Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-14, 10:53 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
NCL, what great words! I need to cultivate that attitude as it fits my situation exactly!
I agree!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 02:11 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Haven't read the whole thread yet, and it's great that you do Hiit!, but.... maybe getting winded had something to do with the asthma?
It wasn't the shortness of breath I get with asthma - it was how it is when your heart is pounding and you start breathing hard from extra exertion. In a previous job I climbed stairs all the time and it didn't bother me but back then I was doing more intense cardio as well.

Anyway, I seem much more conditioned now than I was back then. Maybe in better condition than I ever was aerobically. I know walking is good for your heart but it didn't seem to keep me in good enough condition for more demanding effort.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 03:44 PM  
vanessakm

Quote:
I just got through reading the thread about the importance of muscle mass - I am always working on this - but lately I keep pushing myself and then end up with a strain or sore knee etc.

I'll back way off on size of weights (for upper) and amount of impact and try to work back up gradually but I keep ending up sore somewhere and not in a good way.

Can it be true that age catches up with us even if we've always exercised? I just turned 70
I'm just so thrilled and hopeful to read about so many women here still going at it hardcore in their 60's and 70's. I hit 45 this year and have OA in both knees (I think genetics are at least partially to blame for this) and my ability to exercise in 20+ years has been much on my mind of late.
vanessakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 04:08 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
I'm going to stick to Low Impact Hiit and other Cathe low impact workouts, or do her higher ones but modify like crazy.
SNIP
I am not giving up, just shifting my approach.
I have absolutely nothing to say to a 70 year old woman downscaling to low impact Cathe workouts other than

I am not worthy

and I wanna be you in 20 years.

Seriously. All others have said wise things about scaling back, and respecting the changes that come with the ageing process while staying active. And I agree, and am still impressed - your workouts AND your attitude.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-14, 08:32 PM  
Sara1000

Thanks all - but at 70 I don't feel any different than I did at 30 - just in better shape. More energy, more stamina. It's just that I seem to have vulnerabilities that I didn't have until now.
Old 03-23-14, 12:52 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Thanks all - but at 70 I don't feel any different than I did at 30 - just in better shape. More energy, more stamina. It's just that I seem to have vulnerabilities that I didn't have until now.
Love that What I do If I'm having vulnerabilities I take a week of and that seem to work for me
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 08:00 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee1forfitness View Post
Love that What I do If I'm having vulnerabilities I take a week of and that seem to work for me
I have pretty much done that - just a little walking and some core work - today I am going to do X-TrainFit upper body workout - less than 30 minutes - and I'm not going real heavy. I think where I have trouble is when I do something like Burn Sets where I do too many sets of different moves for the same muscle group.
Old 03-23-14, 12:09 PM  
Castella

I don't think it is necessarily age that catches up with you as the genetic cards you are dealt, and whatever else is going on in your life. I try to think in terms of doing the most I can with what I've got. I wish I could do all the things I used to be able to do, but I'd rather play it safe and stay active in a sustainable manner.

I was recently taken out by either food poisoning or norovirus. I've had stomach flu before, and this felt altogether different so I'm leaning toward food poisoning, especially since almost 2 weeks later I am still incredibly weak and fatigued. I feel like I've lost years strength of gains with a snap of the finger! Incredibly frustrating. It seems like my motivation also got wiped out, which might be for the best. I'm still trying to get walking and some kind of movement in, but I'm just shocked at how weak I am. These are good reminders to be kind to ourselves and listen to our bodies.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-14, 01:54 PM  
Sara1000

Castella I have been there several times and it is very hard to make a comeback and slow at first but I have found once I start making progress the rate of improvement speeds up. Just take it super slow at first.

That's why I'll always save some favorite beginners workouts.

Tags
aging, injuries, injury prevention, intense workouts, limitations, longevity