Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-19, 05:00 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I'm not talking about someone who loses weight Because of illness or stress.
A colleague lost 82 pounds in 6.5 months, and she looked better heavy. It aged her twenty years. She did it exercising and counting calories.
That was a pretty fast weight loss. I bet her body is still recalibrating.

I think Bzar has a good point about the need to reassess hair style, makeup and clothing styles post weight loss.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 09-17-19, 08:24 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I lost 45 lbs 6 years ago when I was 56 so I did look a little gaunt at first and my skin was a little loose for awhile. But eventually the skin caught up and I did gain a few lbs back and that did help I think. So it does take time for everything to settle in at the new weight especially as we get older.
Old 09-17-19, 09:22 AM  
alisoncooks

I have a male friend who recently lost 100+ pounds through dieting. He is still unhappy with his body because he feels there's more to lose. I think he's just got loose skin and is "skinny fat" -- I've encouraged him to start building muscle, but he refuses because it'll "raise the # on the scale" and that's all he's concerned with.
Old 09-17-19, 10:23 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

My thoughts

I name one person that has had the dramatic weight change and look worse is Al Roker. I don't know how to spell his name. I guess I first learned of him rom watching the news. He was big man. Now that he has lost weight, He can't do a make over like woman. He can't get a wig or new lipstick, but to me, his weight loss makes him look worse. He looks tired and unhealthy. but that is in each persons opinion.

I see him and Jillian are at the weight loss battle again and her saying he didn't lose the weight by himself. or through exercise.

I think Kristy Aly also is one that did not do well with weight change. I guess how we first are introduced to someone is how we will continue to see them. And when they make a change, we don' like it

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
Old 09-17-19, 10:26 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the mental aspect might be something to consider addressing - mentally adapting to your new body.

one of my male co-workers had lost a significant amount of weight prior to when i met him. he had been at the lower weight for about 3-4 years before we met. he was happy and healthy, although he wondered why he hadn't found anyone to date in all that time (he's married now with a son ).

i suggested that he might still think of himself as overweight and unworthy to date in his mind, and after considering that idea, agreed. this co-worker is young enough to be my son, and he took kindly to my advice, like from a "mom."

about being skinny-fat - building muscle gradually might help tighten the loose skin and improve your body composition at the cellular level.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-17-19, 10:29 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
the mental aspect might be something to consider addressing - mentally adapting to your new body.

one of my male co-workers had lost a significant amount of weight prior to when i met him. he had been at the lower weight for about 3-4 years before we met. he was happy and healthy, although he wondered why he hadn't found anyone to date in all that time (he's married now with a son ).

i suggested that he might still think of himself as overweight and unworthy to date in his mind, and after considering that idea, agreed. this co-worker is young enough to be my son, and he took kindly to my advice, like from a "mom."
Jeannine, that was an incredibly kind approach to take.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 09-17-19, 10:40 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

about being skinny-fat - building muscle gradually might help tighten the loose skin and improve your body composition at the cellular level.
I think this is a great insight.

But I also have to say that Al Roker is the perfect example of what I was talking about with perception. He is still a big man, not wasting away, and he now runs marathons and feels better. He was morbidly obese and every day he now chooses not to be, which is his journey, so really it doesn’t matter how anyone thinks he looks but how he thinks he looks and feels. But I think he looks great and younger than his age.
Old 09-17-19, 11:41 AM  
H_Lo

As someone who has lost 120 pounds, it depressed me opening up this thread. I have to look in the mirror every day and try not to let my loose skin get to me. I was at my heaviest weight after the birth of my son almost 6 years ago. I lost 80 pounds the first year, then 20 the next year and then another 20 pounds the third year. I was in my late thirties and did this through eating better and exercise. I was exclusively doing The Firm (Benson era) for the first year then after first year it was 90% or more of doing The Firm. Unfortunately, you can only tone and firm up so much after a big weight loss. I know a lot of it has to do with genetics and not just age. It's been really hard for me having to lose all that weight only to be left with loose skin.
Old 09-17-19, 11:59 AM  
rhbrand

I have a friend who well, I think she lost about 10-15lbs to much. She now has visible collarbones, and you can sort of see her ribs when she's in her two piece swimsuit. She just doesn't look as healthy as she did a few pounds up.

I never say anything to her, cause well, she thinks she looks good, and she's maintained this weight well.
Old 09-17-19, 12:12 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I don't think, personally, that what I think of anyone's appearance should matter one whit to them. Whether they gain or lose weight, their appearance will change, and whether that change is for the better or for the worse is a matter of opinion. And mine is not important.

If they are HEALTHIER, who cares what they look like? They are living IN that body; they know what it feels like.

(Of course, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose weight. Not everyone who loses weight does so in a balanced, healthy, and maintainable way.)
Closed Thread

Tags
weight loss