Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-18, 07:02 AM  
Diana3271

I am also interested in the Avocado mattress for a future purchase. I am interested in any feedback.

Something I have read about is that it is best that they have ventilation (meaning, not to put it on a solid, flat surface, especially in high humidity areas). We are in the South, so it's high humidity here.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 07:18 PM  
carly

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
....Something I have read about is that it is best that they have ventilation (meaning, not to put it on a solid, flat surface, especially in high humidity areas). We are in the South, so it's high humidity here.
Good to know! I was considering placing plywood sheets over the wood slates in lieu of the box springs. I will need to do more research into the support requirements for the Avocado.

BTW...It is also unhealthy to make your bed especially in humid climates. You should let your linens air out first so you don't trap moisture that dust mites thrive on. (This has become my grown up excuse for not making up my bed!)
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 08:38 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Good to know! I was considering placing plywood sheets over the wood slates in lieu of the box springs. I will need to do more research into the support requirements for the Avocado.

BTW...It is also unhealthy to make your bed especially in humid climates. You should let your linens air out first so you don't trap moisture that dust mites thrive on. (This has become my grown up excuse for not making up my bed!)
LOL I am trying to find the info about ventilation but I can't find what I read before. But there in some info in the warranty area: https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/warranty/

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 10-26-18, 10:12 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Thank you all for the info about the warranty, support, and foundation. I had not even read that section (i.e. "Your Responsibility"). My Avocado mattress has been shipped. I arranged for the in-home delivery and set-up; so that should happen in the next week or so. Today I ran out to Home Depot to get appropriately sized pieces of wood to use as bed slats. I did a lot of research and am going with prime grade, 2x4s. I was a little confused on the Avocado website. On one hand, they seemed to not recommend sheets of plywood, but on the other hand, they have photos of the mattress setting on the floor. Would that not be the same? Oh well ... I was planning on keeping my bed frame anyhow, so the wood slats are best for me. As far as ordering experience, so far so good. I haven't spoken with a live person; any questions I had were well explained on the website (i.e. the entire home delivery and setup process.)
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 10:37 AM  
Diana3271

When I was out looking at new beds, frames, etc. I saw something I liked in one bed. The bed was made with slats with about in inch between them. The slats were screwed/bolted on. I really liked the look of this and it looked really sturdy. I hate slats that can move around. So it covered the basis for ventilation since there was a space between the slats so air can circulate.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 10-27-18, 06:48 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
When I was out looking at new beds, frames, etc. I saw something I liked in one bed. The bed was made with slats with about in inch between them. The slats were screwed/bolted on. I really liked the look of this and it looked really sturdy. I hate slats that can move around. So it covered the basis for ventilation since there was a space between the slats so air can circulate.
I'm hoping mine don't move around!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
Old 10-27-18, 08:32 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'm hoping mine don't move around!
I spoke with a SA from a furniture store about this, different store, different bed. They said they could screw the slats down if that's what I wanted. I'm keeping all of this in mind for the future.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 10-27-18, 08:32 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Wow Thanks Diana for that link. I'm heading over to Kohl's tomorrow to get one of these.

I've had a Tempurpedic for 16 years, and put Latex toppers on it a couple of years ago since DH was having more back pain than normal. That seemed to work for a while, but now we're both having sleep issues on and off, so I've had an eye open to try something new. This looks promising.
Did you get a new topper?

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 11-01-18, 11:52 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

It's here! My Avocado mattress has been delivered and set up! I can't wait to go to bed and try it out tonight

Here's the low-down on the delivery - Luckily the comments upthread made me read all of the Avocado website ... Apparently the mattress has to be out of the shipping box within 2 weeks or the warranty is voided. My mattress was shipped on Friday, Oct 19 so it had to be set up Nov 1 (or Nov 2?) . It took a week for it to get from California to Maryland. The delivery company does not work on weekends. So they called me on Monday, Oct 29 and wanted to deliver it the next day. Of course that was one day when I was the only staff onsite at my job and I couldn't take off. But the delivery company can't come out just any day per my convenience, Thursday, Nov 1 was the only other day they would be in my area. So since the warranty would be voided by end of day, I had to take off work.

The set-up process is really fast! I was prepared ... I had my hand-held vacuum cleaner all ready to go so I could vacuum under the bed once they removed the mattress and box spring, and rags so I could wipe the bottom frame. Even so, it was a super-rush, as it took them no time at all to get my old stuff out of the house.

Then I needed to put down the slats. I had them sitting in the hallway. They handed them to me but I was the one that put them in place. I started fiddling with them to carefully space them apart, but the guys were in a hurry ...

When they carried / slid / moved the mattress onto the bed frame, the slats did move around and they lifted up the mattress so I could re-adjust the slats. Then, when they removed the plastic outer wrap and pulled that out from under the mattress, the slats moved again. My mattress is queen-sized, and it's only 97 lbs, so it's easy for me to move it around and get the slats in place if I need to adjust again. (So happy that I'm strong enough to move around 97 lbs. !!)

It's a big change for me - my old box spring was very high and my old mattress was high too, so my bed level was much higher. This is more like a futon level (well, not quite that low). Not bad - just different.

There's a slight smell, but it's pleasant. Today is a gorgeous and I have all the windows open
so that should help disperse it.

So far, I am entirely thrilled with the process. I'm so glad the topic came up on VF !! I did not know about the newest, "mattress in a box" options. I was dreading going to mattress stores and having to deal with aggressive salespeople. This was super-simple and the Avocado website is well-thoughtout and had the answers to any question I thought of.

I'll report back once I actually sleep on the mattress!
-Anita

Current Rotations:
Old 11-01-18, 01:17 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I'll report back once I actually sleep on the mattress!
-Anita
Awesome! I can't wait to hear about it.

What type of mattress are you moving from?

What firmness did you get with the Avocado? Did you get an attached topper or separate topper?

LM Combat 02/13

Diana

Tags
mattress, mattresses, sleep