Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-21, 10:10 AM  
donnamp

Thanks Erica and Alison - I think I will start w/ one of her beginner 20 min rides and see how it goes. Her channel for spin looks great, as does her strength channel. Low dread...

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 10:50 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Thanks Erica and Alison - I think I will start w/ one of her beginner 20 min rides and see how it goes. Her channel for spin looks great, as does her strength channel. Low dread...

Donna
If you love her half as much as I do, you'll be thrilled!

Have fun!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 12:11 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I don't know about spin bikes but I went to the local bike shop to buy my road bike. I'm 5'2" and they fitted me with a men's bike that works. Turns out I really don't like riding in town so I bought a trainer and just ride it on that in the basement. I don't know if you can use a trainer the same way as a spin bike though. I have never pedaled standing up on it and not sure how comfortable I would feel doing so. Probably doesn't help much, just wanted to say being fitted for a bike helps! Hope you get some helpful answers!
This is how I spin (using the Peloton app or Aaptiv). You absolutely can stand and pedal with your bike on a trainer, and honestly, I find it easier to do than standing and pedaling while riding on the roads, because the trainer holds the bike steady for you.

There is a learning curve with how to match your gearing to an instructor's calls for resistance, and unlike a spin bike, you can't just add "1-2 points" or "half a turn" of resistance -- your next gear is whatever it is, and might be more or less resistance than you want at any given moment (and it's not practical to be jumping off the bike to adjust the tension on the back wheel while you're riding).

I've never seen a spin bike marketed as being specifically designed (or particularly good for) people with shorter legs. All of them have adjustable saddles, though -- you might try to find out what an appropriate saddle height would be for you (usually the saddle should be level with your hip, but there are plenty of videos out there that show you how to fit a bike to your specs) and then do some research to see if there are any bikes with a post of no more than that length.

Barring that, a road bike on the trainer would be an excellent option, as bikes come in different heights and can be specifically fitted for you (and also can be taken off the trainer if you ever get a hankering to ride outdoors).
Old 10-13-21, 12:34 PM  
Vantreesta

Thank you for the feedback, Hazel! Maybe I will try out of the saddle at some point!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 08:39 AM  
dlb

I'd like to try this on a trainer -any suggestions what to look for? I havent used my bike in a long time because I dont care to street ride.
I've wanted a spin bike for awhile but hesitate as I dont want it to sit unused.
My husband has a recumbant which I use on occasion.

Ideas? Thanks

Debbie
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 04:53 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
I'd like to try this on a trainer -any suggestions what to look for? I havent used my bike in a long time because I dont care to street ride.
I've wanted a spin bike for awhile but hesitate as I dont want it to sit unused.

Ideas? Thanks

Debbie
Kurt and Cyclops are the two brands I recall -- neither is super cheap, but we've had ours for nearly 20 years and it has worked great for two riders (one being a 6'4", 200 lb man) for all that time with zero maintenance required. This is similar to the one we have:

https://www.cycleops.com/product/mag-trainer

You might check on eBay to see if you can get a good used one for somewhat less than new. You also might consider going to a bike shop and asking them to show you the different options, maybe even bring your bike and learn how to set it up. It take a bit of practice, but is not super difficult to get your bike on and off (assuming you ever take it off).
Old 10-14-21, 05:12 PM  
jackie7

The Peleton website tells you what inseam you need to be able to use their bikes. My inseam was too short.
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 05:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post

Ideas? Thanks

Debbie
Mine is very basic. I paid I think $50 for it on Amazon. A fancier one would be nice but so far I haven't ridden enough to justify anything that costs more. Let me know if you want the link to what I got.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 08:34 PM  
carly

It will probably take some research on your part, but inseam does make a difference. If its not right it can be hard on your knees, back, etc. I am short and have a Sunny Bike I got from Goodwill for $25. It works for me and my 6'2" husband. That said I prefer my road bike on a trainer as it is much more custom in fit and I have sensitive knees.

https://thetonedwoman.com/the-best-s...-short-person/

https://www.firstlightcycling.com/sp...-short-person/

https://sunnyhealthfitness.com/produ...SABEgIouvD_BwE
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-21, 08:38 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Mine is very basic. I paid I think $50 for it on Amazon. A fancier one would be nice but so far I haven't ridden enough to justify anything that costs more. Let me know if you want the link to what I got.
I would like the link
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike trainer, bikes, kaleigh cohen, spin bike, spin bikes