Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-18, 06:39 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Oh my goodness, Lannette, how do you all not trip on the TM?? I do have one but I was worried his nails would wreck the belt. I found instructions to make a dog treadmill with a carpet remnant but hubby didn't seem to think much of the idea.

Is that AgriChew stronger than the black Kong? He gouged a big chunk out of that in no time. I got him a couple softer toys (one is Goughnuts) that he likes to play tug and fetch with but he doesn't chew on them. When I tried giving him the Kong he didn't care what was inside & just wanted to chew up the toy. I have tried the split antlers which he goes through in no time and the full antlers which barely interest him.

I will try adding more training sessions and the games. I did have time one night while hubby cooked supper to do a session and he did seem calmer while we ate. Most nights though hubby is working late so I have to walk them then make supper and there isn't time for fun or training before we eat. I know this is part of his problem, but I can't really adjust our schedule so trying to figure out how to work with it. They do get almost every meal from treat balls and they have to wait till I release them to eat. Maybe I'll try making that stay last longer.

I love my boy but I'm really starting to get depressed without my workouts, esp yoga.

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the ideas and helping me see things I hadn't thought of or have underestimated!
Their nails don’t hurt the belt at all. That video was one of the first nights that they all walked together. At this point they will jump on the treadmill without a human on with them. They amaze me because they move around, exchange places, jump off and back on. It’s comical to watch.

The AgriChew is really tough. There are small tooth marks but that’s it. It’s been a good investment for us. I can’t recommend the 5 minute stay enough. It really does calm ours down. They start out quite vigilant but after doing it regularly for a while now our dogs actually lie down and relax while waiting for the time to pass.

I can relate to you missing your WOs! I was the same way. After eight miles a day, each and every day I was too beat to do much else.

Hope your dog responds well. They give so much joy but they can also be a good bit of work!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 10:33 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I don't know if this would work with your dog's personality and level of training, but my sister-in-law paid a small amount to a teenager in her neighborhood to go jogging with her dog once a day. The girl wanted to jog anyway, and the girl's mother was concerned about her jogging alone so it was a win-win-win. Also, my sister-in-law had certain indoor toys (soft things) that she would throw around in the family room (or basement or whatever you may have) for the dog to chase after. You can even sit to do that.
I like the idea of having him run with someone else on days I don't run but I just worry too much about his reactivity. The girl across the street runs and adores dogs, but I would hate for her to get hurt if he went berserk.

Can dogs get better at fetch? He is not the best. Sometimes he won't run after it, other times he comes back without it. There are times he will actually fetch 3-4 times.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 09:10 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Leigh, it is a whole different world, isn't it?? We lost our 13 1/2 year old in Dec and our female will be 12 in Nov so we are used to low energy! Even when they were young though their energy level matched mine. 8-10 walks a day?? How did you have time for anything else?? If our kennel was in town I would probably try the daycare part but they are 15 mi away. I'm glad you were able to find a fix for your girl!

Cyric is also on kind of probation at the kennel for group play after getting in a fight last time he was there. Sigh.
It really is! OH I forgot to mention I work from home, which is how I was able to fit in so many walks a day. Also my partner walks her quite a bit too--before and after work-- so it was "divided" between the 2 of us. Fortunately we don't need to do that anymore!

Oh darn, sorry--I missed your comment about your kennel/daycare option being too far away.

Some trainers believe that a dog must be physically and mentally stimulated in order to really get "tired out" --- I'm part of a Facebook group called Canine Enrichment that has many great (and some very cost-effective) ideas on things that make the dog think harder and therefore get worn out mentally. If you are on Facebook, maybe give it a look--it's a public group so you don't even need to join the group to peruse it.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 09:12 AM  
desie

And I have the opposite problem! My old pooch can't take long walks with me any more. We do 15 minutes most days. My walking fitness has declined, and I have finally resigned myself to taking walks without him. Sad!
I hope you find a routine that works for your high-energy dog.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 09:52 AM  
Vantreesta

Leigh, I feel like if I could work from home we would have a lot less issue. I was allowed to last Mon and Tue while my car was getting fixed and he was a visibly happier boy (not to mention how much happier I was!!)! I am not on Facebook but I will keep looking online. Lannette's link has some good ideas too. I am trying to set up another private session with the trainer too to get her input.

Desie, I'm sorry. I know how hard the other end of the spectrum is too. Then you're not so much exhausted as just very sad. There are days when I walk them that hyper boy is wanting to walk fast and my sweet old girl is lagging way behind. Those are hard walks on multiple levels. I hope you have many more walks ahead with your boy, no matter how short or slow they may be. Hugs!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-26-18, 10:04 AM  
Lannette

Vantreesta,

After reading what you’ve written I wondered if taking your dog to a training class (group or private) might not help more than anything. Our dogs are far from perfect but our trainer helped us so much!

Quote:
Some trainers believe that a dog must be physically and mentally stimulated in order to really get "tired out" --- I'm part of a Facebook group called Canine Enrichment that has many great (and some very cost-effective) ideas on things that make the dog think harder and therefore get worn out mentally. If you are on Facebook, maybe give it a look--it's a public group so you don't even need to join the group to peruse it.
That sounds like a great group! Is it open to anyone? (With a dog of course!)

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 09-26-18, 10:07 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Vantreesta,

After reading what you’ve written I wondered if taking your dog to a training class (group or private) might not help more than anything. Our dogs are far from perfect but our trainer helped us so much!

That sounds like a great group! Is it open to anyone? (With a dog of course!)
Yes it's open to everybody. Like I mentioned, it's public so you don't even have to join to read the discussions if you don't want to.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 10:08 AM  
Vantreesta

Ooh, I was able to read the posts even though I'm not on Facebook!

Lanette, we went through nearly three months of basic and then advanced obedience group classes. He really enjoyed it and did well. The class was again 15 mi away and I needed a break from going every week so we didn't sign up for this 6 weeks of rally class. I plan to take him through that but life has been overwhelming in many ways lately and I just had to take a break.

I think it sounds like I need to be a lot more diligent than I've been on training, mentally stimulating and playing with him.

Old 09-26-18, 10:13 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh1673 View Post
Yes it's open to everybody. Like I mentioned, it's public so you don't even have to join to read the discussions if you don't want to.
Sorry, I missed that you said it was public.
Quote:
Ooh, I was able to read the posts even though I'm not on Facebook!

Lanette, we went through nearly three months of basic and then advanced obedience group classes. He really enjoyed it and did well. The class was again 15 mi away and I needed a break from going every week so we didn't sign up for this 6 weeks of rally class. I plan to take him through that but life has been overwhelming in many ways lately and I just had to take a break.

I think it sounds like I need to be a lot more diligent than I've been on training, mentally stimulating and playing with him.
It’s great that you took him to training! I bet he remembers and improves when you start working with him more. I’m sorry life has been overwhelming. I hope things settle down for you soon.

Old 09-26-18, 10:24 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Lannette. Most mornings before work I do a short training session with each dog but sometimes it has to be with them together and the days that I'm running behind like today we don't get one at all. I need to change my mindset, I think. I keep thinking I want to relax after work but I need to look at it more like put in the work now so I can relax later! He is extremely smart so hopefully if I can just make myself be all about Cyric for a couple months things will get better.