Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-02, 03:40 PM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

OT: Cheaper alternative to Tempurpedic Mattress???

Hi Everyone:

I really would like to get a Tempurpedic mattress because my mattress makes my back ache. In fact, it's so bad, I can't even sleep on my bed anymore. I have been sleeping on the couch. I need a mattress that conforms to my body and doesn't cause pressure points. Anyway, I've heard good things about the Tempurpedic mattress but I just called them and the price is $1499 for the mattress PLUS $225 for the foundation! A little out of my budget.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative to this mattress? Has anyone bought the Tempurpedic and is it worth all that money? Are there any good knock offs of the Tempurpedic mattress out there that are just as good?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

SassyGirl
SassyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 04:22 PM  
Francesca

latex

I developed back pain and spasms back in 97 and moved from an "orthopedic" i.e. hard mattress to a latex one. . I have no idea what a Tempurwhatsit is but this mattress is PERFECT. It doesn't pressure anywhere and is super comfortable After buying it I investigated - clever huh! - and found out that the hard mattress thing is a myth and can cause more harm than good as it doesn't conform.

Anyway, I would do a search for latex mattresses. The one I found here cost me at that timemaybe $250, obviously you cannot compare prices here with in the states - I can tell you that it cost 3 times as much as ordinary mattresses, but came with a slatted wood base you need to use that you can lay on top of your bed base. It is amazing. I sleep so well on it. It is soft but firm and I can sleep on my side without the underneath shoulder feeling wierd and still keep my spine aligned.

Good luck, I really hope you find something that suits you soon.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 05:11 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

Here is a nice little latex and wool matress from Canada's shopping channel:

http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/pr...&itemId=282522

If you do a search for Natura matress pad you should find a lot of online US stores that sell them, too.

I'm hoping to get one of these soon myself.

Lianne
Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 06:21 PM  
Genevieve M

Hi,

Before you invest that kind of money, here's a suggestion - is there a way you could try a softer mattress for a few days - maybe by visiting a friend's house?

I work at a store called Linens n Things. We have people coming in all the time with the same problem you have. I always suggest that they try a softer mattress.

If you find sleeping on a softer mattress works, you can buy the mattress itself (sans the box spring). A lot less expensive that Tempurpedic. We sell their pillows at the store. They cost money, and only last for about a year. Hope that is not the case with the mattresses!!!
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 06:53 PM  
baba

i have a tempurpedic knock-off bed and I LOVE it. every morning my BF and I wake up and compliment the bed and we have had it for over six months now.

I am pretty sure I got my mattress at www.supremesleep.com. For a King size bed it was about $1200, which included the box spring, two queen size pillows (which are hugely long and the most comfortable things in the world) and a wool mattress pad. Also, shipping was free. (thus it was cheapter than most king size beds of any material that i found). I highly recommend the bed, the pillows, the whole megillah! I cannot say enough about the bed except I try to get in it at every possible moment. And once you sleep on a foam bed, sleeping on a coil bed is almost unbearable!

Also, this place had a 30 day money back guarantee. I hope this helps! Happy sleeping
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 07:19 PM  
Renee D
VF Supporter

Tempurpedic

Loretta and I have both been scoping out Tempurpedics at our local Brookstones. They are spendy, but they also have a 90 or 120 day return policy, so if you don't like it, you can send it back and get a full refund (except perhaps the delivery fee, I'm not sure.)

I looked up Tempurpedic on line the other day and found this section on epinions. It talks about another brand (abed), but a lot of the poeple who wrote in said they had Tempurpedics and loved them.

http://www.epinions.com/content_66573995652

Let your love fly like a bird on the wing
And let your love bind you to all living things
And let your love shine
And you'll know what I mean, that's the reason
~Bellamy Brothers

Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 07:33 PM  
Francesca

Latex rules!

It's kept its shape for 5 years. Doesn't need turning - though I do anyway - breathes - all natural - and is yummy.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 09:22 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Electric blankets?

I read that you can't use electric blankets with Tempurpedic mattresses. I guess they MELT or something!

Of course, I also read that those mattresses are hot, so maybe I wouldn't need my electric blanket???

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress