Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-03, 04:18 PM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

This is a fun thread. It's interesting to learn about everyone.

I am 37 and I live in Southern New Jersey - 10 minutes from Philadelphia where I work as an Administrator for a psychoanalytic training institute. I am married to the greatest guy in the world and have 3 "boys" (cats) named Nudgie, Sasquatch and Cheeto.

I used to go to the gym for years, but found I really dreaded it more than enjoyed it and I'd skip going a lot. My first video purchase was The Firm's Tough Tape (the first one) and I couldn't believe what a great workout it was.

I found VF about a year or so ago and visit almost daily. I really enjoy learning about fitness from other people's experiences. I also have a little side business selling exercise videos on Ebay under the name of luvgirllll. It's a little hobby and allows me to sock away some extra $$$ for travelling which is my favorite thing to do in the world!

I am a partial vegetarian (still eat fish, eggs and milk, but no meat), animal lover and I love to cook, entertain and generally approach life as an adventure and expedition.

My favorite type of workout is strength and I love some of the older Firms (the new ones feel bland to me), love FitPrime and like Cathe (when I am in the mood for a "hyper" type workout). I also love yoga and like pilates. I don't like cardio at all, other than dancing and rebounding.

Well, that's all about me for now!

SassyGirl
SassyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-03, 05:07 PM  
rubyspirit

Cool Hello everyone!

I am a former runner getting back into fitness after a 10 year hiatus. I love aerobics, and recently discovered yoga and kickboxing.

I look forward to participating here.
Old 03-08-03, 03:48 PM  
caragoub
VF Supporter

I'm here too

though not a lurker, I can be quite chatty

I am an American ex-pat, 37, living in Nantes, France (that's not Paris, it's two and a half hours south west, in Brittany). I teach business English at various language schools and on-site in companies. I used to be a psychotherapist but stopped when I moved to France (with a Frenchman, my husband since 1988) five years ago. Yes I speak French.

Fitness helps me deal with the ups and downs of life. Sounds very cliché, but that's the best way to put it. Here In France the gyms are not terrific, though I've joined a few times. I much prefer staying home with my videos. I have about 70 to 80...not sure. Alot of Firm, some Cathe, Joyce, the Method, Karen Voight, Kathy Smith, Kari Anderson...all levels, all kinds, to suit my moods and energy levels etc. etc....

someone on this forum referred to their videos as their personal fitness harem, and I feel the same way

BTW, I'm originally from Philadelphia by way of upstate NY, and went to school in NYC and Maryland.

I have 3 sons, ages 8.5, 3.5, and 7 months.

I love this place.

that's all for now...

Cara
caragoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 07:22 PM  
windyh
VF Supporter

I'm still here....

I've been a long-time poster to this forum but infrequent visitor since my baby was born in June. I am 39 and have two sons & a daughter. I work as a systems analyst and DH is a SAHD. I've lost the baby weight but I've been trying to get back into shape using the timesaver premixes from Cathe's Intensity DVD's.

Windy
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-03, 03:51 PM  
sweetmelissak

Hi~

I live in South Jersey with my DH and Skippy (our Labrador). I've been hanging around VF for about 1 1/2 years now and I am sooo glad this place exists! I used to go to a gym when I lived in North Jersey but when I moved down here I couldn't seem to find one that I liked. Then I changed jobs and now I work some crazy hours making it difficult to get to the gym. Sooo-videos were the way to go!

I had a few Crunch tapes and some Reebok ones, but until I came to VF I had no idea tapes like Christi's and CIA's existed! Now, I'm spoiled and can't go back to the gym even if I could find a good one!

I don't get here as much as I used to but I still love to pop in every few weeks and see whats going on. Everyone is so nice and there is so much great information. Go VF!!!!

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane

Currently: "Kitchen Sink" rotation started on 9/19/06
sweetmelissak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 09:59 AM  
fosterjo

Good Morning,
I am a big lurker here, I pop in and out to read all of the info provided. I will admit I have made a few purchases based on the masses.

I have not been exercising{seriously} long at all, last year when they started showing the infomercial about the firm, I dug out the 2 that I had{vol.2 and Firm Cardio} and started to workout again. I did a search and came across the messsage boards and got hooked on them{The Ya yas} that lead me here
I had 2 tapes at that time now I have over 50(oops) and I'm glad to have found other people who feel the way I do about workout videos/dvds.
Ive have been the most consistant ever this last year working out 4-5 times a week{when not injured:back or on vacation}I believe the boards have helped me a great deal with that, theres always a post on one of them to get through most rough spots.

I am married{to a cop/marine/fitness nut}, I have 3 children{18,14 and 4}I became a SAHM with my last child, before that, I practiced nursing.{We have animals and love them}
~kay
{wife1sarge@ya yas}
fosterjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 10:23 PM  
AmyB
VF Supporter

I've become a total lurker!!

