Old 05-15-06, 06:36 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Knee Replacement, Anyone?

Has
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 07:10 PM  
antbuko

Linda, I haven't had knee repacement but I probably will in another 10 years or so. When my doc informed me of this I did a little bit of research and found some forums over on Delphi Forums that you might want to check out:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/onourfeet

http://forums.delphiforums.com/NewKnees

http://forums.delphiforums.com/eh-jointreplace
Old 05-15-06, 07:23 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Linda, I am so sorry that you are still having knee pain. I had hoped that your previous surgery would help. I don't have any experience with knee replacement. But, wanted to post to wish you well.

((((HUGS))))

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 07:37 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Knee replacement - miraculous results

Linda,

First off my sympathies are with you, it is so gut-wrenching to run out of options with an injury and it sure can make you feel helpless. I don't think the average person has any idea how important their knees (and feet! and hips!) are to their day-to-day activity and their overall quality of life.

Now I personally don't have any experience with a young fit person undergoing knee replacement surgery. Having said that, it worked miracles for my mother-in-law and also for a physician friend of mine. My doctor friend was 45 when he had it done and he swears it was a miracle - he cannot believe he didn't do it two years sooner. He says it's like having a new knee! And it really *is*. He can lift weights, do lunges & squats, he is an avid cyclist. I don't know about running...

After spending 20 years in pain my MIL finally had her knee replaced in November.

She is not an assertive person (can you say M-A-R-T-Y-R?) so she did not comply with any of the treatment or any of her doctor's recovery recommendations. She did not ice her knee, she didn't take the anti-inflammatories, she didn't use the range of motion machine, etc. She absolutely despises exercise, physical therapy or any activity in general - yet she recovered nicely and her knee is completely healed and 100% now.

She has absolutely no pain and is able to climb stairs, walk and kneel with no pain. And you have to admit, that is a worse-case-scenario.

I would say shop around for the best orthopedic surgeon in town. If you don't have any friends who work at the local hospital, just go in, take the elevator to the orthopedic ward or post-op recovery room and ask the nurses there 'who would YOU want to do your knee replacement?" Read up on the surgery - it is major surgery, they make an 8-12 inch incision. And the actual knee replacement is very primative brute force medicine. You can even ask to be awake during the procedure (numb from the waist down) but some folks are bothered by the sounds and smells of the bone cutting process.

Then ask your doctor to be as aggressive as possible with the CPM machine - and suck up the pain meds without being stoic. The CPM 'continuous passive motion" machine stretches your knee and folds it continuously. The quicker you begin using it after surgery (sometimes within 2-3 hours) and the longer you use it each day the better your range of motion, the less likely you'll get scar tissue or adhesions, and the faster your recovery. Take the pain medicine and do your knee some good by using the CPM right away! Do the exercises recommended and get physical therapy prescribed if your insurance will cover it.

I'm sure others will pipe in here about their experiences, I hope you find the answers you need. I am amazed that you've coped so well with so much pain for so long.
Old 05-15-06, 07:45 PM  
baba

my mother had both her knees replaced at the same time a couple of years ago (she was in her late sixties). She is a VERY active woman (she has more energy than I ever will have!) within six weeks of getting both done she was back tap dancing. physical therapy did hurt she said, but she really stuck to it because it is her life. i still can't catch up to her!
baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 09:33 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

No knee replacement (yet, though I'm probably headed that way) but I also wanted to give you some support and mention that the two people I know who've had it done are both very happy with their recoveries. I'm sure it will help you, too. Good luck!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 08:09 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

g
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 08:34 AM  
atticus
VF Supporter

Hip replacement, not knee, but it's great!

Linda,
I haven't had knee replacement but I am currently 6 1/2 weeks post-op from my second hip replacement and I cannot say enough about how much better life is after the surgery is done! My first hip was done 2 years ago and although the decision is a tough one to make, it took away all of the pain from that hip and I was able to resume all of my prior exercises other than running! Feel free to pm me if you want more info.
Good luck!
Old 05-16-06, 08:35 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H
It's such a relief to have a logical reason for the pain.
Linda
I don't have any info, just want to give you a BIG ((((HUG))). At least now you know the reason for pain... that's a start in the right direction.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 12:28 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H
...I'm not emotionally ready for the surgery yet. I thought I was doing rather well after the injections...
Since the injections have given you some relief perhaps you could put off any idea of surgery for several months, or even a year, giving you some time, perhaps for a second opinion, but certainly for informing yourself more about it all and psyching yourself up for it and choosing the best time to have it (spring, summer, fall, winter...).