Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-10, 02:19 PM  
naturallove

Thumbs up TRX Bootcamp Report

So I started my TRX Bootcamp today, after not really doing too many tough workouts over the holiday break (the exception being 2 times of doing Lalofit 2). Well--I got my butt handed to me on a platter! I had a time getting my feet into the straps, but I thought I was doing pretty well. The suspended crunches (especially obliques) were tough, but I pretty much got everything. That's when I realized that I had only done the warmup! The instructor was only reviewing the exercises for the actual workout! The workout itself consisted of the same exercises (plus a few more) with plenty of reps and sets. The superset of chest presses and rows was pretty tough, but the hamstring curls were brutal! Here's a video of some of the exercises I did today in class. (My trainers made this video of a previous bootcamp.)

For some reason, I thought I was fine, and taught my regular biweekly classes (body sculpt and zumba). My hamstrings are on FIRE right now--thank goodness my massage therapist had a last minute opening! I can't wait to see my progress over the next 6 weeks! Just wanted to share!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 05:09 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Oh I'm jealous. Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I could find a class near me. I'm sure there's one somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 05:45 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
Oh I'm jealous. Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I could find a class near me. I'm sure there's one somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
I think you would really love it. You can make it as hard as you want it to be by adjusting your body, and it helps to have an instructor there who is always giving harder modifications. (Now that I think about it, she never said much about making things EASIER!) LOL I have to admit, I punked out on the pushups with the TRX, and just did plain straight-legged pushups. Maybe I'll try a few on Wednesday.
Old 01-09-10, 06:03 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Sounds like a great and tough class!!!
Old 01-09-10, 06:07 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Sounds like a great and tough class!!!
I'm kind of scared because I don't think we've progressed to the REALLY tough stuff yet! LOL I have a feeling this is going to be a lot like pilates, in the sense that it will get harder as I get more advanced (because of the progression of the exercises and greater body awareness on the TRX)
Old 01-09-10, 06:14 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
I'm kind of scared because I don't think we've progressed to the REALLY tough stuff yet! LOL I have a feeling this is going to be a lot like pilates, in the sense that it will get harder as I get more advanced (because of the progression of the exercises and greater body awareness on the TRX)
Oh, oh!!! But just think of how it will improve your fitness greatly. One good thing about the TRX and kettlebells is that they can be intense without the impact. I know that's important to you.
Old 01-09-10, 06:22 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Oh, oh!!! But just think of how it will improve your fitness greatly. One good thing about the TRX and kettlebells is that they can be intense without the impact. I know that's important to you.
You are 100 percent right about the impact! I am going to sign up for 2 sessions (12 weeks total) to really see what kinds of fitness gains I can make during this time. I'm going to use my other strength day to focus on kettlebell and barre work. I'm thinking I might try to get in a cardio-based kettlebell workout on another day, so I can have at least 2 kettlebell workouts each week.
Old 01-16-10, 11:56 AM  
naturallove

Week 2 Report

So, this week was my first full week of TRX bootcamp (we do it 2xs per week). I am definitely feeling tons more comfortable with putting my feet in and out of the straps, and other transitions from exercise to exercise. I also felt brave and did suspended pushups. I was able to do 3 sets of 6 (doing back rows in between), almost all of them with my feet in the air. Those balance lunges and forward squats are no joke! I can't think of many exercise systems that do such good work for the posterior chain, except kettlebells. It's no surprise that the methods two complement each other so well and are increasingly being utilized in the same workout. My hope is that both my strength and flexibility will increase over the next 10 weeks (I plan to either repeat the bootcamp or go onto the more advanced session, depending on what time allows). I have a Jungle Gym from the Monkey Bar Gym, but I'm debating on buying a TRX. The only thing is that even if the door anchor works, I'm not getting the full benefits from the TRX being anchored from a higher position, IMO. Maybe when it gets warmer I could take it outside. Anyway, having a great time with this and just wanted to share.
Old 01-16-10, 04:17 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thanks for the update on your workshops.
Old 01-18-10, 10:32 AM  
Kimberly33

Thanks for sharing these reports. I've just started using my (fake) TRX and am loving it. I'm very jealous of you!

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, trx, trx suspension trainer