Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-24, 03:15 PM  
loverly7

Restarting when sick & grieving

Hi everyone,

This has been a horrible 2024. In the first two months of the year, I’ve had three viruses, two sinus infections, and a sick kitty who didn’t make it. I’m rundown, exhausted, and grieving. I need to restart exercising, but I can’t bring myself to do it. The only thing I can consider doing is outdoor walks, but the Midwest weather doesn’t always cooperate.

My favorite indoor exercises are dance or kickboxing. I have the following fitness streaming services: Apple Fitness Plus, Les Mills Plus, and Shine Dance Fitness. I also have YouTube Premium, so no commercials.

I think my biggest problem right now with any indoor exercise is that the music is always upbeat and the vibes are always upbeat…and that’s great most of the time, but I can’t handle all that right now. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to gently restart? Are there any good YouTube fitness options for grieving or healing or comfort?

At the moment, the only thing I can think to do is to walk outdoors if the weather permits and maybe do one of Yoga With Adriene’s grief or healing centered YouTube videos.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions you all might have. Thanks in advance.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 03:35 PM  
Gams

I am so sorry for your loss and sorry about all the health issues you’ve had to deal with. I think I can identify with how you feel - in the last month I had to say goodbye to my cat and one of my dogs and a week ago I tripped in my yard and fell backward and landed hard on my head. Friday night my nephew played in his high school basketball playoff game and they lost by two points. It made sad because I’ll probably never see him play again plus I was already feeling pretty sad. I’ve been able to continue to work out, although not with much enthusiasm, but at least I keep moving. I figure it’s better than doing nothing and just feeling bad. I’m sorry I don’t have any helpful advice. Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 04:53 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Loverly7 and Gams - I'm so sorry for all that you have had to go through!

I like some of the nature walks on YouTube. I just did a random search and some are so pretty. I think you could walk to them at your own pace and do your own moves.

Some have music and some have just nature sounds:

Virtual Running Videos For Treadmill With Music | Virtual Run Mountain

4K Virtual Hike through Canadian Forest (with Nature Sounds)

Grand Canyon National Park Virtual Rim to River Run Down South Kaibab Trail 4k

HUGS!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 04:59 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Loverly7 - I'm sorry that you have been struggling. Being sick can be very depressing, and losing a beloved pet is so sad. I find that Jessica Smith has a very soothing delivery. Since you have YouTube Premium, why don't you check out some of her walks?

Gams - I'm sorry that you've been struggling as well. Sometimes it seems like hard times can come in waves. Take care.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 05:25 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I'm sending healing thoughts and best wishes to those who are suffering.

Loverly7, if walking is something you are able to do consistently, continue doing that. If the music bothers you, you could always follow a kickboxing routine with the volume turned off. Be gentle with yourself and I hope you feel better soon!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 08:03 PM  
Sollamyn

So sorry that you are going through such a rough time. I grieve a great deal when I lose a pet, so just know you are not alone.

I usually re-start with some easy workouts from Jessica Smith. She has some good self-care workouts on her Youtube channel for recovery days, "that time of the month" (which I don't have anymore but I still like the gentle workout), and lots of easy, short walking routine like her Walk-n-Talk series.

I hope you find something you want to do. If not, just breathe and try to appreciate this healing time. You'll get back on your feet when you are feeling better, so try not to worry about it too much.

Hugs,
Donna
Old 03-03-24, 08:37 PM  
Leonana

Loverly7 and Gams, I’m so sorry about your losses and illnesses

My suggestion would be to turn down the sound. I sometimes do that if the music is too loud.
Old 03-03-24, 08:44 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

So sorry that things are tough right now!

Lauren with Senior Shape has a very subdued delivery if you could stand to do some gentler workouts for a while. Her music is often quiet and very peaceful.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 06:23 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

So sorry to hear that you're going through some tough times!

I have Les Mills On Demand. Is that the same as Les Mills Plus? If so, you could try the new "Thrive" collection - it focuses on Legs and Core and has a much quieter vibe than traditional LM workouts. There's a "Low Impact" collection which includes some slower paced kickboxing sessions. They are about 20 minutes long, featuring KB and Rach. Have you scrolled thru the Hybrid workouts? That section has quite a collection of mix&match segments that might meet your needs.

If you enjoy following along with "paper workouts", using your own music, DAREBEE has several kickboxing collections.

Wishing you the best!
-Neita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-24, 07:57 AM  
fatkat555

I’m praying for healing for everyone who has been suffering. So sorry it’s been a rough go.

I really love Karen Voight especially her latest stretching and yoga type dvds. Her instruction is precise without being cheery and over the top. She definitely has a more mellow vibe. I find I reach for her or Rodney Yee when I want to shut off the “noise”.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grief, restarting