Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-18, 01:14 PM  
Vantreesta

Somewhat OT: tiring out high energy dogs

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can tire out my 16 month old rescue dog without wearing myself out? We walk 3x a day for a total of 3-4 1/2 miles. Even when I play tug with him and do a training session and throw toys on top of the walks I can't burn off his energy. His last walk is just him as he has leash reactivity so I walk my two dogs separately when there are more dogs out (which means I'm actually doing 4 walks a day). I take him running sometimes but until his reactivity to other dogs is fixed we are limited in where we can run. The only times he has seemed to tire out enough are days I am doing stuff around the house and he follows me everywhere or the day we ran almost 3 mi. Except for the running, nothing else we are doing is improving my fitness and I spend so much time trying to wear him out to happy calm level that I don't have the energy or time to workout if I'm not running. We have had him for 6 months and he seems like he's gaining more energy! I am at work 8 1/2 hours a day so I know he gets bored, but I can't leave him toys like Kongs bc he destroys everything. He does have Nylabones and bones to chew on while we're gone. We think he is German Shepherd mixed with another herding breed. We have never had a dog with this much energy. Thanks in advance for suggestions!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 01:39 PM  
laurajhawk

Maybe you need one of these! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BljEvcBGQw

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 01:44 PM  
Vantreesta

How fantastic is that!! I do wish our yard was fenced so he could run to his heart's content out there. He's a sweet boy, he just has nowhere to send his energy so he barks!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-25-18, 01:56 PM  
videofit

Doggy day care where he could play with other dogs?
Hire a dog walker for extra walks while you are at work?
Old 09-25-18, 02:43 PM  
Vantreesta

Those are good suggestions. Our kennel is 15 mi away or I would consider daycare a couple days a week. Unfortunately with his reactivity I don't really trust anyone else to walk him, unless they were a trainer or smthg. I am considering starting to take a lunch break (I never do now) to go home and walk him but hubby doesn't think it will help. Seems like the only way to know is to try! I am skeptical it will help too but I think I have to try.

Old 09-25-18, 02:49 PM  
leigh1673

I completely understand! We adopted a rescue puppy in May and were told she was a lab mix whose exercise needs would be "moderate." Well--according to the DNA test we did--she is actually a terrier/hound mix (2 very high energy breeds), and she was starting to drive US crazy, too. We took her for like 8-10 walks a day (some LONG) and nothing seemed to tire her out. Our previous dog who we lost in January was a super low energy dog, so we were shell-shocked--and unsure of how to handle her.

After talking to a few of our neighbors, we decided to try out the doggy daycare center down the road on a trial basis once she was fully vaccinated. Well she LOVED it. There are tons of dogs for her to play with--it tires her out physically and mentally. We've been doing it for about 3 months now, and it was one of the best decisions we ever made. She's mellowed out quite a bit since going. She only goes 2 or 3 days a week, but that seems enough to do the trick.

If you have one of those places nearby, maybe give it a try?
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 03:13 PM  
Vantreesta

Leigh, it is a whole different world, isn't it?? We lost our 13 1/2 year old in Dec and our female will be 12 in Nov so we are used to low energy! Even when they were young though their energy level matched mine. 8-10 walks a day?? How did you have time for anything else?? If our kennel was in town I would probably try the daycare part but they are 15 mi away. I'm glad you were able to find a fix for your girl!

Cyric is also on kind of probation at the kennel for group play after getting in a fight last time he was there. Sigh.

Old 09-25-18, 03:36 PM  
bfit

I don't know if this would work with your dog's personality and level of training, but my sister-in-law paid a small amount to a teenager in her neighborhood to go jogging with her dog once a day. The girl wanted to jog anyway, and the girl's mother was concerned about her jogging alone so it was a win-win-win. Also, my sister-in-law had certain indoor toys (soft things) that she would throw around in the family room (or basement or whatever you may have) for the dog to chase after. You can even sit to do that.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 03:59 PM  
Lannette

Do you have a treadmill? We have 4 Connemara Jack Russell Terriers who enjoy treadmill walking. If you want to walk or run on the TM you have to shut the gym doors because they’ll jump on with you.

Training them was a lot easier than we expected. We do regular walks butthe TM is a nice back up plan.

HERE THEY ARE IN ACTION.

Another activity that calms our dogs is chewing. They each have an AgriChew. The most hyper dog will chew it the longest and he ends up being so mellow when he’s finished.

A trainer told us that making a dog think will tire them out. We’ve found this to be true so we will play games with them to chill them out.

HERE are some games.

The 5 minute stay also calms our guys down. Before they get fed they are put into stay and they need to hold it for 5 Minutes. That was suggested by the same trainer.

Before we added this stuff I was half killing myself walking 8 miles a day. The brain work really makes a difference.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 05:24 PM  
Vantreesta

Oh my goodness, Lannette, how do you all not trip on the TM?? I do have one but I was worried his nails would wreck the belt. I found instructions to make a dog treadmill with a carpet remnant but hubby didn't seem to think much of the idea.

Is that AgriChew stronger than the black Kong? He gouged a big chunk out of that in no time. I got him a couple softer toys (one is Goughnuts) that he likes to play tug and fetch with but he doesn't chew on them. When I tried giving him the Kong he didn't care what was inside & just wanted to chew up the toy. I have tried the split antlers which he goes through in no time and the full antlers which barely interest him.

I will try adding more training sessions and the games. I did have time one night while hubby cooked supper to do a session and he did seem calmer while we ate. Most nights though hubby is working late so I have to walk them then make supper and there isn't time for fun or training before we eat. I know this is part of his problem, but I can't really adjust our schedule so trying to figure out how to work with it. They do get almost every meal from treat balls and they have to wait till I release them to eat. Maybe I'll try making that stay last longer.

I love my boy but I'm really starting to get depressed without my workouts, esp yoga.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the ideas and helping me see things I hadn't thought of or have underestimated!