Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-21, 08:56 AM  
alisoncooks

I work on balance regularly. Mostly because I have weak ankles, and there's a fair bit of overlap between ankle stability/strengthening work and balance work. I've always been "clumsy" so I've tried to be aware of myself in space as I age. Big tumbles take a whole lot longer to get better these days, so I'd rather avoid them.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 09:09 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I don't remember where I got this from but if you brush your teeth for two minutes then you stand on one foot for minute, then switch to second foot.

The challenge is standing on one foot for one minute with your eyes closed. It's not unusual for one leg to be easier than the other.
This is what I do when I brush my teeth in the morning. I should do it at night too but by then I'm just in a hurry to get to bed and don't think of it. It would be a good test to do when I'm tired.

I usually balance to put on socks and shoes but sometimes I'm lazy and lean against the doorframe. I never sit to put on pants, always stand.

I was super excited to find a wobble board at Goodwill and a couple nights I did balance stuff on it while watching TV. I will resume that this week.

I spend a lot of time on the floor with my dog and get up regularly without using my hands. I also crawl around playing with him, which is also good for the body.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-21, 09:33 AM  
Izzy

Yes, by doing Essentrics and Jackie's live classes. I do yoga as well and back to doing PT on my knee which is a lot of balance work.

After my knee replacement and with my left knee being so weak I realized how much I need to work on balance consistently.
Old 09-13-21, 10:51 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
It's something I definitely work into my routine. I think it is one of the critical pillars of health as we age. As a previous poster mentioned, Jessica Smith has a lot of workouts that incorporate balance. The BOSU has definitely improved my balance. Yoga is great for both flexibility and balance.

One thing I do for "everyday" balance incorporation moves - I do put my shoes and socks on without sitting down to work on it, and when I brush my teeth I balance on one leg for awhile, then the other, then attempt it again with my eyes closed.
I was thinking about yoga for balance. I need to add more yoga to my workouts.
Old 09-16-21, 01:32 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I don’t really think about taking time specifically, but I do a fair amount of unilateral work that involves balance.
Ditto. Plus I do Tai Chi which helps alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I use Essentrics for my balance workouts. Usually five days a week. I also aim not to sit down to put on pants and socks.
I practice this regularly. Also stepping over things. There is a low gate on my walking route that is meant to block car traffic. Instead of walking around it, I step over it. I also do a bunch of hiking on uneven ground which I suppose works your balance a bit.

Someone mentioned standing on one leg. I used to stand during staff meetings and would stand on one leg for a minute then switch. We haven't had an in person staff meeting since 2020 obviously but I should do it even during Teams meetings. I didn't even think of it. I would just have to turn my camera off!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 06:01 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Not enough! I've really noticed a decrease in my balance skills in the last 6 months or so. Silver&Fit on YouTube posts several new flexibility and balance workouts each week.

Carol
Carol, thanks for mentioning Silver & Fit. I checked it out and Madeleine Lewis is one of their instructors. I love her but wasn't aware she was still doing any videos.

Donna

ETA: Keli Roberts is also an instructor, and Stacey Lei (whose last name I can't remember, but I know she had some popular DVDs a few years back). There might be other instructors that are familiar but I haven't had a chance to explore the channel yet.
Old 09-18-21, 07:34 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Carol, thanks for mentioning Silver & Fit. I checked it out and Madeleine Lewis is one of their instructors. I love her but wasn't aware she was still doing any videos.

Donna

ETA: Keli Roberts is also an instructor, and Stacey Lei (whose last name I can't remember, but I know she had some popular DVDs a few years back). There might be other instructors that are familiar but I haven't had a chance to explore the channel yet.
Excited to try the balance and flexibility with Stacey. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-18-21, 08:22 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Excited to try the balance and flexibility with Stacey. Thanks for the info!
I did a class by Stacey the other day and it was lovely. I have this one scheduled for today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTG...r%26FitProgram

I'm embarrassed to say that Silver&Fit workouts are really hitting the spot for me these days.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 08:26 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post

Donna

I've done a couple of Madeleine's cardio workouts and have really enjoyed them.

Silver&Fit really has a wealth of new workouts every day. I add 2 or 3 of them to my playlist each day. I have rarely found one to be something I wouldn't want to do again.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-21, 08:15 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I've done a couple of Madeleine's cardio workouts and have really enjoyed them.

Silver&Fit really has a wealth of new workouts every day. I add 2 or 3 of them to my playlist each day. I have rarely found one to be something I wouldn't want to do again.

Carol
I did an intermediate cardio workout with Madeleine today and it was perfect for my current fitness level. I was challenged, but not overwhelmed. I was able to keep going for the 30-minute workout without stopping.

I am going to try more workouts from this channel. They seem really right for me at this point since I am still having ankle issues. Balance is also something I am struggling with, so I need to be working on that as well.

Donna

Tags
balance, balance work, silver and fit