Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-12, 07:25 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Ballet Physique

I received my Ballet Physique DVDs and I want to finish my TA rotation before I try them but I am so excited upon previewing that I wanted to share initial impressions and a breakdown. These look incredible!

So here is a preview of the Signature Workout... I hope others will chime in with their thoughts after doing the workout. I now have it scheduled for January 1st

Ballet Physique Signature (66 minutes)

This workout is led by Kristen, founder of Ballet Physique. She is joined by 3 participants – one shows more challenging alternatives and the other offer beginner modifications.

For this workout you need: Handweights, ball, mat, barre/chair

The production is excellent, crisp and bright. The music is kind of generic but with a good beat and loud enough.

The choreography looks awesome! It flows beautifully with lots of interesting variations. The class follows the typical Lotte Berk structure but Kristen brings her own take on the method with a strong ballet and pilates inspiration. I love that she works with neutral spine (no sustained tuck here) and there is no c-curl core work.

The participants’ form is lovely and inspiring. Kristen cues very well, providing a good balance of form pointers and motivation. I like her energetic yet calm demeanor and I think she will appeal to a lot of barre fans.

Warmup (1 min.)

• Alternate knee lifts with arm variations

Upper body (8:15 min.)

Standing with weights:
• Bicep curls with 2nd position pliés
• Small shoulder presses in static 2nd position pliés
• Chest fly and elbows pull into waist in static 2nd position pliés
• Shoulder extension and adduction + small triceps presses

On floor:
• Pushups
• Plank work with single leg abduction and knee pulling across toward the opposite elbow
• Triceps pushups
• Forearm plank with walking knees, then pressing back

Stretch

Thigh work (16:15 min.)

Standing in front of barre and holding barre with arms open:
• Hip flexion variations: Leg lift up and down; make a box shape; make small circles; pulses up; bend knee and press out.
• Hip flexor stretch

Standing behind barre:
• Relevés with arm circles; relevés with coupé. Calf stretch.
• Pliés in parallel second position relevé with ball between the knees: Small pulses down; Squeeze ball; Hip shake to one side.
• Plié in first position parallel, with ball in hands and upper body leaning forward; Glide one leg back and extend the arms up; Squat stepping out and in; Small pulses in chair pose.
• Nice long stretch

Seat work (19:35)

At the barre:
• Combo of hip extension, adduction, and small circles. This is done in an upright position, then leaning forward toward the barre.
• Leaning forward with working leg in attitude: Rotate in and out; Pulses up; Lower leg down and up. Extend leg: Down and up; small pulses up.
• Figure four stretch

On the floor:
• Bridge work with one leg up, then leg at 45 degrees bending and pressing out.
• Stretch

You do all the seat work on one side, then do this little 2-minute “thigh break” before repeating everything on the other side:
• Plié in 1st position parallel relevé: Pulses down; Tucks; Circle hips
• Plié in 1st position turnout
• Plié in 2nd position turnout with port de bras

Core (14:40)

• Pilates roll up with ball between knees
• Roll halfway down and hold, pressing on the ball
• Lie down with ball supporting the neck and legs in tabletop: Hold isometrically; Extend legs 45 degrees and bend; Alternate toe tap on floor; Heel beats with legs in turnout at 45 degrees, then add legs lifting up and moving back to 45 degrees, then finish with changement (alternate crossing one leg over the other).
• Crunch series: With knees bent and together; with one leg at 90 degrees; rocking both legs in; with both legs extended in a scissor position and arm movement.
• Hip lifts with legs extended toward ceiling; add bicycling movement; add crunch.
• Curl variations reclining on ball with knees bent.
• Back extension

Final stretch (6:00)
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 08:41 AM  
PhyllisG

They look great. I had planned on a P57 rotation after the New Year but now I am very tempted by Ballet Physique. I have not been doing much barre or TA lately and unfortunately I can see that in how my clothes fit. These are very tempting. Did you order thru amazon or the BP site?
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 08:44 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Fuzzie, thank you for the fabulous detailed breakdown of the workout. We appreciate you taking the time to write such details. Looking forward to your thoughts after you do the workout in January.
Old 12-16-12, 09:40 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oooh, when I saw your email I ran to the door to see if mine had arrived already! haha, not yet, but thanks for the breakdown. Can't wait to try them!!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 11:43 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

The ball that comes with the DVD Collection is also quite nice. It's similar to the Fluidity ball except it's a pretty pink color. A good buy at $35 plus shipping.
Old 12-16-12, 11:44 AM  
PhyllisG

Posted to another thread but wanted to say I ordered from amazon using some points I had. I really like the look of these and am excited to receive them. I think this will revive my interest in barre work. Thanks Fuzzie for the heads up and great review. You sold another copy!
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 12:49 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Thanks, Fuzzie, for the review.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 12:57 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review. My set should be arriving, hopefully, tomorrow. Now, I'm really looking forward to these.
Old 12-16-12, 01:12 PM  
momofcha

Thanks for the awesome review & breakdown. They sound great!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 01:14 PM  
Darisa

Did you guys get a shipping notice?
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet physique, barre