Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-09, 04:47 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Bending forward, doing dead lifts hurt my lower back. My PT said not to do those (+ ab work) for now until I "heal". He showed me the right posture to maintain throughout the day. Sitting for a prolonged period give me the most pain. My PT told me to do back bends or cobras to relieve the pressure inside my spine. I'll probably ask for a computer set up at work where I'll be on my feet instead of on my butt.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 05:01 PM  
donnamp

Mizach,

You sound like me - those things (deadlifts, bending forward) are killers for me, too and I have been told to focus more on arching type exercises. I looked at a tiny bit of the clip of the viniyoga (I will watch more when I get some time later) and off the bat I saw some things I wouldn't do just yet - a forward bend sequence for instance.....

Sitting is also killer for me - I try to get up and walk around as much as I reasonably can, even just standing up and sitting back down helps.

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 05:52 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp
Mizach,

You sound like me - those things (deadlifts, bending forward) are killers for me, too and I have been told to focus more on arching type exercises. I looked at a tiny bit of the clip of the viniyoga (I will watch more when I get some time later) and off the bat I saw some things I wouldn't do just yet - a forward bend sequence for instance.....

Sitting is also killer for me - I try to get up and walk around as much as I reasonably can, even just standing up and sitting back down helps.

Take care,

Donna
My PT showed me a cross section of a disc/spine and explained why bending forward hurts the lower back. When you bend forward, there's extreme pressure-build-up that pushes the gel-like substance to the back of the collagen "wall". My back wall is really thin. Doing cobra or back bends reverses the pressure to the front and the "wall" there is thicker.
He's really surprised that I've not complained years before considering the nature of my job. I was waiting for him to say CLX caused my back pain as I showed him the exercises in Burn Circuit. He told me to continue my full-blown workouts. Just back off from forward bends and ab workouts first.
Old 04-01-09, 08:45 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O
I took a look at the Viniyogi workouts at totalfitnessdvds.com. They did look very 'stretchy' versus a lot of regular yoga poses (which I hate). Also, there were some moves that I think closely resemble pilates. But - what do I know I might order them. And I do think it is a good idea to review the DVDs I'd want to do with a physical therapist if I end up going.
Joni, although Viniyoga does involve traditional hatha yoga postures, you are rarely simply holding these postures in a static way--rather, you are usually engaging in repeated flowing movements in and out of the poses. Maybe this is what may it seem like Pilates to you? Otherwise than the flowing movements, I don't think that Viniyoga and Pilates are very similar.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-09, 09:19 PM  
jacs

I find that when I am in a lot of pain, Healing Yoga for Aches and Pains is very reassuring and gives me some relief. However it is very moderate and probably not suitable for ongoing maintenance.

At least it means I can do something positive while I wait for the pain to subside.

Jacqui
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 05:47 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I did the 23-minute lower back practice from Viniyoga Therapy this morning. It's basically all the same stuff they told me to do last time I had my back looked at. I enjoyed it. Not at all yoga-like, not what I'm used to (and don't like) anyway
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:03 AM  
sundari

Hope it helps you Joni. Gary's is a keeper for me.
Old 04-07-09, 06:09 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
I did the 23-minute lower back practice from Viniyoga Therapy this morning. It's basically all the same stuff they told me to do last time I had my back looked at. I enjoyed it. Not at all yoga-like, not what I'm used to (and don't like) anyway
The Kraftsow is very therapeutic. His approach makes a lot of sense.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 06:11 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I bought 2 Viniyoga workouts + Scott Sonnon's Ageless Mobility. I'm sidelined for 6 weeks while waiting for some tears in my spine to repair. It's tough to modify workouts so I don't do side bends or forward bends.
Old 04-07-09, 07:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
That's great, Joni--hope it works for you!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back care yoga, back pain, peggy cappy, rodney yee, yoga, yoga for back pain