Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-10, 03:06 PM  
sherry7899

question for morning exercisers

I've always been a morning exerciser, and hardly ever had trouble getting up to exercise. Lately, I haven't been able to motivate myself. I'm thinking it's because it's pitch black outside. Does that affect anyone else?

I'm going to just have to force myself. If I don't exercise right when I wake up, I don't do it all.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 03:18 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Sherry,

I get up at 4:30 to workout before I work. It has been very difficult to motivate myself. I've found that I have to drink a cup of caffeinated tea in the mornings to get myself going. I've never had to do that in the past. I've tried to workout in the evening, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 03:19 PM  
mcn333

Yes!

Yes, it's definitely been affecting me this year, and I'd love to get others' advice on adjusting to the dark.
mcn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 03:23 PM  
sherry7899

Oddly, I'm not going back to sleep, but I just can't get myself to exercise.

I hope others have some ideas!

Thanks-
Sherry
Old 10-22-10, 03:24 PM  
enduranceron

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I too have been struggling to get going. For the past few months I've been trying to transition from afternoon to early
(5:30) AM exerciser. I find that a cup of coffee helps or getting up even earlier to give my body and mind time to get going.

I find myself less inclined to want to work hard and wanting shorter workouts. When I worked out in the afternoon, I would want to workout for 1-2 hours. Early AM, 45 minutes or less. I miss my long, hard workouts but struggle to give the same effort that early.

I don't like it dark out either....hope the time change will help.

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 03:28 PM  
Kellie

I get up at 5:00 to work out, but my workout is at 5:30 to 6:30. I have to give my body 30 minutes and a couple of strong cups of coffee to fully wake up. I used to be able to just jump right out of bed and get to it.
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 03:31 PM  
sherry7899

I'm not a tea or coffee drinker....I do like Diet Snapple, though. I hate to start using caffeine to wake me up, though.

I'm also reaching for shorter workouts, as in 30 minutes or less, which is not enough. I used to wake up at 5:15 and exercise for an hour or a little less. I can't seem to do that anymore.

Sherry
Old 10-22-10, 03:52 PM  
kat999

I do what many have already mentioned. I get up at 5, give myself a half hour to eat and drink a cup of coffee (and yes, I know eating right before is sometimes not recommended, but I listen to my body and it's much happier with a tiny bit of protein! ), and then I do my workout from 5:30 to 6:30 or 7, depending on the length of whatever I'd planned to do that day.

I can get the same oomph whether my coffee is decaf or regular, but I need the ritual of "waking up" for a while first. I also tend to channel surf while waking up, so I don't think of the alarm going off as meaning "you must work out RIGHT NOW, sleepyhead!" Instead, I think of it as time to wonder, "oo, I wonder what Law & Order episode is on right now!" And "yay, I can have some coffee and yogurt now!"
Old 10-22-10, 04:00 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Yes, I agree with everyone here. I wish I had a better answer, but that's what I do too - a cup of coffee and 30 minutes to wake up before I start. I set the coffee to automatically start brewing the evening before. I think maybe any hot beverage may work - but I do think there is also something about the bitterness of the coffee that helps perk up the senses. I also brush my teeth and sometimes even wash my face to help a bit.

I hope something works out for you!
A-Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-10, 04:09 PM  
sundari

Yes, it is more difficult. Coffee is essential. But I find that I feel a million times better after I work out. It also helps if you like the workout that you are supposed to do.

Also try shorter workouts to begin with til you get back in the groove.

Tags
morning exercise, morning workouts, workout time of day