Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-06, 08:41 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
Something I've thought about a lot over the years is that instructors also have access to better equipment, which may make a bit of difference. I'm referring mostly to floors that help absorb impact, or a variety of equipment that helps them avoid modifying in potentially dangerous ways.
I agree. I always remember WWWendy's comments about the floor at Cathe's gym, and how cushy it feels. Other people who have gone on Cathe road trips say that they can do plyo work on her floors, but not at home.

Also, they (the more well-known instructors, and those who make video workouts) have perhaps more access to physical therapists and doctors who can help prevent injuries, or keep a small injury from becoming chronic (because they may work with PT's and such).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 09:22 AM  
hope2bfit

Yeah, I wish I had thought about all the high impact and the damage I was doing to my body when I was younger.

When I was 18, I discovered the Firm (volume 2). Of course, I was hooked and snatched up all the classics and preordered them as soon as I could. They were the only workouts to this day that I have preordered.

At my peak, I was doing a classic volume followed by a parts tape (for an hour & a half to a 2 hour workout) a day six days a week. I challenged myself. My heaviest weight for french presses were 20 lb dumbbells crossed over each other and biceps curls were 15 pounds.

I was in the best shape of my life. I had the six pack. My thighs stopped the same time I did. No jiggle.

I was working in a very physical job at the time. I had to wear a very unflattering uniform. (I worked in production for a large pharmaceutical manufacturer). Those that didn't know me would approach me and ask me about my workouts. I guess it was obvious that I worked out even beneath a baggy uniform. The sad thing is, I still wasn't happy with the way I looked. I knew that I didn't look bad but I always saw something that I felt I needed to change.

Now that I'm older with chronic back & leg pain from 3 back surgeries within a 2 year period, I would love to look like that again. I don't know if my workouts caused my back injury. I never had any problems while working out. It wasn't until 9 months after I had to stop because I was going back to school full time while continuing to work full time, that I started to have pain and even then, I ignored it for awhile. I was in my early 20's and thought I had pulled a muscle...

We need our back for everything from sitting, standing & walking. You don't realize it until you don't have it.

I'm very stubborn. But I've coming to the realization that at 36, I can't beat myself up anymore. I still own the Firm classics (I'm not much for the new ones or whfn). I've discovered & acquired some of Cathe in the last year. I really love the pyramids and lowmax. I've also gotten into Pilates (I own a reformer) and yoga has been my focus in the last few months. I love yoga live, some of Barons, & I have the sedona series from Mark although it will be awhile before I can do them...

It's hard. We want to be healthy and look our best and at the same time not do any more damage to our bodies. As was stated earlier, you can't see degeneration from the outside. I've been told that i have the back of a 60+ year old....
hope2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 10:53 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Also, I know that I personally didn't have perfect form and all that right away when I started exercising at home. I mean, I was by myself and had only a 2-dimensional TV instructor to watch, so it took me a while. I started with Firms, notorious for not teaching proper style DURING the workout and I admit, I was too lazy to watch one of their 20 Questions segments (still have never seen it!).

So, I know there were many things I was doing wrong for a long time and that probably wasn't great for my body. Newer workouts may emphasize teaching of proper form more than older ones, but I'm sure there are still many out there that don't.

I would imagine that instructors are in a group setting at some point, so they get more feedback and information about proper form, which helps avoid injury.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 12:08 PM  
Bebop

This is why I decided to practice yoga.

I'm 46 and in shape but I can't do high impact at all anymore. My knees are starting to give me problems. I do all high impact on the rebounder. I hurt my knees stepping in January. I can't tell you how painful it was - my knee just buckled. Luckily, I healed on my own.

Instead of step I'm now trying to take my workouts outside for walk/light jogs.

My yoga teacher is 60. She has a book of a woman in her 80's doing all these poses that I only dream about. One of the other teachers in my studio is in her 50's and has MS. She is awesome.

At some point, I may give up the stepping, but yoga is ageless. There is a style of yoga for anybody at any age and any level. I think the flexibility and balance training from yoga is important as we age.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 12:21 PM  
Libby

Is the larger Trampoline safe?

I have a large trampoline in my backyard. I keep forgetting it is there until I have knee problems! So I guess it's safe for the knees, right? Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 01:14 PM  
MichelleRN

Hey Hope2be, don't beat yourself up...remember in the HIGH impact days (including doing step with ANKLE weights on), we were told that we were strengthening our hamstrings, thighs, etc, so that we wouldn't ever have an injury...remember? Who'd have thunk that joints would wear out? I CRINGE when I see Cathe bounding up on the high step...and now she knows too. I teach hot yoga to a marathoner (24 years old) and already he is on ice (ankles, back and PELVIC PAIN) half of the day....high impact is SO yesterday! But you couldn't have told me that at 25...or 35.....
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 02:03 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop
This is why I decided to practice yoga.

I'm 46 and in shape but I can't do high impact at all anymore. My knees are starting to give me problems. I do all high impact on the rebounder. I hurt my knees stepping in January. I can't tell you how painful it was - my knee just buckled. Luckily, I healed on my own.
I'm a very slow learner. I haven't done any floor or step cardio for over 2 months. We've been traveling in S. America so all cardio has been walking. Funny, my knees feel like they did when I was in my thirties. I hope this is a lesson I won't forget...this time. For the longest time, with step and Cathe-type standing leg stuff my right knee hasn't liked bearing any weight up or down stairs -- I thought it was just natural ageing, although I did cut out the Cathe standing stuff a couple of years ago and noticed some improvement.

I'm 61 so I thought some of this deterioration stuff is just part of the process, to be expected. NOT!!! Hey, eventually we all learn that pounding the head against a brick wall is not necessarily beneficial...I guess.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 02:08 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

So Sharon, does that mean you will be cancelling your pre-order for my "head against brick wall" workout. C'mon, it's guaranteed to burn that pesky neck and head fat.
Old 06-14-06, 02:20 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S.
So Sharon, does that mean you will be cancelling your pre-order for my "head against brick wall" workout. C'mon, it's guaranteed to burn that pesky neck and head fat.
Ah Loretta, you know me all too well! You know I can't resist some good old fashioned punishment! Bring on that rack!!!!
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 03:47 PM  
lorrayne
VF Supporter

Libby, I regret to say this but I disagree with your doctor. Let me state why. I do agree that performing an old school squat is bad for your knees. This is where one is performing a really deep squat where the buttocks are almost touching the ground. This old school way of doing squats should no longer be performed. Squating no deeper than a 90 degree angle (if it's comfortable for you) is perfectly safe provided you are in good form; knees not well over your toes, your torso isn't jutting way out in front of you. I would say that for beginners to lower body work that they should do these exercises until they have perfected the move with good form. Until this time should they progress in the use of weights; either hand weights or a barbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby
My doctor said that the lunges and squats like Cathe does especially with the weights on the shoulders are very bad for your knees.
Libby
lorrayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe injury, injuries, instructor injuries