Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 02-27-03, 03:42 PM  
roxie26

For women who lost more than 25 lbs.. What video gave you the best results?

I am just wondering what worked well for people that had over 25 pounds to lose. Sometimes its harder to do certain videos if you have extra weight or are out of shape. So I am wondering what video helped you the best to lose weight?
roxie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 03:46 PM  
Shanny

Lelsie Sansone!

I got her 3-Mile Super Fat Burning video, and it did alot for me. Low impact-big results!

Hope that helps!
Good Luck finding something you enjoy!
Shannon
Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 03:48 PM  
dixie

Kathy Smith

Kathy Smith's March to Fitness is a great tape to start out with, it can be challenging if you throw your heart in to it! I agree that not all tapes are suited for someone who has some weight to lose.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 03:53 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

consistency, baby, consistency.
that's the key IMHO.

besides that, intensity is important, whatever tape you do make sure to push yourself hard within your own comfort range.

the reason I say 'do what you like' is because the only way to keep a routine is by doing workouts you like. no matter how well-recommended something is, if there is no fun and motivation there for you, ya ain't gonna do it. Just my $.02 cents.

Oh, edited, to actually answer your question :
Kathy Smith, Kathy Smith, Kathy Smith. Just about any. For cardio, Peak Fat Burning and Timesaver Cardio Fat Burner. For weights, the 'secrets to a great body' series, and "Timesaver Lift Weights..."
I love Kathy Smith, and I thank goodness I found her tapes and was persistent in my early video workouts to keep going. I rarely pull out my Kathy's now, I favor others because my workouts are regularly more intense now than they used to be, but you can bet I've collected many of them on DVD because I consider them CLASSICS that I will always return to.

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 03:55 PM  
janeomi
VF Supporter

I do think it is best to start with videos that make you want to continue to work out. I have lost 30 lbs. and have an additional 15 to go and there is no question that with the weight loss my stamina and ability to move to more advanced videos has increased. I started with walking on my lunch hour at work and then using Pilates and short weight training videos at home in the evening. I started with only doing half of the Jennifer Kries Target Specifics and one of the 20 minute Kathy Smith Timesaver Lift Weights to Lose Weight workouts. As I built up a little tone and stamina and the weather changed here I added my old Tae Bo videos at least 2-3 times per week to get the cardio. I found that my weight loss really accelerated at that point (I am also going to WW).

Now that I have gotten some of the weight off I have upped my intensity and complexity with the Winsor Accelerated Body Sculpting (50 minutes), Jennifer Kries' Target Mix DVD and the advanced Tae Bo and one or two old Firm videos. I have checked out some Joyce and Cathe videos from the library (a great source before you buy IMHO) and try to mix it up that way. I still do a rotation of every other day cardio (with weights every other time) and Pilates. I am wearing sizes I should not wear at my current weight and it is due to working out!

I guess after this long post what I really mean to emphasize is that you want to set yourself up for success, not discouragement. So don't get a set of videos that are too difficult from the start so that you will not want to continue. It's tempting to get on the bandwagon when reading all these great raves about the higher intensity workouts but if you can't get through more than 5 minutes it won't work! The tips on this board are definitely a big help so keep checking back in.
janeomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 04:35 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hi,
I have been working out for 18 years and have been 30 lbs heavier than I am now. Working out with cardio cut that down to 15 lbs. When I started to add weights in, I yo-yo'd from my "good" weight by 10 lbs.
The last 3 yrs I have gotten even more serious about adding more strength workouts to my routine. I now have been at a steady good weight for the last 2 years or so. I won't give you any specific videos except to say pick ones that you enjoy.
I will say for me--strength training made all the difference in my ability to keep weight off so I would start with weight workouts in at least equal proportion to cardio right away if I was doing it all over again .
Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 04:42 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Video for women who lost more than 25 lbs.

I have to agree with Kathy Smith (anything by her) as well as add Victoria Johnson and Cher's step and toning workout with Keli Roberts. Those are the workouts that I did consistently when I was first starting (the ones I got that I liked that is; there were many others that were a waste of money).
Ctfitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 06:50 PM  
horsemom2

Thumbs up TaeBo for me

Not only does it burn a lot of calories while building muscle,
I loved doing it so I kept doing it to the point of enjoying daily exercise. Once my body was stronger, I ventured into other things but nothing else has come close to the results I got with TaeBo alone.

Barb S
who has been spending most of my intense cardio doing step lately but plans to switch back to TaeBo in a few weeks
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 10:11 PM  
Buttercup

I have to agree with Kathy Weller. The most important factor is consistency. I've lost 40+ lbs. but I really got into shape when I set a goal of 250 work outs in one year. This got me to consistently work out 4-5 times per week. I think also having a number of work outs goal also helped keep me going when the scale would not budge or I wasn't happy with my progress.

As far as videos that helped me: intially when I had little stamina Kathy Smith's Step Work Out, Kelli Roberts Ultimate Step and Gin Miller's Intense Moves (this work out is still a killer). As I improved I added Cathe Friedrich's Mega Step Blast and Step Max. I also started weight training with Cathe's Maximum Intensity Strength and the Firm's Tough Tape. I also went running and rollerblading (which I really love). I hope this helps, but really the key is to keep at it, no matter what videos you do.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 07:34 AM  
Jenne
VF Supporter

I lost my baby weight using Firm Vol 1, Tortoise, Hare, Strength, and Cardio and Step Reebok and Power Step Reebok. The first two I had were Firm Vol 1 and Step Reebok.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadway sweat, kathy smith tone up, mis, old thread alert, results, significant weight loss, successful weight loss, weight loss