Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-10, 06:37 PM  
neatski

Fluidity bar vs. live barre classes?

Hello enablers, there's a Fluidity bar set listed on my local Craigslist for $100 and I was thinking of making an offer for slightly less. How does it compare to the bars you use in a live barre class? Do you think it makes at-home bar workouts more effective? Or is it just more convenient than doing the chair? Also, how are the DVDs that come with it?

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 07:54 PM  
faith458

I LOVE my fluidity bar. It folds up and I can keep it out of the way. Since I work out in my family room, this is great. It made such a difference in my workouts. When I started doing barre workouts, I used a chair. I probably would have stopped using them if I hadn't bought the fluidity bar.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 08:49 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I can't comment on live barre classes because I've never taken one, however I did initially use a chair for my barre dvds. I hated it! I completely discarded these dvds, because these workouts felt like...nothing or less to me.

I got my Fluidity barre a year ago off CL for $60 with dvds. It made a huge difference in my perception of the barre workout. I LOVE working out with the barre. I have Fluidity dvds and "new" Bar Methods. Even though I do not use my barre all the time, I would not trade it for anything.....it's that good! My favorite dvd is the BM Accelerated Workout. It's awesome.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:17 PM  
hotncmom

I bought mine for around $100 as well. I think I offered $90 when I got there, cash in hand. I wouldn't make a lower offer until you're there in person with cash. The husband also loaded in the car for me.

It's a wonderful investment. I was using a chair before and could never quite "get" the workout. All of my chairs were too high and it wasn't possible for me to use the sofa back since it's up against a wall. I have the Fluidity barre in my bonus room and have turned half of the room into a workout studio. It has a TV and dvd player (of course), my fluidity barre, room for a yoga mat, and a corner with bands, weights, a ball, and a jumprope. I use the barre for pullups as well. And it comes in very handy for the flat back/round back work in Core Fusion and also for the Core Fusion ab work where you have to put your feet up against a wall, I use the board on my barre instead. It's extremely handy.

When you're doing bent over glute work, it's so much more stable than a chair. You can hold onto it and really engage those upper body muscles like they show you in Fluidity. I never really felt like I could trust a chair, you know?

Oh, and the DVD's...I never use them. I think they're boring but I can see if it was your first foray into barre workouts that they would be very helpful and the instruction is top notch.

If you can afford it, get it.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:25 PM  
azuniga

I love my Fluidity bar and I know that this is what got me started with my barre addiction! I wish I had found it for $100 at CL, I payed full price! It feels just the same as using a wall mounted barre it is that good. I also like that you can adjust it to your height. I'm short so my barre has to be really low.

I like the workouts and once in a while I will do a Fluidity workout. I don't reach for them often since there are other better barre workouts. I really don't like the music in them! I think that's one of the things that I don't like about them. The advanced workout is the one that is really worth keeping.
azuniga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 10:07 PM  
nancy156

[QUOTE=azuniga;1593651]I love my Fluidity bar and I know that this is what got me started with my barre addiction! I wish I had found it for $100 at CL, I payed full price! It feels just the same as using a wall mounted barre it is that good. I also like that you can adjust it to your height. I'm short so my barre has to be really low.

Just curious, what number do you use on your bar? I'm 5'0 and not quite sure where it feels comfortable yet. TIA

Nancy
nancy156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 12:12 AM  
neatski

Thanks everyone! I'm becoming addicted to barre classes, and considering they're pretty expensive, I think investing in a Fluidity bar might even save me money in the long run! I'll write to the CL person and see if it's still available...

Old 07-18-10, 07:22 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Like others who posted, I LOVE my Fluidity barre. I paid full price plus shipping to Canada, customs etc and it was worth every penny. Not only does it make a huge difference by providing more stability for pliés and seat work, it also allows you to perform some moves that are not possible with a chair - flat back and round back core work (pushing/pulling on the barre or using a yoga strap), pull-ups, etc.

There are still a couple of moves from a live class that I find difficult to replicate on the Fluidity barre, such as this one: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x-Nd7cjwQg...physique57.jpg or this one: http://www.fitceleb.com/files/Tilt%20Back%20Bar.jpg

We are renovating our country home and I am getting a dance studio with a full wall of mirrors and a wall-mounted barre (yay!) but the Fluidity barre is really the next best thing.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 11:42 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
We are renovating our country home and I am getting a dance studio with a full wall of mirrors and a wall-mounted barre (yay!) but the Fluidity barre is really the next best thing.
Wow! Are you getting that done specifically for barre?

Old 07-18-10, 11:58 AM  
cowfishpro

Fuzzie, that sounds awesome. How great.

Nancy, in a few exchanges with others with Fluidity Barres it seems that a person's height wasn't what actually determined the best height for the barre, but rather the length of the torso and legs.

I'm 5'6" and keep my barre at 9. However, some ladies shorter than me keep their barres at 11. I know I have short legs, but a long torso, so I'm sure that accounts for the unexpected results.