Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-11, 12:07 PM  
Cassy

Well I just got a Wii and walk it out so I'm enjoying "walking" on my rebounder.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 12:15 PM  
Sophie

I love walking outdoors for cardio, but I can understand why someone else might not - even if traffic/pollution isn't an issue, there's still summer heat, wind, and mosquitoes (I'm pretty tired of smelling like Deet....).

But I really only consider it cardio, for my own purposes, if it raises my HR enough for actual cardiovascular improvement, which for me, means at least breaking a bit of a sweat.

So there's slow, dawdly everyday life walking - which itself has value, as lifestyle activity. But to me it feels different from walking with the intention of improving cardio capacity. And obviously there's stuff in between (walking faster to work than you meant to, cause you started late...)

But can walking be done for cardiovascular improvement? for sure, if you are walking at an intensity sufficient to bring it about, and that itself is variable (age, gender, starting fitness level, bla bla). As usual, depends on your starting point and your goals.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 12:19 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I love walking... but I like to walk TO something, not just for the sake of walking. Walkability is a key factor for me in where to live.

And while I appreciate the value of a good Leslie every once in a while, actually walking, as in propelling your body forward, is much better exercise than marching in place. You use more muscle when you are actually going somewhere.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 12:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

To me, walking is a subcategory of the larger category of cardio. Other subcategories include step, hi/lo, dance, bootcamp, etc. Walking can be one of the less intense types of cardio.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 02:19 PM  
shoegoddess

I hate walking outside. I'm not a sun person and living in the Palm Springs area it's sunny darn near every day. And I'm scared to death I'll run into a dog. I was going to the mailbox a while back and a pit bull was roaming the neighborhood So I just stick to my DVDs

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 02:36 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love to walk outside, but I live in a very temperate climate where there are lots of treed, shady walking trails nearby. I am also near the ocean and the ocean breeze is very refreshing. I have run into loose aggressive dogs a few times over the years and it can be scary especially if you are alone. The best way to walk outside is with friends IMO. It makes the time go by so fast and there is always security in numbers! We have a small group of friends that we hike with on a regular basis.

I also like a Leslie walk, but have to agree that a good walk outside is better because you propel your body forward and go up and down with variations in the terrain. It is very hilly where I live and the hills sure step up the cardio.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 02:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Cindy - I love your Maxine cartoon!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 07-07-11, 02:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
Well I just got a Wii and walk it out so I'm enjoying "walking" on my rebounder.
I am enjoying Leslie walks on my rebounder.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 07-07-11, 02:54 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Walking can be one of the less intense types of cardio.
I would definitely not relegate walking to just 'less-intense' cardio.

Walking can be any intensity of cardio, depending on technique, speed, etc. What matters is what heart rate range you are working at. So a casual stroll would be in the 'recovery' 50-55% of max HR range, while an intense interval workout or fast tempo walk can get you up to the lactate threashold/anaerobic threshold. And incorporating hill repeats can make a walk more of a muscle-strengthening workout.

I don't consider DVD 'walking' workouts to be like actual walking. They are more walking-style aerobic workouts. There's no way a supposed 5 mph Leslie walk is the equivalent of an outdoor walk at a 5 mph average.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 03:33 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I love to walk outside, but I live in a very temperate climate where there are lots of treed, shady walking trails nearby. I am also near the ocean and the ocean breeze is very refreshing.
And you live in one of the most beautiful areas of the world to walk!

you're right about the scary dogs, though - that worries me a bit. Even if I'm walking with my own two very large dogs, I still don't want to encounter trouble. There are always some coyote sightings where I walk, too - even in broad daylight, and there have been the occasional attcks

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, walk, walking, walking for fitness