Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-21, 09:34 AM  
Garrie A.

? Re: frequency of grip strength exercises

For those who incorporate grip strength exercises into their program (i.e. farmers walks/carries, heavy bar holds, wrist curls, etc.), how often do you include them and do you add them onto the beginning or end of a workout? Plus, if you do a special grip strength routine, what does yours look like? I'm trying to build my grip strength to hold onto heavier dumbbells without my forearms stinging (and having to resort to straps/hooks and/or a weighted vest) and to be able to do renegade rows with my hands on the dumbbells with no problem (currently I put one hand on a yoga block or a step which works fine but I eventually want to do them with both hands on the dumbbells).
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 01:34 PM  
Garrie A.

Anybody?
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 09-08-21, 02:28 PM  
BunnyHop

I don't do that kind of lifting these days, but thought I'd mention that the exercises I've been doing swinging both light and heavy clubs seems to have made a nice difference in my grip strength. Not sure you want more equipment, though.
Old 09-08-21, 02:32 PM  
Garrie A.

Clubs?? Tell me more....
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 09-08-21, 03:38 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
Clubs?? Tell me more....
Oh, sure, sorry to have been so vague.

I've been using a pair of one pound (plastic) indian clubs as a warmup every day since, what, May? I can definitely tell a difference in my general fitness level, basic shoulder comfort and strength. I basically do something like in this video every day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAo82Q7KTCk but over time I've gradually added a few moves. The basic idea is to strengthen your range of motion in every direction. A google or youtube search for indian club tutorial will bring up a lot of different sources.

"They say" that the lighter clubs are good for shoulder rehab, but I've found them to be a good way to rebuild my general strength. A variety of moves means it's a full body workout. Depends on how long you do it, of course, and for me, for now, it's just a warmup.

In contrast, so-called heavy clubs are more similar to a long handled mace, basically weighted clubs of varying sizes and weights. The style of swinging is somewhat different.

I knew I'd need to start very light, so for this year's birthday I got myself an Adex adjustable club. https://adexclub.com/product/adjustable-steel-club/ For me, for now, the 3.5 pound handle of the thing is plenty heavy enough for now, but the kit I bought will let me use up to 25 pounds if I ever get that strong. In general, I do prefer Mark Wildman's Youtube videos for heavy club instruction. He's got a ton of them, and gives very good details and pointers. He's the reason I actually got the adjustable club, the progression I'm following seems reasonable and do-able, and I'm hoping I'll be able to add some actual weights to my club one of these days.

I also use my KB for swings pretty regularly, and the larger handle on the Dragon Door KB I have seems to be good for my grip as well.

Sorry to ramble, but the whole subject is kind of a rabbit hole.

For quick reference, here's a recent discussion about maces and other similar stuff, you'll notice I babbled there a lot too. http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226481 It's got some tags that will lead you to way more detail.
Old 09-08-21, 04:03 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I agree with Anna about clubs working your grips. I did a Clubz Fitness Rotation a couple of months ago, and my grips and forearms were sore during the first week, mine are 2 lb each.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 04:29 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Just wanted to say hi to Garrie....... and now I want clubs.
Old 09-08-21, 04:39 PM  
rhbrand

I should work on my grip strength more cause right now when I get to heavy deadlifts, say anything over 180-200lbs I use my hooks. I'm not ever planning on competing so its ok. But really I should try to increase my grip strength.
Old 09-08-21, 05:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i do the Dr. Mike’s Nutty Rice Bucket Challenge method - heard about it from Dr. Oz/Dr. Roizen:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...ae8575d33.html

the link above has a couple more grip exercises - one using a wet towel.

better grip strength is associated with lower risk of death from heart disease.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 05:26 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I agree with Anna about clubs working your grips. I did a Clubz Fitness Rotation a couple of months ago, and my grips and forearms were sore during the first week, mine are 2 lb each.
This has been on my Amazon wish list forever!! Did you enjoy it?

Doing hangs from a pullup bar (active or dead) works on grip strength too. I'm struggling with those. I don't know if it's my grip strength that's the problem, my hands slip on the bar. I've tried both pairs of weightlifting gloves I have and don't like either pair for this. I may try my weighted yoga gloves (take out the weights). They should be sticky.

Sorry, I guess I didn't answer your question about frequency. I was doing desk jockey WODs and each one had bar work, whether hangs, pullups, chinups or hanging knee raises.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grip strength, indian clubs