Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-03-21, 08:26 PM  
ChelePA

Quick update.

New knee measurement today in therapy. Range of motion went from 85 degrees to 105. Goal is 120 but most can bend to 140 without an injury. Ankle also showing increased mobility. Once I can put weight on it, she expects fast improvement in that area. Numbness continues in lower leg area but now feeling more pain. So maybe nerves are starting to heal. I guess that's the one positive of pain.

Love and prayers to all. Seems like many of us could use them right now.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 09:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi again, Watulan friends!

Today I did Amy Dixon Super Fit Bod. Despite the unfortunate name (I'm not much for titles with "bod", "buns" "bikini" or the like) it's a great workout. There are lots of options for modifications, and Amy is very encouraging. She made a comment at the beginning about "feeling comfortable in our skin" and no "bod" talk. I suspect the title was created by the marketing peeps.

Chele, thanks for the update and good progress for sure! You've been working so hard. I'm sorry you are having more pain, and I'm sure you're right that it means there is healing going on. Not exactly the "no pain, no gain" you are looking for, but hopefully the pain will decrease quickly.

Kim, that Cathe HiiT DVD is one of my most used. As you say, it's quick and challenging enough that you feel worked out in a relatively short amount of time.

FN1, glad you are still feeling a boost! I think I probably did something similar in my years as a tax professional when I had to cut way back during the season and picked up afterwards and I did feel new energy. I attributed it to going from a 70 hour work week to a 30 hour work week, which is probably part of it, but reading about your experience it may not have been all of it.

MamaW, I love waxed beans! I haven't had them in years---actually they served them to us in school lunches and they were one of the vegetables I liked (two paws down for the nasty carrots). DH works with someone who gives us eggplants and we like those too. He makes a mean vegetarian moussaka with them.

horusosiris, I so agree with you about the "spirit of the Olympics" being exhibited by the high jumpers. I've kind of soured on the games in recent years since it seems to only be about what country has the most medals as if that means that country is "the best." That's not the fault of the athletes, I realize, but I'm not a fan of that focus. I did watch the interview Lester Holt did with swimmer Caeleb Dressel and he impressed me with his humility and attitude.

manleym, thanks for the suggestions for instructors for the 20 in 20 rotation. I realize now that I have to write down what I've done and plan ahead a bit more so I think I've got my instructors for the next few days anyway. I was going to try Sydney Cummings for weight training but I think that I would find lengthy pauses annoying. I do want to include her in my 20 instructors, though. I can't recall whether she describes her workouts as "beginner, intermediate, advanced" as that might mean different amounts of pauses for form pointers.

BabyW, hope you get some better sleep soon! How much sleep I get sure affects my day's activities. DH has been having some sleep issues lately too which he hasn't had since he got a CPAP. As an aside, didn't you say your DH snored a lot? Has he been evaluated for sleep apnea? I only mention that since one reason my DH was evaluated was his snoring was so loud I slept in the guest bedroom. He no longer snores since he got the machine, and he got used to it the very first night (which was one reason he didn't want to get one---he insisted very dramatically that he would NEVER EVER be able to sleep with it {insert the late, lamented Mr. Rolleyes}). Anyhoo, point being that if one reason you can't sleep well is his snoring, maybe a fix for the snoring might help?

{{hugs}} to Kate and Nathalie!

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-21, 10:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh, no, Nathalie! What a huge bummer! I'm sorry you had an accident and will be indisposed -- and right as you're starting vacation?! That's awful. You know we will be thinking about you.

Kate, I'm glad Justin is doing better now but gosh, how stressful it's been for you, too! You're always upbeat and keeping up with the fierce workouts! Go, you!

Chele, sounds like you're making good progress, but I'm sorry to hear the pain has increased -- even if it might be a sign of healing!! Chronic pain is so hard to live with.

There have been so many posts in what seems like just one day, but maybe it's been two days since I've gotten here.

kittybug, I wanted to say that though the Slim Series workouts may seem like a step down, they are steady state cardio and there's something to be said for that. But maybe there is something to not going hard all the time. I've certainly been taking it easier lately! Maybe I should try Kick Punch Crunch (isn't that the one you said you did?).

Have to make this kind of quick. Let's see.... I have been doing a fair bit of yoga -- in the evenings and in yesterday morning I did a longer what was meant to be harder practice -- rated a three but it really wasn't very hard. I was a bit disappointed. Some outdoor walking, and today I did a new one to me.... Gilad's Power and Grace. Described as isometric and plyometric lower body. It was a lot of isometric, not much plyo. Whatever, it was fine.