I've been a videofitness junkie since Wendy first began! Unfortunately, I've largely fallen off the fitness wagon over the past year, and began avoiding the site out of guilt! Since 1/1/03, I've gotten back on the wagon with a vengeance (Thanks Franny B.!), and feel like I can sign onto the forum again with pride. Although I really don't post much (if at all), I've gotten back to reading the forum regularly. I'm so happy that Cathe has terrific workouts to inspire me again!

I'm a working mom with two children (female - 13 years old, male - 9 years old). I was a satellite engineer for 15 years, but switched to elementary (5th grade) teaching five years ago. I'm much poorer, but much happier!!! No offense to engineers - I just wasn't the right personality type! I think it was the increased workload of a new teacher that caused me to really slack off.....now that I'm "in the groove" after 5 years, I'm ready to recommit to regular workouts!

I love Cathe, Christi, and Franny B. I don't mean to make anyone jealous, but I've been lucky enough to attend EVERY Cathe trip held to date. (It helps that I live in the Philly area). I also got to attend the FIRST FIRM road trip! (I evan got to room with the now-famous-from-Cathe-tapes Brenda F.!) I'm ready to be inspired by Pilates and stability ball workouts. Can't wait for what lies ahead! Thanks for reading this far!
AmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-03, 10:06 AM  
Joanie
VF Supporter

Love this site

Hello!!

I have been coming to this site for about a year now and I love it here. I am 31 years old and have been married for 10 years. I have 2 kids a boy and a girl, 6 and 4. I used to work out at the gym all the time but found it hard to go after I had kids. So now I pop in a video whenever I can and workout in my basement. My kids often join me and I hope they pick up a love for fitness as well. There is nothing like working out with a Cathe and a 6 year old.

Joanie
Joanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-03, 09:52 AM  
Victoria

Nice to meet you all!

This was a great idea to introduce ourselves and get to know each other. I mean, we ask each other all kinds of semi-personal questions, share our victories, etc., and sometimes forget to say 'hi, how ya' do?' on the way . . .

Anyway, my name is Victoria. I'm 23 and live in Atlanta, GA with my husband of 10 months (May 18, 2003 will be one year) and our two cats, Biscuit (a cute Russian Blue - my engagement present) and James (so named because he looks like he's wearing a tux like James Bond). I'm a law student also working on my Masters in philosophy (in my 2nd of 4 total years to do both). I love reading (in my "spare" time), playing board games, hiking, and writing letters to friends and family.

On my 20th birthday, I looked in the mirror and did NOT like what I saw. To back up, I was born with a heart condition and spent the first part of my life skinny because my heart was always consuming so much energy. When I had my second open heart surgery and hit puberty (both at 13 - e'gads!), I started gaining weight. Because of the heart prob., my doctors had been wary of "physical exertion" so although I danced, I didn't play any sports and didn't work out.

I started running around age 20. Then I became a gym rat. Somewhere along the way I lost too much weight. Finding videos has been the key to achieving moderation, I guess because it's a finite amount of time (when the workout is done, it's done - it's easier to add "just one more" set of something in the gym), and because you have the instructor, it feels like someone is "watching" you.

My favorite videos are FIRMs, and I'm just starting to discover Cathe. I ADORE Pilates! I still do a little running, and I've taken up ballet classes again, just because I loved it and missed it so much from my childhood. I've become so interested in exercise that I'm considering pursuing ACE Personal Trainer certification so that I can learn about the way the muscles work and be able to help my family and friends.

It's been an incredible journey so far, and I hope it so continues!

P90X Graduate - 11/20/08-2/17/09

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

"Above all, don't fear difficult moments. The best comes from them." - Rita Levi-Montalcini
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 03:26 PM  
tlcoles
VF Supporter

Fellow lurker, of late

I'll bite, too. My name is Tammi, and I am a happily married but bisexual (lest folks assume otherwise) African American resident of our crazy nation's capital. I'm in my mid-30s and recovering from years of inactivity. Last year, I increased my activity by a gazillion percent, lost 37 pounds, ran a half marathon and, despite my fears, learned to swim WITH MY FACE IN THE WATER for the first time in my life. I don't look like my avatar anymore!

I posted a lot last year, and was thrilled to be among a community of "vidiots" who could relate to my new obsession. This year, I haven't posted as much at all. I was laid off from my job in November, but with an incredible severance package that carried me until the Friday before I started my new job in March.

I'm pretty busy here and don't anticipate doing more than lurking during regular office hours. (Love my new job BTW). I was inspired to come back for a visit today after talking (that's right, on that old device called a phone) with fellow VFer Trish and previewing the new (or not so new now) Cathe videos. :-)

See you all around!

Tammi

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread