Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-20, 12:27 PM  
sherry7899

Question for bookworms

I normally have my library order books for me, but of course they are closed. Even though I have a ton of unread books, I am craving getting new books. I have ordered a bunch from Amazon.

Is anyone else going through new book withdrawal?

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 12:34 PM  
buffmama

Yes. For the first time I started reading ebooks. Not the same, but still fun.
Old 04-29-20, 12:43 PM  
alisoncooks

Yep. I ordered some books at the beginning of all this (secondhand) but that makes me nervous now -- not knowing where they're coming from. I've been making use of a Kindle Unlimited trial, but honestly, it doesn't have many I want to read. I've ordered a few ebooks.

But yeah...feeling discontent, lol. I was partway through a book series when the library shut down. I'm #16 in line for the remainder of the trilogy. The actual physical book is sitting in the library, about 500 ft from my front door.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 01:04 PM  
Erica H.

Yes! I am running out of books to read at home and I don't like e-books.

DH has thousands of books, but he's a collector and I don't want to read his books because I'm nervous about damaging them.

I wish I had known the libraries were closing ahead of time! I would have stocked up.

My daughter worked at the library and even she didn't know the library was closing until a few hours before they did.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 01:10 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I’ve been into ebooks for a long time, my library has a good selection. I was traveling a lot & ebooks are great for that plus they go back to the library all on their own. Audiobooks are nice sometimes. I’ve often done a big long stretch session or jumped on my rebounder while I listen to an audiobook.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 01:12 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Yes! I am running out of books to read at home and I don't like e-books.

DH has thousands of books, but he's a collector and I don't want to read his books because I'm nervous about damaging them.

I wish I had known the libraries were closing ahead of time! I would have stocked up.

My daughter worked at the library and even she didn't know the library was closing until a few hours before they did.

Erica
I do not like e books either.

We happened to be at our library the last day it was open. A reference librarian I am friendly with saw me and told me they likely would be shutting down. I finished all the books I checked out that day.

Old 04-29-20, 01:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I do not like e books either.

We happened to be at our library the last day it was open. A reference librarian I am friendly with saw me and told me they likely would be shutting down. I finished all the books I checked out that day.
i have been using the online audiobooks offered through the library. ours have 2 services, and might have added more due to the shutdown. i kwym about pdf-style books - i only use them if i need to look up something really fast. it is hard to read an e-book, which is why i prefer the audiobooks that you can download from the library.

audiobooks allow you to be hands-free. i've listened to them on my walks.

by the way, i am a huge library patron and at any point in time, i usually have 30 "physical" books checked out - i've read almost all of them that are still checked out to me!

i've read some of my personally-owned books >1x - like the Harry Potter series, Clive Cussler, and Star Wars. you might consider that too - go back and read your favorites.

hang in there - this too shall pass!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 01:53 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I make good use of my library and don't normally buy many books, except maybe used ones at book sales. When the library closed I decided that I will get through those random books that are on my shelf. I couldn't get into some of them, but one or two others were good. I'm halfway through one and already wondering what I will do next. Then just now, in the mail, I received a book from a friend with a note saying she thought I might be interested in it. It's 300 stories and events in American history, one page each. Perfect! That's about my attention span now

I probably will give in soon and start shopping for some light English cozies.
Old 04-29-20, 01:55 PM  
sherry7899

Louise, I used to frequently read light English cozy books. Which authors do you like?

Old 04-29-20, 02:18 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Louise, I used to frequently read light English cozy books. Which authors do you like?
Honestly, I can't think of their names I would have to go along the shelves until something looks familiar. Then I check inside to see which is next in the series. And right now even the characters' names escape me.

Okay, just remembered the Kate Shackleton mysteries, 1920's. That's one of my more recent finds. I've been branching out more into different genres so everything is kind of jumbled.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, ebook, ebooks, reading