Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-21, 06:00 PM  
manleym

Hi All!

Bee thanks for posting the link to Kat's step workout. I joined you Friday and was glad! It was FUN!! I used 2 risers per side, which was perfect to increase the intensity. I liked that the choreography was basic. No real thinking on a Friday, which is really nice. I do wish her cues were louder. Sometimes I feel like I'm asking, "What?? Couldn't hear you!" But I never missed anything so I guess she's JUST loud enough. I LOVED the Pat Benatar, Annie Lennox, and FYC songs! Great memories! Would have liked them to have been longer. And of course, hubby had to chime in and say, "hey, that's the 'scoop, there it is' song". Didn't care for the Miami song. Not my style and just too long. Sounds like I'm complaining but didn't mean to. It's a really good and fun workout! And length is perfect!

For Surprise, Surprise, Surprise Saturday I started with Kit Rich's 5 Minute Warm-up, then did Caroline's Fearless Full Body Dumbbell Workout Complex Epic II- Day 45 and loved it of course! Another awesome total body strength workout by Caroline! It was a great slow total body strength so you could lift as heavy as you are able. Each move is performed 3 times with a 20 second rest in between, so again, not much thinking, just doing. Really easy to go deep in the moves. Between each "set" she had some compound moves, but the workout is mostly isolation. I finished with 15 Five Parks Yoga Min Post Workout Deep Stretch Yoga Class. Caroline is going to be doing EMOM workouts next week. That will be interesting and good since I don't think I've explored many of those types of workouts. If I have, I didn't realize what it was called.

Bee thanks for posting the links to Hamelin workouts. I'll check them out.

Oops, gotta run! Back later friends!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 08:26 AM  
ChelePA

Thanks Kim...Maybe I'll add chapters of Christie's step as a warm-up or finisher to my March challenge with Anna.

Bee...I do plan on following the March routine with Growingannanas then add on other instructors daily since Anna's workouts are usually 30-40 minutes including warm-up and stretch.

Manleym...funny that you think Kat's cues are too quiet. She had multiple people complain that her voiceovers were too loud and they would prefer to hear the music better so she changed things up recently.

I can't make this stuff up ladies. So Kat was talking about how bungee trampolines are so much better than spring trampolines when she started her rebounding workouts. Saying the extra money is worth it. When my husband purchased mine for Christmas, he was clueless and bought something simple. Not sure if I was going to like it since I never did these type of workouts. Well after 2 months, I absolutely love using it. I was still in my return window so I decided to get a Leaps and Rebounds 48 inch mini trampoline and return the original. Great sale...under $200 versus the competition. Yesterday, my husband was trying to fold my spring rebounder to fit back into the box and it snapped backwards and smashed him in the face. Blood everywhere...I thought he broke his nose...still not 100 percent sure he didn't do something. Gash across his nose that wouldn't stop bleeding. He refused to go to the ER yesterday so I am hoping when he wakes up the bleeding has stopped. When I changed the dressing last night before bed, it was still oozing. If not stitches, then maybe a butterfly bandage. Fingers crossed!!! Between Winston, my daughter and now him, I think I need a stiff drink, maybe a few...and I don't really like alcohol...haha.

Everyone fell asleep in various rooms of the house so I didn't have access to my workout room. Anna's HIIT it Harder Day 7 was a 15 minute stretch routine. Simple exercises held for 30 seconds so I looked at Caroline's Sunday HIIT. Yikes!!! Not happening...too high impact since I was working out on the second floor and I needed a break from burpees. I am not a fan of EMOM. Never liked the structure of Crossfit. I prefer to work at the same pace as the instructor even if that means lowering my weight or modifying a cardio move. I don't like Caroline's complexes either. Counting my own reps, etc. Having said all that, I decided to give her Low Impact EMOM a try from August 9, 2020. The breakdown as follows:

LOWER BODY x 10 sets in total!!!
Alternating rear lunges x 20
Squat pulses x 10
Squats x 10

REST FOR 1 MINUTE

UPPER BODY x 9 sets in total!!!
ALTERNATING LEG RAISE PUSH UPS x 20
PLANK UP & DOWN x 10

REST FOR 1 MINUTE

CORE & ABS x 8 sets in total!!!
CRUNCH PULSES x 20
CRUNCH x 10
ALT HAND TO FOOT REACH x 10

I liked that I could keep pace with Caroline for this one. The upper body portion was very tough for me. At some points, I was just holding a plank and alternating legs. As expected, I couldn't wait to finish this workout. Way too much repetition for my taste. I felt accomplished but I don't see me returning to these type of workouts. It's definitely an incredible challenge especially the High Impact one she posted today.

Looking forward to the sunshine next week. Have a great day!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 12:46 PM  
fanofladyvols

Omg your poor husband ChelePA!!

I gasped!

If it scars, he should say it's an old UFC injury

Seriously hope he gets it looked at if you can talk him into it.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 01:13 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh no, Chele! That sounds awful! I sure hope he didn't need stitches because I think if you don't get them "right away" then it's trouble. I had that with a cut on my finger once. Poor guy! And you! You DO need a stiff drink! Maybe later in the day.....

I'm not sure what size rebounder I have, but I noticed it is definitely not as big as the ones in Trampit, so I couldn't do the moving stuff as well as they could. I also wanted to ask you about the bounce.... when I first started I could not keep sync with them and I thought "this is why I never do rebounder workouts" but at some point I noticed they were not really bouncing, they were sort of more stepping. When I did that I stayed in time with them better. Do you have trouble with that?

And finally..... I cannot believe you made it through that workout this morning! That sounds very tough! I'm not a fan of the EMOM stuff, either, though these days I'm ok with not staying right up with the instructor. I think these youtube workouts have helped "cure" me of that.

This morning I really did do a "Slow Sunday"..... I did the Inner Dimension Flexibility and Beyond Hips practice. It was delicious!! Hope to maybe get out for a walk later. It's gorgeous here, though maybe a little chilly.

manleym, I'm glad you enjoyed that Kat! I have a hard time deciphering her words sometimes -- I'm not sure it's a volume issue for me. That Caroline workout sounds like a good one -- again, I took notes.

Wondering if horusosiris or anyone else will be joining me for the NBA All Star game later today. I'm actually pretty psyched about this.

Have a great day, all!!
Old 03-07-21, 01:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Sunday, Watulans!

So much to catch up on! DH was on vacation this week and we had a number of projects on tap. I also had a setback with my leg--my own fault but still frustrating. Fortunately it was only a short setback and by Saturday it was better. I'm still being very careful in my workouts. This week I've done Change 1 and 2 again, Cathe Live #64 Drill Max, and several Kat step workouts without the step. One of the Kat's I did was her first Express workout and the &*^% ads were right in the middle of moves, so I know just what Chele was talking about. It's the only Kat workout that I've done that has ads in the middle. Annoying enough that I will never do that one again. I have found that I have to do the advanced or intermediate to advanced Kats or they are too easy for me both in intensity and in choreography. Of course I've done them without the step this week so I could very well feel differently once I use the step again.

Chele, first off, don't worry about the postage for the spin DVD. Just PM me your address and I'll send it to you. Consider it a belated birthday present and well deserved after the craaaaazy week (couple of weeks!) you've had! From Winston to the surgery scheduled at the last minute to the Locked In the Bathroom and Can't Get Out incident to your husband's UFC battle with the rebounder, it's been a birthday week + to remember for sure (or maybe to forget??). Your DH probably should get his nose looked at or it could heal weird or something could get infected? I'm no doctor but I'm sure you at least would feel better if he went to a professional. I think that you all will laugh about all once some time has passed. It sure has been a memorable time for your family! In my house it would have been the right time for drinking the Sh@tshow wine that we bought but haven't found the appropriate time to try it. Maybe substitute peanut M&Ms since No Sugar February is now over!! Good thing you were there to be the glue holding it all together---you and Winston, now that his Jerky Big Adventure is over, more or less.

And Chele, good for you for completing x77!! I did it one time when I was doing the Cathe chronological rotation. Yes, by the end I was grabbing the tiniest weights, but still finished it. It's definitely an accomplishment you should be proud of. Oh, and as an aside, yes, a day without peanut butter doesn't happen in this girl's life. Every day for me! Your birthday treat sounds DELICIOUS.

manley, I sometimes can't hear Kat's cues either. I think she's trying to find the perfect balance between the music and the voiceovers. To me the cues are more important to the music, and on some of the workouts I find it hard to follow the cues when the music is so loud. I'm now becoming a little more familiar with her terminology for the moves so it's not as confusing. Still, I'm not one that likes blasting music during a workout. No matter how good it is it can be a distraction and when I'm doing more complicated moves on the steps distraction can mean tripping, at least for me.

Kate, I also love BJ Gaddour but I know some don't care for his humor. It can be a little rough, but it doesn't bother me at all and he makes me laugh.

Ugh, I have to run to the store since I'm making molasses cookies to send to my sister for her birthday and need a few ingredients.

More later! Waves!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 04:48 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Growing Annanas means Growing Pineapples...hmmm. I know she wanted others to grow strong and healthy. I guess that's the meaning behind the title of her channel??? I always found it a curious name....didn't realize it meant pineapple. I thought it was a variation of the name Anna in Austria...haha.
Yes, ananas means pineapple in French except we write it with 1 "n" instead of 2. I wonder if she knows it means that or she was making a variation of "bananas" using her name.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 04:49 PM  
ChelePA

Bee...my spring trampoline did not have bounce if you know what I mean. It was gentler on my joints versus the floor...but still had much tighter resistance so any slower movements I could not keep the beat. I think I had a 38 inch model. My new model is 48 inches. I love the extra room. Not as concerned where my feet will land. I often hit the springs with my smaller rebounder. Plus the bounce is so soft and fun! The larger model actually gives a little more spring to my movements versus the firmer bounce of a smaller model. I have to remember that the goal is not to jump higher but that the force should be towards the trampoline to work the leg muscles. I can already feel a difference with the bungee cords versus the springs. Plus working my balance even more with this model. I tried Kat's new rebounding workout as a test run. It's around 20 minutes and more of a beginner level. Hope that helps
Old 03-07-21, 04:51 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
Yes, ananas means pineapple in French except we write it with 1 "n" instead of 2. I wonder if she knows it means that or she was making a variation of "bananas" using her name.
I think she had pineapples on the floor in her earlier workouts. Or something with a pineapple if I remember correctly
Old 03-07-21, 04:53 PM  
ChelePA

My husband's nose is very bruised. The bleeding has almost stopped. A little oozing this morning when I changed the bandage. He is feeling much better so let's hope things heal ok. He has no interest in going to the ER. I think he may have a nice scar when all is said and done. My daughter thought he was joking when she first saw him yesterday. Both of their faces bandaged. It's quite a picture!
Old 03-07-21, 04:57 PM  
fanofladyvols

Is the pineapple a euphemism for a body part..or what?

I mean I have heard of peach for the booty...

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in