Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-11, 06:08 PM  
Fidget Queen

Accutane - Not Totally OT - And Long

Some of you already know the battles I've had with acne/scarring(/emotional issues regarding the two). I refused Accutane for YEARS because I was terrified of the side effects and because I was certain that I could "fix" it.

For the last 5 years I have put everything I ever had into taking care of my acne: dermatologists, antibiotics, birth control, tremendous diet changes, cleanses, allergy testing, elimination diets, fasts, holistic doctors all over the country, supplements, treatments, lasers, peels, etc., etc. I just gathered all of the medical expenses for the last year, and in 2010 alone I spent $12,000!! on this. It was all my parents' money. And this doesn't even include supplements, which you can't deduct. If it did, it would be so much more. 2009 was even more. So, yes, Accutane was a last resort for me.

I stayed away from all negativity regarding Accutane, because I knew that I was taking risk and I didn't want to hear about it. After 4 months, it has helped my acne a lot. The side effects have included: hair loss, dryness, chapped lips, joint pain, very slow healing, and severe sinus problems resulting in minor headaches that scare the crap out of me. Fine. Mostly, I took it all in stride, knowing it was temporary.

Today I had too much time on my hands and decided to look up info regarding the joint problems. I have had trouble with my hip lately (a chronic problem made worse by over doing it) and just wanted reassurance that this problem would be (as my dermatologist says it absolutely is) temporary. BIG MISTAKE. HUGE MISTAKE. After reading the horror stories I cried and cried for hours, terrified about what I was doing.

On the positive note, since I started the Accutane, I've had good energy. Good focus, too, as I started tutoring again and have been doing well. My muscle recovery has been AMAZING without any supplementation. I did Karen's Great Weighted Workout on Sunday with NOOOOOOOOO DOMS. AT ALL. After not exercising for weeks. My hip problem has been very much helped by a miraculous chiropractor. No extra depression, anxiety no worse or no better than it has been for years. It's not like I'm dying or anything. I just scared myself into thinking that I will. Or that my symptoms won't go away. That my skin won't ever heal again. That my hair will continue to fall out. So many people complained that they developed severe joint problems at an early age that prevented them from exercising. And that many of the symptoms came on AFTER the treatment.

Going on acne forums is a very defeatist thing to do. As a former poster and current lurker in them, I've realized that most of the people on there are people for whom nothing has yet worked. The ones that are still there are looking for help not usually helping others. Those that are better have moved on and don't obsess about it, so the opinions tend to be VERY one-sided. I didn't want to go on there for feedback, as I know it would be useless.

Finally, my question to you is, have any of you had POSITIVE experiences with the stuff? I need reassurance, badly. After today, I've considered quitting even though I only have one month left. So many people out there have taken it, but I can't find anybody to talk to about it. My SO took it 25 years ago, and he has no problems. He's the only one I know, though, and disregards my fears. Please help!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:19 PM  
Hoodone

My husband took Accutane for stubborn rosacea. He suffered several side effects, the most noticable one was severe dryness, like his skin was falling off, poor thing. That and lack of energy, but you seem to have the opposite. The saddest thing is that his rosacea was not cured so he ended up taking it in vain. I'm sorry you have had to go through this and I wish I had a happy ending story for you, but I don't. DH would not have done it if he hadn't thought it would cure his rosacea. I thought they had pulled it off the market because of negative digestive side effects, but I guess that is not the case. I think you have to weigh the potential benefits against the negatives and discuss it with your doctor. Good luck!
Hoodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:28 PM  
muddjeansgal

Two of my closest friends took Accutane years ago and it was the only thing that helped their severe acne. That has been about 20 years and they have had no severe side effects. One friend you cannot even tell she had acne, the other has only had it mildy since then. She had very bad cystic acne that left some scarring but she looks great still.

And if it means anything, she took two rounds of it her acne was so severe, so it was a miracle cure for her.

