Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-22, 09:43 PM  
prettyinpink

-
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 06:14 AM  
IceQueen07

Thanks for all the recommendations. I am going to do paper workouts for a bit. Kinda burnt out on dvds. Hopefully I will see some gains. If anyone comes up with anymore (whether free or not), please post as I know it is important to change things up here and there.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 06:37 AM  
prettyinpink

I posted and deleted as I wasn’t sure I had the correct website. I also wasn’t sure about posting programs from influencers that I haven’t tried myself.

But I came across a free program by @Megsquats on Instagram. It’s at @beforethebarbell and all the demos are there. It does assume you will be using a barbell for some exercises. She has a paid monthly program $10 that gives subs for gym equipment.

I am interested in the online program that Ben Bruno is working on, but I think it might end up being expensive as he is higher profile. I like to follow him. He shows a lot of unilateral work with dumbbells and the trap bar, and doesn’t seem to do barbell back squats, and I like that.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 01:47 PM  
Ann1964

Body for Life ? I used to do that many years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
I tried searching but didn't work for me. I am looking for suggestions for a good hypertrophy/progressive overload program. Can be a dvd, but also paper workout is fine, maybe even suggested trainers to look at. Thanks.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 06:10 PM  
Tugger31

STS is what comes to mind. If you've been lifting for awhile and have a decent base you could jump in right with Mesocycle 2. I personally got great results and did not figure out my 1 rep max's b/c I basically didn't want to take the time. I've done STS twice, the first time as is. The second time I did only Meso 2 and 3, but I repeated each week twice before moving on. I kept notes and the second week I tried to increase my weights anywhere I felt I could. It worked well.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 09:12 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I posted and deleted as I wasn’t sure I had the correct website. I also wasn’t sure about posting programs from influencers that I haven’t tried myself.

But I came across a free program by @Megsquats on Instagram. It’s at @beforethebarbell and all the demos are there. It does assume you will be using a barbell for some exercises. She has a paid monthly program $10 that gives subs for gym equipment.

I am interested in the online program that Ben Bruno is working on, but I think it might end up being expensive as he is higher profile. I like to follow him. He shows a lot of unilateral work with dumbbells and the trap bar, and doesn’t seem to do barbell back squats, and I like that.
I checked out Ben Bruno on Instagram. Looks like he has some good stuff!
frogribbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 05:08 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. I am going to do paper workouts for a bit. Kinda burnt out on dvds. Hopefully I will see some gains. If anyone comes up with anymore (whether free or not), please post as I know it is important to change things up here and there.
You can make paper workouts from youtube videos. Usually the description will have all the exercises. Just write it down and go at your own pace.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 05:49 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
You can make paper workouts from youtube videos. Usually the description will have all the exercises. Just write it down and go at your own pace.
I thought about that, but I would pick moves I like only. I am looking for a well written hypertrophy program from someone that actually knows what they are doing and that is not me.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 06:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

scroll down about 1/3 the way and there's a split rotation by day:
http://simplyshredded.com/the-ultima...ing-guide.html

i also wrote down the moves for P90x Legs and Back (you can just look at the training guide that has all of the moves written down) on an index card and used that on a Maui vacation - i used the hotel weight room.

I've also captured the audio from The Firm Tough Tape 1 and listened to the audio on a headset using the free weights at the Disneyland Hotel fitness room. this was during my Sony Walkman days too!

In the VF reviews section, many nice VFers have taken the time to write down the moves of various workouts from Cathe and many other instructors. You can use that as your list of moves and follow that as your routine.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 09:01 PM  
rhbrand

I really like the program The Year One Challenge for Women by Mike Matthews

Solid program with different phases every 8 weeks.

You can get a spiral bound from Amazon, or a PDF off his site Legion Athletics

Tags
heavy lifting, hypertrophy, paper workouts, strength rotation, strength training