Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos > Beginners FAQ
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-02, 07:07 PM  
Rainy L.
VF Supporter

Another Tip

Step lightly--no stomping. I learned this one from Keli Roberts on the Cher tape. Before learning this, I would step heavily as a percussive accompaniment or counterpoint to the music (I know, I know--but I can't believe I'm the only one who's done this!).

In the Cher tape, Keli would become quite stern about the stomping, and I'd sheepishly lighten my step.

Do 5 good Kegels right now!
Rainy L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 10:13 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Not sure about Gilad.

I'm not sure if Gilad's step workout would be right for this woman. Granted, it's a very nice tape. However, larger steppers may have more long-lasting problems with step intensity than with step choreography -- after all, they're lifting more up. And Gilad's workout is stepping all the way through, with no breaks. A workout in which stepping sets alternate with other activities might be better for her.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 11:14 AM  
EileenS
VF Supporter

Cindy,

All the advice you've received so far is great. I just wanted to add how I approached learning to step and maybe that will help you a bit. (Or at least show you that some of us take a while to learn!)

I started step without having done any type of hi-lo before, nor any previous video exercise. Step just struck me as an indoor exercise I might actually do, so I bought a cheap step and a video and went at it.

I did my normal exercise routine (walking then) for cardio. When I had an hour to spare on the weekend, I put in the tape and tried some of it, rewinding as I needed to get the moves. I might only "do" 15 minutes of the tape in that hour, but that was ok -- I'd already had my cardio exercise, this was just playing with a new toy. After about 4 hours of playing, I felt ready to try it as exercise. Sure, I messed up a lot, but pretty soon could get an aerobic workout from the tape.

The next step tapes were much easier to learn. I still let myself play with a new tape a few times until I felt comfortable. After learning about 4 different step tapes, I felt like I had the basics down and began trying other tapes after just a preview.

Good luck with this -- don't get discouraged! I bet most people catch on a lot faster than I did :-)
Old 03-07-02, 11:16 AM  
ascubanut
VF Supporter

Smile Reebok, The Video

Cindy,

I have an extra Reebok video I will send you for SASE if you want it.

BTW, is your step full size or the home version? The full size step has a black rubber pad covering the top. The home version doesn't have the pad and is only about 28" in length.

Sending you a PM.

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere." - Dr. Seuss
ascubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-02, 12:23 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Smile take a class if you can

I took my first step class when i belonged to Ballys about 12 years ago...i tried it on a sat. morn when i had been out the night
before (i was in my 20's)...so i decided to start out using the step platform alone with no risers. It was definitely the way to go. I had to laugh as i went one way and the rest of the class went the other....fortunately i improved with time and practice.

i recommended starting using the platform alone (or as someone else recommended--just learn the routine on the floor with no step)...I also suggest taking a few live classes if you can.
don't worry about if other people are watching you--they are busy focusing on their own efforts.

i still have my kathy great buns & thighs tape..even though i don't do much step anymore. it's a great one..

good luck!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-02, 12:49 PM  
Christine S.
VF Supporter

Talking Don't despair!

Maybe sharing my first step experience with you will help:
I took a live step class when I was about 21; my previous experience with exercise included about 3 years of hi-lo classes as well as a few years of dance training, so I walked in to this class feeling pretty confident.
All was well until about 5 minutes into the class, when the instructor had us do a knee-up to the corner. To make a long story short; I hadn't placed the risers under my step correctly (one was too close to the middle of the platform), and when I put my foot on the right side of the step, the platform flipped up and over off of the risers, and I slipped and fell on my knees .
To add insult to injury, not only did the instructor *not* come over to help me, she just gave me a dirty look like "Why are you disrupting my class, you idiot?" (I realize that the instructor herself, not I, was a big part of the problem, not only by failing to make sure I hadn't killed myself, but by not making sure I had put the step together correctly in the first place.)

*Anyway*, I kept up with it by doing the following:
* taking classes with an instructor who took time with beginners
* buying the Reebok Step (the risers click into place)
* getting a few beginner tapes-- I found that the "Buns of Steel 7" tape-- though cheesy-- was helpful. Like others here, I also found the original "Step Reebok" tape great.

I am now a step fiend--and even became a step instructor myself! So don't despair!

--Christine
Christine S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-02, 02:31 PM  
debclements

Which step to buy?

Hi all-
I'm going to be purchasing one of those long steps as I've added Cathe tapes to my collection and wondered which one is the best to get?

I've checked locally and the only thing I can find is the Reebok System at $79.99. It starts at 6" and goes to 10" and inclines.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Thanks-
Deb
debclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-03, 07:10 PM  
vdub

Recent stepper

You sound just like me. I'm new to stepping, too. Thought I was too old (41) and fat and uncoordinated. But guess what! I can step! I started with Gin Miller's Step Reebok, the very first one. It's so simple and well-cued, and repetitious enough to follow. This one was the icebreaker for me. Also, when you first start, don't try to do the arms. It's just too much all at once. Then I moved to Kathy Smith's Step Workout. I'm working my way up (slowly) to Cathe Friedrich--the ultimate!
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-03, 11:56 PM  
vdub

Re: Which step to buy?

Quote:
Originally posted by debclements
Hi all-
I'm going to be purchasing one of those long steps as I've added Cathe tapes to my collection and wondered which one is the best to get?

I've checked locally and the only thing I can find is the Reebok System at $79.99. It starts at 6" and goes to 10" and inclines.

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Thanks-
Deb

Wal-Mart.com has The Original Club Step (the purple and green one like Cathe uses) for about (can't remember exactly) $57.00. Also, I'm sorry, I can't remember who, but someone in Video Exchange is willing to trade a step for two videos. If you want to spend some time searching, you may be in luck.
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-03, 02:29 AM  
CJ 5

This is a great thread.

What I did to start stepping was order some old used videos from amazon... Fonda/Smith/Reebock/Gilad/Gin those recomended.. I found watching them as I was eating breakfast and previewing helped.

I also work throught the first 20 minutes and then rewind it and do the beginning over. I am learning and it is a whole lot less frusterating.... I am not coordinated but I think Fondas are the best so far but I don't have the sansone one recommended as I got 4 dollar tapes rather than the newer ones.

I wouldn't recommend reebok the video as I found it incredibly depressing they act like drones in the video and none of them smile. I forgot this was the tape that came with my step and had already given it to charity and rebought it... I think doing step a few times mixed with other stuff helps too.

for those buying a step I have mixed feelings about my reebok... it clicks into place nicely and makes a good weight bench but starts at 6 and goes in bigger increments...for me it was a good choice but if you want a step to grow with I would go with the one everyone recommends with risers... I read on cathe's sight that they will soon make a mini cap set that will be great for step ups and fanny lifter type moves.
CJ 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slower step workouts, step, step without a step