Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-13, 07:27 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

LynnO, have you read The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman? It was one of the books I was going to recommend to my book group but it was too long. I plan on reading it eventually.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-13, 10:02 PM  
Loriann

Currently reading on my Kindle - AWOL on the Appalachian Trail - I enjoy "walking" with others. This is a good account of the challenges, pain and joy of hiking over 2000 miles. Some introspection, but enough of the trail to keep it interesting.

From the Library - Tell My Sons : A Father's Letter to his Sons. U.S. Army, Lt. Col. Mark M. Weber leaves a wonderful message of courage to all of us as he writes letters to his sons during his fight against cancer. I saw this man on the news when they highlighted him and his family. He was and still is an inspiration through his words and attitude.

Lori
Loriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 08:24 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I am currently reading Scratchgravel Road and What's Yours Is Mine. I'm barely into either one, so I'll need to post my impressions later.

I finished The Secret of Us. It was pretty good, although it did get a bit repetitive toward the end. I was ready for them to take some action! But then they did and it ended well.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 10:40 AM  
mcn333

I love this thread

I'm a long-time lurker, but I had to pipe up for this thread. My Goodreads list just got a lot longer going through everyone's recommendations!

Currently on rotation:

1. Lying on the Couch - Irvin Yalom
2. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
3. Mindsight - Dan Siegel
mcn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 10:43 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome out of lurkdom. It's good of you to add to our lists as well! What did you think of Mindsight?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-25-13, 11:59 AM  
mcn333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Welcome out of lurkdom. It's good of you to add to our lists as well! What did you think of Mindsight?
Thanks, Laura

I've only read the first couple of chapters, but so far, so good. I like the explanation of concepts through real-life cases and stories, and his simplified hand model of the brain makes the science very accessible. I saw Dr. Dan Siegel speak at a symposium a couple years ago, and that inspired me to buy the book (though clearly, it didn't inspire me to read it all that quickly ).

Have you read Mindsight?
mcn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 12:13 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

No, but I was curious about it. I was reading about it somewhere and it sounded like it could be interesting - or like it could not be....

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-25-13, 12:23 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Have you ladies read Wonder by R.J. Palacio yet? We're discussing it at my book club tonight. It was a big hit. I printed out the "Choose Kindness" certificate and plan to share about the author's tumblr which has some great FAQs about the book, too. www.choosekind.tumblr
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 05:07 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
LynnO, have you read The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman? It was one of the books I was going to recommend to my book group but it was too long. I plan on reading it eventually.
No, I may eventually. I'm going to wait a while until I read something else by her, so it doesn't sound the same in my head as the last two.

I actually read about 10% of the Life of Pi last night. So far, I am enjoying the protaganists meanderings. I often do not like literary fiction books that are super popular such as Room, which I thought was ok, The Help, my issues could take up a term paper.

It is kind of funny, I live in ranching country and there is tons of large game wildlife, and believe me, those cows, until they get to a feedlot, have a much easier life than the deer, elk and antelope. So far, in Life of Pi the guy is talking about zoos and opposition to them and how they can be like houses for humans. (not that I agree with everything he says or that wild animals shouldn't be wild, but let's not romanticize it, their life is just not easy.)
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 02:14 PM  
Sissy B

I just finished Heirs and Graces by Rhys Bowen. It's the 7th book in the Royal Spyness Mystery series. I really enjoyed it.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, fall 2013, reading