Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-06, 09:47 AM  
mtnmom

Facts, as I know them. Not that they really matter...
  • Cathe turned 40 on July 19, 2004
  • Cathe was on Good Morning America, not the Today Show
  • CKsales took preorders, not Collage

I hope Cathe can begin filming soon. You all have waited a long time and I'm sure the finished product will be worth it.
Old 06-11-06, 09:51 AM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
Facts, as I know them. Not that they really matter...
  • Cathe turned 40 on July 19, 2004
  • Cathe was on Good Morning America, not the Today Show
  • CKsales took preorders, not Collage

I hope Cathe can begin filming soon. You all have waited a long time and I'm sure the finished product will be worth it.

Thanks mtnmom for that correction. I have Collage on the brain.
jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:18 AM  
DRD0

Who earns 5% on 60.00? I believe my normal savings is 1.5% and my high yield money market is 4.65%. So it would have been less than 3.00 earned, and for the pre-order price, more than 3.00 saved.

I will be 45 on August 19. I continue to do Cathe's work-outs. I watch for signs that I should not do this style of work-out. What I have found out in the last couple of years. When I let up and take the easier route, I seem to hurt more. When I work at a higher level, I feel better, hurt less, and have more energy.

I listen to my body. I take rest days for recovery. I cross train lots and lots to keep from burning out on one thing, and to keep my body balanced. I vary the intensity of my work-outs from day to day, some very high, and am glad I have Cathe to turn to for those, some days lower, where I grab a TLT, or a CIA or a Firm. For me variety is needed to keep from getting bored. I have been a hard-core exerciser for almost 33 years. I need variety.

I know that as we age, we have to be careful, but I seem to be in much better shape, have a lot more energy then a lot of people my age. I admit, I have very good genetics, and have also been working out a very long time. If I had started this type of work-out at 35-40, no way could I probably be doing it at 45, but who knows. My GP Doc started running a few years ago to fight 40 fat, and he runs all the time now and looks better than he ever did and is beating the younger folks in 10Ks around here!

So, I will listen to my body, but also keep doing what I can do, as long as I can.

Don't tell Cathe she is too old for a style of work-out. You are not in her body, only she can say. This injury can happen to a 20 something as well as a 40 something. Injuries happen to everyone, people who work-out, people who do not. It is part of life.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 11:32 AM  
kristieschultz

Ok I guess I need to go to the GMA thread to see what was said in her interview. What was the whole point of it? What did the doc say?

This is my thinking on the whole high impact businesss. It burns lots of calories. Imax's are fun fantastic workouts. My question and concern: Do I need to do this type of pounding on the joints workout to stay in good shape. The answer I keep coming back to time and time again: NO I do not. Working out on a daily basis and eating right, for me, also goes hand in hand with taking care of my body and constantly keeping in mind what is good for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Imax and plyx and all the jumping. It makes me feel strong and cool. BUT, do I need it to stay in great shape and could it POSSIBLY be doing more harm than good no mattter how old a person is. YES, maybe so. I've been thinking an awful lot about this as my imaxs sit in my video cabinet and don't get used very much any more.

Just my thoughts and observations. thanks for listening!!
kristieschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 12:14 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieschultz
Ok I guess I need to go to the GMA thread to see what was said in her interview. What was the whole point of it? What did the doc say?

This is my thinking on the whole high impact businesss. It burns lots of calories. Imax's are fun fantastic workouts. My question and concern: Do I need to do this type of pounding on the joints workout to stay in good shape. The answer I keep coming back to time and time again: NO I do not. Working out on a daily basis and eating right, for me, also goes hand in hand with taking care of my body and constantly keeping in mind what is good for me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Imax and plyx and all the jumping. It makes me feel strong and cool. BUT, do I need it to stay in great shape and could it POSSIBLY be doing more harm than good no mattter how old a person is. YES, maybe so. I've been thinking an awful lot about this as my imaxs sit in my video cabinet and don't get used very much any more.

Just my thoughts and observations. thanks for listening!!
My thoughts exactly! I think the problem is that we don't know what all the years of high impact is doing to us until we finally have a problem. FWIW, I'm 41 and have been exercising since my mid 20s.

So, I try to vary my workouts and not do too much joint pounding. But, to each his own on what kind of workout we do.
Old 06-11-06, 12:40 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Like many of you 40 + women have mentioned, I'm 42 and have been exercising since my early 20's. I have to listen to my body now because I just don't recover like I use to. I once ignored recovery days, now I welcome them!

I don't know if Cathe will use this recent injury as a wake up call. Maybe she doesn't need to. I seem to recall a post by her stating that her doctor didn't think her injury was caused by the wear and tear of aging joints from constant pounding, rather he felt it was due to some "freak" incident, like for example when someone ruptures a lumbar disc while sneezing.

I can see the Cathe rumor mill now...someone's going to mention in a future post that Cathe injured her leg when she sneezed!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 12:48 PM  
jordan

One of things Cathe talked about was the importance of crosstraining. I'm with her on that point. I crosstrain by myself and with other instructors. I enjoy working out with all levels of exercise, intensity, & impact. There is a wide range of workouts/activities and I am happy they exist.

I really do feel that everyone has a different health and fitness history that will affect their routine & their bodies. My mom never did the types of exercises that I do and she is falling apart, joints included (this is not a genetic problem). I have worked out since a very young age (high impact included) and the benefits are numerous. I know that I will have to adjust my program as I continue to age, heck I modify when I need to now. It is ok to admit to limitations. One of the reasons that I exercise is to ensure a better quality of life.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 12:49 PM  
Mary09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD0
Who earns 5% on 60.00?
Plenty of non-bank investments out there. The US large-cap stock market is up about 8.5% in the last year.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-06, 12:50 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Well, I'm glad for the mini-mini update...I've totally forgotten what the new workouts are about so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when they hit my doorstep in, oh, October.

And Jennifer P, I LOL'd at "tuck jump frenzy"!
Old 06-11-06, 02:23 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I really think Cathe, having been active all her life and no doubt following good nutrition and maybe blessed with good genetics (good bones?), may well be able to keep up with her style of workouts better than most. If not, she's smart enough to make any necessary changes. Frankly, I'm glad she's taking time to heal completely and not rushing into these. That is one result of aging. It takes longer to recover. Once recovered...she could very well go at it with all the tuck jumps she likes

As for these newest workouts, I cancelled to take advantage of getting my hands on the TLT's and haven't regretted that. I haven't missed the Hardcores, so while I love her workouts, I already have enough of them to keep me happy...for now. I may well get a few of these once they're out and I've checked the reveiws. Maybe not

Tags
cathe injury, cathe preorder, cathe presale, presale drama, sash series