Last edited by muddjeansgal; 03-17-11 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added more
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:54 PM  
Buzzer

Oh Fidget Queen, remind me to give you a hug

I don't have any personal experiences with Accutane, but I do have experiences with scaring the crap out of myself with the internet. I say, back away from the 'net, don't search, and if you have questions, talk to your Dr. I love that people on VF are so helpful though! I'm glad you turned here instead of just stopping taking it.
I did have a friend in the early '90's that took it with no severe side effects, and went on to give birth to twins a year or so after ending it (maybe longer? It's been a while so I don't remember the time frame for sure). Her face looked fabulous afterwards too. I think if you only have a month left, keep taking it.

I hope someone on VF has some experiences to help you. I heard there was a term for Mom's that google their kids' symptoms and run to the Dr. convinced their kids are dying, when it's just a cold. I don't remember the term though. Too much info isn't always a good thing!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:58 PM  
dfrank

I just finished a second cycle in January. My history: I started having acne at 11 and it never went away. I didn't have health insurance growing up, so it was never treated by a doctor and by the time I finally had health insurance as an adult, I was married and the birth defects scared me.

I divorced and finally went on Accutane about 3 years ago. I had the typical side effects: extreme dry skin, low energy, achy joints, rashes, cracked corners of the mouth, high triglycerides and cholesterol, fragile skin, long time for healing. My acne came back a few months after I went off, but I also wouldn't always have my doctor appointments exactly every 30 days and would have to take half my dosage to make it last. I started a new trial last May and this time was very faithful about getting into the doctor every 30 days and taking my full dosage. I just finished in January and I am not dried out anymore and haven't had any acne. Even after the first cycle ended, I noticed that I am not as oily anymore. The achiness, joint pains, and tiredness went away pretty quickly. I actually wanted to quit the last month because I was feeling so low, but I didn't want all that hard work to be in vain, so I pushed through and I'm glad I did. I'm 34 and I finally don't have a broken out face and back. I'm a kindergarten teacher and students would ask me about my red dots or my chicken pox and the Accutane took that away. If you have big concerns you should talk to your doctor, but Accutane can really be a great thing and I would seriously consider it for my children, although I really hope they won't inherit acne from me.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 07:06 PM  
TracyQ

Fidget Queen--My niece took Accutane at age 14 and now at 27 her skin is lovely and she hasn't had any side effects. My best friend's daughter is taking it now and besides being really dry she's doing great and her skin is finally clearing.

Please stop reading all the negative stuff. Research any drug on the internet and you'll read about horrible side effects. That doesn't mean it's going to happen to you.

You went on Accutane as a last resort and I think you made the right decision. If you have concerns discuss them with your doctor.

{HUGS}
Tracy
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 07:53 PM  
deltoro

I have read your past posts and they have all sounded very familar, I could have written them. I will make it short but to say Accutane saved my life is not an overstatement. I was scared and didn't do it for years and I can't believe I let the fear consume me, and suffered more years than needed. In life there are always trade offs, in this case it was worth it to me. I suffered no side effects, but I did so much research and took every precaution.
I never even had dry lips/skin during my treatment . I just stayed proactive and I started using a special shampoo to counteract any possible hairloss,etc. I would also keep a humidifier going, as it will help counter any dryness and will help with your sinuses.
Good luck, stay calm
deltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 08:12 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

My nephew had horrible acne a few years ago and he used Accutane. His skin is perfectly clear now. He is so handsome. I think it really helped his confidence too. Right now his sister is also taking Accutane. It is making a difference, but I am not sure how long she has left to take it. You are so close to the finish line. I hope that you can find the strength to continue.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 08:43 PM  
F1mom

Yes, I had very positive experiences with Accutane. I've had three courses; the last course in 1992 pretty much cured me of acne. I still use whatever my dermatologist compounds in order to keep the pores clear. I used Aquaphor to combat the dry lips but what are chapped lips to really bad acne?

The bonus of having had teenage acne is that I don't really show age like some of my classmates because I've been on topicals like Retin-A since I was a preteen. And since my doctor's file is so thick, we don't have to fight insurance to get things approved.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 08:58 PM  
videofit

I used it about twenty years ago and it cured my acne, which wasn't terrible to begin with. The only side effect I remember was my lips constantly peeling. No other problems. Not every medicine works for everybody.

Tags
accutane, acne