Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-09-11, 10:08 PM  
Vee

What is the point of low ends and pulses?

I started on classic resistance training thanks to Cathe and workout videos. I was so impressed with techniques like pulses and tempo variations within a set. They certainly made my muscles burn and produced DOMS like I had never experienced before.

Then I started doing weight training in a gym. I noticed that people who seemed like they knew what they were doing hardly ever used these techniques. Mostly, they exercised in "straight sets", at controlled tempo, working through the entire range of motion of an exercise on each rep. This was a different kind of intensity because they worked muscles from different angles using free weights and exercise machines.

Comparing both, I think I had better results from weight-training in what I will call true gym-room style. I grew stronger and leaned out faster.

Why do many resistance training videos rely so much on pulses and tempo variations? Is there any specific benefit apart from muscle endurance from working out this way?
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:13 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Excellent question! I'd love to know the answer as well. We encounter low ends via numerous video instructors and it would be interesting to know what their proven benefits - besides burning pain - really are.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:18 PM  
suegy3

Sorry, I'm not responding to your post but to your location...I never noticed it before but Matt Lauer was in Kuala Lampur today for "Where in the world is Matt Lauer". It looked beautiful!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:31 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I don't know the if there is a reason for it. I just assumed it was to make the moves a little more interesting because it seemed to be in workouts that had tons of the same moves.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:45 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I think they are used as a way of increasing intensity as an alternative to using heavier weights and safety equipment in a gym. I agree that straight-forward gym-style technique is more effective (I had the best legs ever when I was doing heavy squats with a squat safety rack at the university weight room when I was a grad student) but it's often not possible in a home environment.

I wonder sometimes if these 'pulses' and 'low ends' might actually put more stress on the knee joints?

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:57 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Sorry, I'm not responding to your post but to your location...I never noticed it before but Matt Lauer was in Kuala Lampur today for "Where in the world is Matt Lauer". It looked beautiful!
my first thought this morning when they revealed matt's location was of vee!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:57 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I wonder sometimes if these 'pulses' and 'low ends' might actually put more stress on the knee joints?
They sure feel like they do.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 12:25 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I agree with Kathryn. It's an intensifying technique when using heavier weights is not realistic. However, I have seen Youtube demos where big body building guys do pulsing reps, so they must feel there's some merit to the technique. Low ends certainly burn while you're doing them. One reason why I liked the lower body workout in 4 Day Split was because it wasn't chock full of low ends.
Old 11-10-11, 12:27 AM  
Elise7

I think it also just adds variety to the routine. Doing squats for 5 minutes can get kind of boring, so I think low ends are thrown in. JMHO
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 12:59 AM  
Vee

Kuala Lumpur is indeed a beautiful place. Lush tropical vegetation everywhere except in the heart of downtown which is a relatively pretty and well architected concrete jungle.

Many Hollywood movies have been shot in the Petronas twin tower at the city center, of which my favorite is the climax of "Entrapment"

The fruit and vegetables here are to die for. I discovered fruits and vegetables I had never heard of since moving here. One of the biggest reasons I will find leaving Malaysia difficult is that I will miss the fruit and veggies.

Malaysia is expatriate friendly to attract people to participate in the economic development of the country. With a population of just 28 Million, this country which is rich in natural resources and is an emerging technology and services hub needs more talent. So you get to interact with people of every hue and background imagineable.

KL has very nice gyms. Many great expatriate yoga teachers from India, Europe and Australia have made this city home.

Sue and Cali, Thank you for associating me with Matt Lauer.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote