Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-08, 03:08 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

Unhappy Has anyone had a hip pain like this?

I have been having a problem with a pain in my left hip for a few weeks now, that just won't go away. The pain don't bother me much in the day time but at night after I lay down for a couple of hrs. I wake up & can hardly turn over for the pain in my hip, buttock area. I get up (It hurts a lot to get up also) and take an Aleeve, rub it with Icy Hot & go back to bed & try to get some sleep but it is hard to find a position to lay in that it doesn't hurt. I finally get up about 6am & to feed the dog & it is hard to bend over for the pain in the hip. But after I am up for an hour or so the pain goes away where it doesn't bother me. I was doing T-tapp workouts for about a year, then was doing some of the Fit Primes in the morning & doing 15 min. of a T-tapp workout at night once in a while when the pain started. But I have quit doing any workouts trying to get the pain to go away.
Has anyone else had anything like this before? What is it called? what did you do for it?
I was reading on the internet & Piriformis Syndrome sounds sort of like it, but I don't get a pain down the leg - yet, anyway.

Thanks for your help!
Rachel
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 03:36 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I've had bursitis in my hips - you might want to look that up. I went to physical therapy and it eventually went away. Hip stretches helped a lot.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 04:06 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I injured my hip a few months ago. I went through PT, but it is still sore. I'm going in next week for a MRA. My possible diagnosis is a tear of the cartilage in the hip socket (labral tear). It does hurt at night if I lay on the injured side.

Many things can cause hip pain that doesn't go away. If you could find a sports orthopedic doctor in your area you might be able to get more info.

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic site that might be useful:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sym...B=Hip%2520pain

Take care and update us when you can.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 06:20 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Hip pain can be tricky. It could be "referred" from your lumbar spine, for instance, as was the case for me several years ago. I'd encourage you to go have a workup from your doctor. You are your own best advocate, so insist on good care, and keep us posted!

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 06:41 PM  
Bebop

I agree that hip pain can be tricky. It can be caused by a number of things - injury, athritis, etc. My dad had a hip replaced last year and is a new man.

I would suggest going to your doctor first and definately trying to get to an ortho guy and/or sports doc.

In the mean time - don't do anything that aggrevates it but continue to do the activities that don't bother you.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 08:19 PM  
videofit

My aunt has had a similar problem for over a month now. She recently went in for an xray. She said she sat with her doctor, looking at his computer, reading about the possible diagnoses, eliminating them one by one. She is feeling better now on her own, by the way, so who knows. I'll be curious to hear what the xrays show.
Old 08-03-08, 09:28 PM  
Orlita

I have bursitis in my hips, and using a memory foam mattress cover helps a lot. It also helps to sleep with a pillow between my knees (little knee pillows, even ones made for this purpose aren't enough; if my knees are too close it causes knee strain). I get much more pain when I stay at hotels, etc., without my foam. But even with it, mornings -- and sometimes middle of the nights -- are hard. I hardly ever feel pain during the day or during hiking or other exercise. It's sleep that kills.

But there are a zillion diagnoses. Definitely check it out. I don't really know why I have bursitis. I'm very flexible and I guess this is payback.

My mattress pad, if anyone's interested, was from the Healthy Back Store. Pricey but it has served me very well.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 09:31 PM  
cmarsh4

I have piriformis syndrome and I also dont have any pain down my leg. I cannot sleep on my right side, it hurts when I sit and do too much high impact, also fast paced walking or running aggrevate it too. My pain is in my butt mostly. Mine actually turned into hip bursitis and it was painful for 6 months. Like Karen said lots of hip and glute stretches and foam rolling has helped me the most.

Your's could be a lot of things getting it checked out and taken care of early is the key.

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hip pain, mattress