Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-18, 08:37 AM  
DBW

That's probably it Diana. I cant find the June edition.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-18, 07:54 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I have the June magazine that did the faceoff betwee Avocodo and Charles P Rogers. It says: All-Access and Digital members can see full mattress ratings at CR.org/bed0618.
I am not sure the March issue had the Avocodo. I went off the review from 0618. Just wanted to mention the March magazine as well so could get more ratings.
Old 10-11-18, 07:21 AM  
Diana3271

Update: Recently, I have been sleeping in the extra bedroom (this year). If there are noises, DH coming to bed after me, his snoring, etc they wake me and I can't go back to sleep. I have been having a lot of issues with this due to peri/menopause. So sleeping in the other room has been a solution to that problem. The problem I have been having in the other room is the mattress/topper. I went to Kohls a few weeks ago, armed with a lot of coupons/points, etc. They were having a big sale, too. I had done some research about toppers, heat, coolness, and looked at reviews. I got with the manager of the Kohls. I wanted to make sure that I could return what I bought if I didn't like it. He assured me that it would not be a problem to return a topper. I bought this one: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-34...er.jsp?prdPV=2 The first night I knew it was going to work for me. Also, there was absolutely no odor. It was on sale at the time and I had an additional 40% off. It would be worth it to pay full price. It is so much cooler and it's better on my back that what I previously used. I am not waking as hot as I was even though I am dealing with hot flashes, etc. So at this point the new topper has made a huge difference in my sleeping and I am happy with my purchase.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 03:00 PM  
warriorprincess

Wow Thanks Diana for that link. I'm heading over to Kohl's tomorrow to get one of these.

I've had a Tempurpedic for 16 years, and put Latex toppers on it a couple of years ago since DH was having more back pain than normal. That seemed to work for a while, but now we're both having sleep issues on and off, so I've had an eye open to try something new. This looks promising.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 07:12 PM  
Diana3271

warriorprincess It's more comfortable for my back but I think the biggie is how cool it is compared to the other one I had. Previously I could get out of bed, do my first thing in the morning stuff, come back to make the bed and it felt like there was a heater on. It was so hot! In general, I am sleeping better. That's what's important to me. Kohls also has really good sales and coupons so don't forget to take advantage of that. I also forgot to mention that I went back the next day because I had a even better coupon. They honored the new coupon without me even having to bring anything back. It was really good customer service.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-18, 05:20 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathym View Post
I got the avocodo green mattress. I like a firmer mattress so this was perfect for me. If the mattress is too soft I have back discomfort. https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com
I didn't get the one with the topper of latex as I know I like a firmer mattress. I am really liking this one. It was highly rated in consumer reports. It does take a while to get as they are not mass produced. Per the site:
Avocado Green Mattresses are handmade to order in sunny California. We do not inventory our mattresses because we firmly believe "fresh is better!" Our "handmade-to-order" manufacturing queue and production process requires 1-2 weeks to complete before your order will ship.
The mattress arrives wrapped to remove air from packing material. Very nice.
Good luck with your mattress search
Thank you for posting this. I've been researching mattresses and decided to go with this one! It's on sale through today, too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-18, 06:52 AM  
horsemom2

It seems the current trend favors pairing any decent mattress with a good topper instead of the older and more expensive pairing of a matching box spring and mattress.

Flipping and rotating heavy mattresses was never fun.

Instead of buying a new box spring and mattress, I put a topper on my over 20 year mattress/box spring which was a cheap purchase back then and am very pleased with the results.
It kept me comfortable no matter the temperature of the room.
I am very comfortable, before, during, and after sleeping
and have less aches and pains upon waking.

For political reasons, I am not sharing the topper brand.
The Kohl topper seems very similar and a good choice.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-18, 12:23 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Thank you for posting this. I've been researching mattresses and decided to go with this one! It's on sale through today, too.
FirmDancer please report back on the avocado mattress once you have tried it. This is on my radar and we need a replacement soon! Currently it is my #1 pick if I can resolve giving up my box spring on a antique bed.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 06:33 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
FirmDancer please report back on the avocado mattress once you have tried it. This is on my radar and we need a replacement soon! Currently it is my #1 pick if I can resolve giving up my box spring on a antique bed.
Will do! It may be awhile as it takes about 2 weeks for the mattress to be ready. I opted for the home delivery / set up option. Their contractor only does that on weekdays. The first weekday I can be home is in the 2nd week of November.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 10:33 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

We have a Sleep Number type bed and I wouldn't buy another one. We each thought we were much further apart in the firmness we like but it turns out we're very close, within 10 points, it's funny. But remote malfunctions and random deflations in the middle of the night are no fun. The deflations didn't happen often, but they're memorable!

What we have loved is a Gel Foam topper we got at Costco several years ago. It's 3 inches thick and is great. We don't have AC and I run hot all the time and it's not hot at all. It's probably similar to the topper Diana described.

When I travel I have a habit of looking at the labels of the mattresses I find comfortable. I like a medium firmness, and I've learned that Sealy brand is the one I most often find when I look at the labels. Perfect Sleeper is great!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, mattresses, sleep