back next week. Way too hot too early (June was). The humidity was lower for a while but it's back to more typical in the 70s and 80s. Ugh.

Old 07-01-21, 10:47 AM  
Vantreesta

Last night I ran my mile, did day 5 of the swing challenge and hamstring work and a quick stretch. I had planned more but I got started late and wanted to shower before I made supper so I said good enough, at least I showed up!

Old 07-08-21, 01:01 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I swam today! I think it was the first time in 5 years. 500M. Back and shoulders already are sore. But I swam today.
Old 07-08-21, 02:28 PM  
Daphne M

I'm here too!
I've been quiet because:
hamstring problems
mad rush at work ahead of board meeting
then vacation(!) to Wyoming
then came back with toothache but had to suffer through it for a week until I could get my root canal yesterday
and now on day 4 of 5-day home improvement project that's very disruptive

I'm easing back into a routine tomorrow. My hamstring is still bothersome, but I can get back to the chiropractor in a few more days. My visit before vacation helped a lot but I think he needs to use the cold laser instead of just the graston technique and scrapers. I've got a ton of scar tissue built up.

My vacation was fantastic. I went with Jamie and we were very compatible travel companions. Grand Teton National Park is probably my favorite place I have ever been in my whole life. It's stunning. We saw moose, elk, bison, pronghorn, eagles and a bunch of other critters. No grizzlies but we carried bear spray with us. We hiked in GTNP nearly every day. A couple of the hikes were really tough and the altitude made it especially tough on me. (Jackson is 6,500 feet elevation and climbing in GTNP is even higher.) My pride took a hit because I consider my cardio capacity to be pretty good but I had to stop to catch my breath several times while Jamie just went flying by up the mountain.

One day we drove up to Yellowstone instead and did some hiking, visited Old Faithful, etc. Another day we got kayaking lessons and ended up doing whitewater kayaking for 9 miles down the Snake River. They were kind of like "trainer" kayaks, because if I'd been in a real kayak, I probably would have drowned. Even in the trainer kayak, I went for a bit of a swim. I loved it.

We also hung out in Jackson, ate at some great restaurants, went to the rodeo one night, got massages at our hotel, did a little window shopping and just had a fantastic time overall.

We had some excitement on our return to DC. We were waiting at baggage claim at Reagan airport when the tornado alert went off at the airport and we were told to seek shelter and avoid windows. Um, it's an airport. We are surrounded by windows! Fortunately they lifted the alert after a few minutes. Not gonna lie -- I was scared!

So today, I did a 2.25 mile run/walk.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 12:19 PM  
Vantreesta

Quickie for now: got home last night after a week in Indiana with my family. I did run two times and went for one walk but that was the extent of my fitness quest. I ate a bunch of desserts and hope Friday's weigh in won't be too painful! This week will be a reset getting back into my routine. I will run this week and next week I will resume my rotation. It was a good week but it's good to be home!

Old 07-14-21, 11:30 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Sounds like we’re doing a lot of traveling finally! Daphne, your trip sounds amazing! I went to the GTNP and Jackson Hole when I was in HS. I didn’t appreciate it at the time, but I’m glad I got to go.

I am loving the pool! I discovered the neighborhood pool down the street has lap swim late morning, so I can take an early lunch break and go swim. I’m up to 1000M. It’s slow and probably ugly form, but whatever. Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time since February 2020 and ran on the treadmill (way too gross out to run outside). It felt odd to be at the gym, but I guess it’s okay.

Next Wednesday is my 1-year Pelo-versary. I can’t believe I’ve been using that app so long.

I have not been on the rower in forever. I need to work that back in, but I’m going to use the pool while I have it since it’s only open until Labor Day. I did notice there’s a rower at the gym, but I didn’t look closely to see what kind and what, if any, bells and whistles it has.