Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-03-21, 07:49 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - Friends don't let friends do crazy things... alone. 10/3

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 08:07 AM  
sciencelady

Thanks, Laura, for giving a list of titles!

Today should be a rather relaxing day, but I hope to get some outdoor projects done, like mowing the yard, doing some more clipping of plants, and bringing in some yard decorations. Gus walk out there also, hopefully with Adelija.

Laura, welcome back! It's been a long time since I've totally been offline with the computer or iPod/iPhone! Glad you enjoyed your week off the internet. Are you a seashell collector or just what YOU find on YOUR beach? I was a collector as a kid and have a huge collection - then I found out how they collected perfect specimens by killing the animal and I stopped collecting. The only ones I want to keep are my cowries and a few big ones, but trying to figure out what to do with the others. Glad the weather was wonderful for you!

Paula, the TJ croissants are easy - just take out of a freezer and let them sit on the counter on the baking sheet overnight to get them to rise. Then bake them the next day and enjoy! I'm doing senior living research now for 5-6 years in the future - some places have a waiting line that long, but other places are being freshly built. I want to wait until Gus has passed before considering moving. I've not put down any deposits yet.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 10-03-21, 08:01 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 27 Cardio/Tone and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Anita, Today was our usual Sunday grocery day. So it was buy groceries and do some food/meal prep. Yeah, I remember you're looking for the next living space, slowly and systematically, which IMHO is smart. We talk about what's next but we never get further than that. My parents had an apartment in a "senior living with benefits" in a place called Cambridge Village in NC. For some reason my sister, brother, and I have always assumed we'd end up in the same place, I guess because we're familar with it. They have a nice gym and classes which is open (for a price) for those over 50 and my sister and brother-in-law joined. When I was out there the three of us went to use the pool.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-21, 08:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for getting us started, Anita. I was thinking, "Good theme!" I forgot I came up with it...

We washed four loads of laundry and changed the sheets on the bed today. That was as much work as I wanted to do today. We also went over to Mom and Dad's and hung out a while to catch up with them. They were in the same general area we were before we got there. They came home on the same day we went. And we spent lots of time with Polly, the neighborhood cat. She apparently missed us because she has been all over us since we got home. She especially missed DH, the love of her life.

Anita - I'm a casual collector when I'm on a beach with seashells. We have a jar we put them in when we get home and they are a reminder of good times when we look at them.

Paula - It's great you got to go to Catalina Island, one of your favorite places. Fun!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-21, 07:34 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus, taking my car in to the dealership for its 90K maintenance and grocery shopping. Spades game tonight if people are available.

Paula, sounds like the NC retirement place is good, but there's a lot out there - will you want to stay in California?

Laura, 4 loads? WOW! I'm glad Polly likes to greet you . I've changed my seashell collection from everything labelled and in storage to piling them together in a bowl and a glass column, totally unlabelled. The only thing I've kept identified is my cowries, which I've now glued behind glass with labels. I just can't toss them yet .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 10-04-21, 05:57 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It felt like today was the "get back to normal" day. This morning, I spent an hour on the phone trying to sort out the next step after my podiatry appointment. They screwed up my paperwork and sometimes this week I'll need to finish getting things done that the doctor ordered. Then, I went to the library to pick up books and then to Publix to pick up an order. After putting it away, we had lunch and I took DH to his PT appointment. While he was there, I went to the chiropractor and to Target.

Anita - I hope the 90K check doesn't end in a lot of expensive recommendations. Yeah, 4 loads and we still have one more to go. It will be ready to be done tomorrow.

Paula - When we got together when you were here, that place sounded ideal to visit with the pool being empty except for your group.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-04-21, 08:17 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Travis Eliot Yin Yoga.

Today was an errand day and not much to share, just altogether boring stuff.

Laura, doesn't it sometimes seem the work precedeing and after a short trip is out of proportion with the days spent away? I always think four days at home would never have generated this much laundry - why does four days away double it? No one has ever answered that question to my satisfaction. Yes, Cambridge villege gym is ideal. If you're interested I'll get the address for you. Sweet that Polly missed you both - cute.

Anita, yeah, I know there are lots of options for senior living out there. When my mother asked my sister and me to find a place for them, we went into search mode. It was an eye opener for sure. We found three places we thought they would like and could afford. (Costs for senior living with assistance vary widely). Anyway we took them on a tour and Cambridge Village is the one they chose. As for moving, I'd prefer to live west of the rockies forever because of my allergies. However, assuming I end up alone at some point -because let's face it, women tend to out live men - I will want to live where I have family support. So...it's likely I'll need to move to NC at some point.
Old 10-05-21, 07:19 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on giving Adelija a ride to school and then continuing to an eye doctor appointment for myself - new doctor. After that, coming home and walking Gus. Doing work in the garden is coming up also.

Laura, nothing bad was found in the 90K study, but it still cost $600 to finish. Lots of $ spent on cars this week. I'm just glad my wait was about 1.5 hours. Do you online order all your groceries now? Decades ago I tried that with a delivery service and felt like my choices would be better if I saw it in the store (bruised bananas, very small chickens, wilted veggies ).

Paula, I'm getting educated on places that transfer you to assisted living as you need it with age, but some places make you pay lots in anticipation of this transfer, but you lose that money if you change places to live. Some of the independent living places also allow you to bring in assistance as you need it as you age, but you get to stay in your good apartment. It's hard to predict what will happen to you over the future 30 years and how much help you may need. I'm not looking towards my brother for any help on moving and not wanting to live near him. Frankly, he may need elder care before me... Sounds like Cambridge Village may have a long waiting line, especially if you're looking at particular units.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 10-05-21, 12:45 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It has been a busy day here. This morning, I got some stuff done at home and then went to get some medical stuff done. I dropped by the podiatrist's office to pick up an order for x-rays on my hips and legs to determine their length, and then went to the radiology place to have them done. This afternoon, I'll take DH to his chiropractor appointment. I also need to get a load of laundry done, the last one.

Paula - I don't know why there is so much laundry when traveling; maybe because you're more active or out in the sun more. Of course, we also changed the sheets on the bed the day after getting back and we also needed to wash the covers. Another question is why does everything happen at the same time? DH and I have talked about whether I might someday want to move to Huntington, WV for family support, even if it's after he's gone. The other branch of my immediate family lives in Japan and I don't really know my cousins, so his family is the one I'm really closer to.

Anita - I order a lot of my groceries. Some places are better set up for it than others, and some places charge more fees than I want to pay. There are certain stores I will order produce from because their produce is good and their shoppers seem to pay attention (Publix and Wegmans). Others, I may order certain things like blueberries or potatoes because they are more consistent, but that's it. (Walmart) And others I don't order any produce from at all because their produce is pretty poor across the board. (Food Lion) I never do pickups at Harris Teeter because they charge for the privilege and their online ordering system doesn't include everything in the store. And Trader Joe's doesn't offer online ordering.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 10-05-21, 07:51 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 1 (I'm beginning round 12 of this series).

Didn't do much today. DH went to meet a frined for lunch so I went shopping, didn't find anything I couldn't live without.

Anita, in Cambridge Village my parents had a two bedroom apartment with a very small kitchen. There was a dining room downstairs that served meals and they had the option to eat there, which they usually did for dinner but not for breakfast or lunch. As needed we were able to order more help (at additional cost) they both needed help bathing and with medication oversight. My mother had hospice care there. With my SD, he eventually needed a higher level of care than they could provide - at least at a price we could afford - and we moved him into a VA nursing home for his final months - he was there less than a year. So I think I'd like something similar for myself - pay by the month with the ability to add services and the ability to leave if I need more. I don't want to feel stuck somewhere, I want to be able to move (or be moved if I'm too infirm to make that decision for myself). I know what I want, just don't know what will be available when I need it. Also, let's be frank, something like Cambridge Village is probably less expensive in NC than it would be in SoCal. Not sure I could afford it here.

Laura, I haven't tried ordering grocery items to pick up, I have friends that do and they always seem to be complaining about not getting exactly what they want or other problems. I'm going to do my own shopping as long as I can. Would you want to move to Huntington, WV? It's sort of like me, not sure NC is the best place for me given my allergies but it's probablly where I'll wind up to be near family. Check out Cambridge Village, I think it's in Holly Springs. Maybe we'll be there togehter.