Kim, my son wants to see Jungle Cruise but I doubt we'll get to it before he is off to college. We are narrowing in on that date so that is my big focus right now. Drinking in all the son activities I can.

Big hugs to everyone!
Old 08-03-21, 11:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

bee and kim I want to see jungle cruise, too.

bee I also am soaking up time with my daughter before she leaves. Unfortunately, I'll go on my hike then have to turn right around and move her. She was actually planning on going a day earlier, but when she realized I wouldn't be able to go with her then she delayed it a day so I could go

cataddict waxed beans must not be as high brow as I thought if they served them in schools.

ChelePA did they give you some tools for pain management? I'm going to ring the silver bell tomorrow for you a 105 times!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 03:12 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
bee and kim I want to see jungle cruise, too.

bee I also am soaking up time with my daughter before she leaves. Unfortunately, I'll go on my hike then have to turn right around and move her. She was actually planning on going a day earlier, but when she realized I wouldn't be able to go with her then she delayed it a day so I could go

cataddict waxed beans must not be as high brow as I thought if they served them in schools.

ChelePA did they give you some tools for pain management? I'm going to ring the silver bell tomorrow for you a 105 times!!
Thanks….I’ll be listening from afar. So I have slowly weaned myself off the Oxy. Only one at bedtime. Unfortunately it messes my stomach up pretty badly. I won’t go into all the crazy details. But sometimes my stomach issues were worse than the pain. It’s been a difficult balance these last few months. Because it’s the one medication that really helps take away the leg pain. I may eventually have to go on more medication if the pain does become chronic and not just part of the healing process. We will see in the future. Trying to use other techniques at this point to reduce the intensity. Thanks all for your concern. As always it means so much.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 07:11 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Thanks….I’ll be listening from afar.
So it was badda Dinka dink 105 times this AM!!

...but my kitty wasn't happy haha. She's used to me and loud bells but she at first hid and then about 60 came out and stood glaring with her ears pointed backwards. I almost lost count out looking at her old lady cranky face

I'm going to whack my wind chimes for you 15 times until you get to 120

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 09:23 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
So it was badda Dinka dink 105 times this AM!!

...but my kitty wasn't happy haha. She's used to me and loud bells but she at first hid and then about 60 came out and stood glaring with her ears pointed backwards. I almost lost count out looking at her old lady cranky face

I'm going to whack my wind chimes for you 15 times until you get to 120
This made me laugh so hard!!! GO CHELE!!!! I'm crossing all paws in this house the pain means healing and it too will pass. Years ago, I had a horrible calf injury I did nothing about, thinking it would get better on its own. When it didn't, I finally sought out a PT who did some kind of deep ultrasound therapy on me. I nearly quit after the first two sessions because I went home crying in so much pain, I was debilitated all over again like when I first was injured. They then told me that was normal and they didn't really disclose how much it would hurt because nobody would do the PT if they knew.

I know your situation is WAY different but I'm still hoping the same principles apply and you'll be at a pain-free 120 before you know it!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 09:25 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Quick update.

New knee measurement today in therapy. Range of motion went from 85 degrees to 105. Goal is 120 but most can bend to 140 without an injury. Ankle also showing increased mobility. Once I can put weight on it, she expects fast improvement in that area. Numbness continues in lower leg area but now feeling more pain. So maybe nerves are starting to heal. I guess that's the one positive of pain.

Love and prayers to all. Seems like many of us could use them right now.
Glad to know you mobility is getting better. Sending hugs to you!!!
lavna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 09:33 AM  
lavna

Quick check-in:
My ankle was operated on Monday. They didn't have much choice as the bones were displaced. So, a plate and screws were needed. I think that the wound hurts more that the broken bones. I was lucky to be able to have a boot instead of a plaster so this evening, I'm going to have the bandage changed so I'll be able to see if everything is healing OK. In 2 weeks, the staples will be taken off and I'm seeing my doctor in about three weeks. After that, I'll be keeping the boot but I'll be able to put some weight on my ankle.
My other ankle is OK, just swollen. I'll get some kind of brace to protect it. I found a way to get around in the house: I'm using my work chair, which has wheels. It protects my other ankle and allows me to carry some things. Adversity makes us creative!!!
Waves to all!
Nathalie
Old 08-04-21, 09:34 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post

Hi you guys. Oh such drama lately. My son Justin had to be rushed to ER last Wed night. Severe stomach pain. He ended up in the hospital until late yesterday. More tests, more procedures and they had to already replace the stint in his liver. Somehow it had gotten infected. But he's home now and better. I am slightly more insane but we're all getting thru it! ;-)
Kate, I'm sorry about your son. I'm so glad he's doing better.

Tags
watulan check-in