Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-18, 10:21 PM  
Season

Mattress recommendations please!

I'm waking up achy and tired and have insomnia quite a bit. I think the culprit may be my mattress. Mattresses seem to be changing soo much and some look like they are at least two feet thick! Over the years I have gotten so much good advice from my VF friends that I told DH that I was going to ask the girls for advice. I'd love to hear what you might recommend. Thanks in advance!
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 11:17 PM  
Diana3271

Here's a couple links that might be helpful. I seem to recall another one but can't find it right now:

http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...light=mattress

http://videofitness.com/~vfwnk/forum...light=mattress

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 12:15 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I tagged the bottom of this thread to making searching a little easier.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-18, 07:46 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I recently purchased an Avocado mattress - based on the discussion in one of the threads posted above. I forgot to go back and report my results, so I'll do it here ...

I absolutely love my Avocado mattress. I truly believe it's life-changing. I sleep so much better, and so much deeper. I have dreams, and I never used to dream. All my aches & pains from my previous mattress are gone. The ordering process was super-simple; the delivery and set-up process was great. A piece of advice - be sure to read the Warranty info, as others recommended to me. I had to go buy pieces of wood at Home Depot to use as the bed slats (I was getting rid of both my mattress and box spring). Even that process at Home Depot was super-simple. I will never ever go to a mattress store.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-18, 10:41 AM  
dianestjohn

We bought a Tuft and Needle mattress from Amazon about 3 yrs ago and love it. Shipped to your door, if you don’t like it after however many days they will pick it up and donate it to charity and refund your money, a really good company. At first it was a tad too firm but after a month or so it softened up a little and is still the perfect combo of firm and comfy. Has not sagged at all, very supportive and comfy. Reasonably priced as well. Good luck in your quest!
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-18, 01:18 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
We bought a Tuft and Needle mattress from Amazon about 3 yrs ago and love it. Shipped to your door, if you don’t like it after however many days they will pick it up and donate it to charity and refund your money, a really good company. At first it was a tad too firm but after a month or so it softened up a little and is still the perfect combo of firm and comfy. Has not sagged at all, very supportive and comfy. Reasonably priced as well. Good luck in your quest!
I've had my Tuft and Needle for 18 months. It's almost my favorite mattress. Truth be told, however, I had futon in the 90s that was about ten inches thick and had no foam core, and it was absolutely the best mattress ever.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-18, 02:37 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I recently purchased an Avocado mattress - based on the discussion in one of the threads posted above. I forgot to go back and report my results, so I'll do it here ...

I absolutely love my Avocado mattress. I truly believe it's life-changing. I sleep so much better, and so much deeper. I have dreams, and I never used to dream. All my aches & pains from my previous mattress are gone. The ordering process was super-simple; the delivery and set-up process was great. A piece of advice - be sure to read the Warranty info, as others recommended to me. I had to go buy pieces of wood at Home Depot to use as the bed slats (I was getting rid of both my mattress and box spring). Even that process at Home Depot was super-simple. I will never ever go to a mattress store.
I just visited Avocado's website, based on this post. I, too, am looking for a new mattress. Do you sleep on your side? They say their mattress is best for stomach and back sleepers, with a firmness rating of 7 out of 10 (I have nothing to compare that to). I sleep on my side and need something firm-ish, but not hard. I can't imagine buying a mattress without trying it out, yet the idea of avoiding furniture stores is enticing. I also like that it's only 11" thick. So many of the ones I've seen are just too bulky.

Another question: Did you get the wool one or the cotton (vegan) one?
Old 12-22-18, 02:35 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I just visited Avocado's website, based on this post. I, too, am looking for a new mattress. Do you sleep on your side? They say their mattress is best for stomach and back sleepers, with a firmness rating of 7 out of 10 (I have nothing to compare that to). I sleep on my side and need something firm-ish, but not hard. I can't imagine buying a mattress without trying it out, yet the idea of avoiding furniture stores is enticing. I also like that it's only 11" thick. So many of the ones I've seen are just too bulky.

Another question: Did you get the wool one or the cotton (vegan) one?
I start out sleeping on my side. Some time during the night I end up sleeping on my stomach. I did have to get new pillows; my previous ones were too "fluffy" and got me out of alignment with the new mattress. I find that it's firm but not hard. But ... I love sleeping when I'm camping. So I'm use to sleeping on hard ground with only a 2" ThermaRest inflated pad.
I think I purchased the cotton one; not sure - I have to look into it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, mattresses