Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-06, 01:27 PM  
mtnmom

DDD sale, virtual CCs and backorders...

I decided my VHS of Still Steppin' needed a DVD replacement and ordered Fantastic Four from DDD since it's the 20% off sale. I always use my Discover Card virtual credit card for purchases on the net, and especially am cautious with DDD. However, Fantastic Four is on backorder. DDD apparently doesn't charge until items are shipped and they also gave me the 20% off. But I opted for the "Bill me Later" plan. My fear was that if DDD doesn't ship this for months, will my one-time use Discover Card reject the charges? And then will I have to reorder at full price?

I might be ordering more from DDD using different discount codes and wondered if anyone had any experience with this.
Old 06-13-06, 01:31 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've never used Bill Me Later, so I'm not sure how that will work. I'm not sure I understand why you'd use that AND the virtual card, especially for backorder, since you'll be billed for it later anyway.

However, I've used my virtual Discover card and had things on backorder for which I was charged later, and didn't have any problems. And honestly, if there were ANY problem, I'm completely confident Discover would call. They've called me many times on things that might seem vaguely suspicious (large purchases, me trying to use my card at a store that doesn't accept Discover, etc.).

If you're really concerned, just call and ask Discover. I've always had good experiences with their customer service.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 01:54 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
I've never used Bill Me Later, so I'm not sure how that will work. I'm not sure I understand why you'd use that AND the virtual card, especially for backorder, since you'll be billed for it later anyway.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I've always used the virtual CC in the past. However, when I placed this latest order, on the checkout page DDD stated that Fantastic Four was on backorder and I wouldn't be charged until it shipped. So, because of my concerns, I used the "Bill Me Later" option for the first time.

I guess part of my concern is because on a recent purchase from Champion, my virtual Discover Card was rejected for some odd reason. I ordered on a Saturday and thought maybe they didn't try putting the charge through until Monday. All speculation on my part. I placed the order again using the virtual credit card (mid-week) and it went through just fine.
Old 06-13-06, 02:41 PM  
prospurr4

I always use my Discover card, one-time-use number, when purchasing online. When something has been backordered or I've chosen easy payments (QVC) or flex-pays (HSN), I have no problem as long as the date charged does not exceed the cc expiration date...That happened to me one time.

In fact, right now I have a backorder at DDD, and I don't expect a problem.

HTH
prospurr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 02:50 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I called Discover card about their virtual card. They said the virtual number is valid ONLY for that particular merchant. I inquired about it since a lot of VFers have problems with BB. I was trying to place an order with BB. In BB case (where you are double billed or charge for something you didn't order), it wouldn't help because the number will still be valid for BB. However, in DDD case, when someone hacked their system, the number will be invalid for hackers to shop at other e-tailers.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 03:34 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

That's really good to know. I wasn't sure exactly what the limitations are on the virtual number.

I tend to believe that with all the calls I've gotten from them, if there were two identical charges on my card from the same vendor, Discover might even call me to check on that. I've never had that happen, but it could happen with Beachbody!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 04:16 PM  
mtnmom

Perhaps my problem with Champion was an error on their side - transposed a number or something. I checked my statement and only one charge (the valid one) went through when I had the problem last month.

Thank you for the information on the limitations of a virtual cc, hdw.

And, FWIW, kudos to Discovercard! I love the ease and security of the virtual cc's. Plus, about a year ago, they called me regarding suspicious charges that proved to be unauthorized - and they only amounted to $80 (could have been much worse if not caught so fast). I think they were generated overseas on the same day groceries and gas were puchased here at home and that's what alerted them.

Old 06-13-06, 04:58 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Oh, I forgot to add. Discover card also told me that you could use virtual card for your revolving bills -- phone, cable, netflix, etc. The number will be valid for that particular vendor only.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 06:57 PM  
KathAL79

The only potential problem I can think of is if your virtual CC expires on a certain date, like mine does (MBNA Visa).
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 05:02 PM  
twodiffsocks

Hi Ya'll,

I've always used my debit card, its bached by MC. i want to use a virtual CC since DDD has been hacked into. I've rarely used the site but dont want to take the chance.

WHERE can i find it?

thanks in advance

"There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees.
I got bills to pay,
I got mouths to feed,
There ain't nothing in this world for free.
I know I can't slow down,
I can't hold back,
Though you know, I wish I could.
No there ain't no rest for the wicked,
Until we close our eyes for good".
Ain't No Rest For The Wicked -Cage The Elephant

"I dare you to do better." Christopher Pike
Start Trek {2009}

twodiffsocks is offline   Reply With Quote