Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-06, 11:32 AM  
wendy2

From the following link (this is not specifically about Plica surgery, but still...:

http://www.zimmer.com/ctl?template=P...tion=1&id=8095

"By 6 to 8 weeks, you should be able to resume an active lifestyle. However, you will need to avoid activities that put significant amounts of weight on your knee, as well as those that involve twisting maneuvers, for a long time. The outcome depends largely on the degree of damage found in your knee and how well you follow your doctor's instructions after surgery. "

I hope Cathe just forgets about this series and focuses on her recovery. If she had not been in pre-sale mode/wrapped up in the whole process when this injury occured, is there any real possiblilty that she would have started filming a new series 11-12 weeks after surgery?!
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 09:33 PM  
icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan76
I think so too- she says it will take 6 weeks to resume normal activity then 3 more weeks after that to film.

I would say it will take 8 weeks to resume normal activity then 4 weeks after to get into filming shape. (and I'M being optimistic here...)

Its April 13th now so she won't be able to film until mid to late July. With all the post production stuff she has to do--these DVD won't be ready until September. Does anyone remember when the original pre-sale was held? This has to be the record for longest time between pre-sale and DVD release.

In any case, I wish Cathe well and I hope she has a speedy recovery
Pre-sale started in September. I am glad I cancelled. Wish her best recovery. But seems her injury was much, much more than was lead on initially. 6-8 weeks til filming? That camp has been saying that since November, realistically, they have.

Anyway, the longest pre-sale in history. And they really should give those that have sweated it out a huge discount. Unbelievable.....anyway wish Cathe all the best and forget about the DVD's and focus on getting your knee healed. At this juncture, way more important than some pre-sale, JMHO.
Old 04-16-06, 08:41 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tait
Why is the new talent better and why can't they compete any longer? Does age and injuries play into this? I am sure they continue to play some and obviously in their own way. Being old does not mean not mean you cannot continue to be active but some of the ways we do things when we are younger change as we get older.
As we age, our reaction time naturally slows down, we may not have as good a balance. Even if we work to keep ourselves in prime condition, there is no way that most people can perform the same at 40 as they did at 20. It's just a fact of life.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 10:11 AM  
Redeye

Yes, it is a fact of life that we all slow down. I found this interesting article on the subject. According to this article, we don't have a substantial decline util 75; I would have thought it much earlier.:

Quote:
The study, yet to be published, found moderate decline in performance among athletes in their 50s and 60s, and then a steep decline starting at 75. The study headed by Dr. Vonda Wright, a clinical instructor in the University of Pittsburgh's Department of Orthopedics, suggested the effects of muscle weakening, cardiovascular capacity decline and diminished bone mineral density can't be overcome, no matter how hard one tries.

"Even the best of the best of us experience a substantial decline after 75," said Wright, whose report called that age "a tipping point" for plummeting athletic abilities.
Read the article here
Old 04-16-06, 11:51 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Here's to all of us who refuse to go down without a fight!!!

Redeye, thanks for the link...what an inspiring read, yet a great wake up call to reality I've even bookmarked it for future study!

And DRDO, thanks for getting my drift on knees, genetics and high impact stuff!

All this boils down for me is that Cathe will mend better than most her age, or any age, because she's in top notch condition. She will also, hopefully...if she's as wise as she is fit, make future decisions on both her own fitness program and also on future workout productions on any lessons learned and still challenge both her and us. And that she won't let anyone else (except her doctors) make those decisions for her.

I love her workouts, reach for them whenever I want a good sweat fest that will push me to better my own fitness level. And though I cancelled my preorder, I'll probably wind up getting some of these later (the Gym Styles have never tempted me for some reason).

As for the older athletes, I'm old enough to remember when "old" George Blanda (about 42 I think at the time), came off the bench to do what the then reigning QB (much younger, don't rightly recall his name ) couldn't do: lead the Oakland Raiders to victory; not once but countless times!!!!

To me the take home message is to do as much as you can and want to, do it the best you can and don't let anyone tell you you're too old and need to slow down or, worse, just give up and sit in that rocking chair (that's for relaxing with the big, cold glass of water AFTER that wonderful round of Step Blast or Living Proof or Ripped or ....you name it!)!
Old 04-16-06, 12:01 PM  
steakhousegirl

Lydia, great post. I totally agree with you. Let me put it this way: I could barely do Firm Vol. 1 with 2# weights when I bought it in 1986. Now I do it with way heavier poundage. Also, when I was younger and not as fit as I am now I was always subject to injury and it took me a long time to heal. Now that I'm older and hopefuly wiser I am really much more fit than I was 20 years ago. I think Cathe, in her very fit state will recover much soon than others would. I think her optimism is warranted.
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 12:23 PM  
Redeye

Quote:
To me the take home message is to do as much as you can and want to, do it the best you can and don't let anyone tell you you're too old and need to slow down or, worse, just give up and sit in that rocking chair (that's for relaxing with the big, cold glass of water AFTER that wonderful round of Step Blast or Living Proof or Ripped or ....you name it!)!
TRUE, TRUE, TRUE!!!

Cathe will probably never have to modify anything down the way I have to even when she reaches 75! HAH! Look at Jack LaLane. They are freaks, I tell ya!

My father had arthritis and so do I even though I exercise, eat fairly right, and he didn't. But then again, he wasn't anywhere nearly as fit as I am at this age.
Old 04-16-06, 02:03 PM  
KaNGaMaLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tait
Why is the new talent better and why can't they compete any longer? Does age and injuries play into this?
I am only really familiar with distance running, so I'll use them as an example of why they stop competing professionally (usually) by their mid-30's:

- their speed starts to decay overall

- they are past their peak (peak is at around late-20's-early-30's)

- as they are no longer as fast they are unlikely to make a career (money-wise) out of competing anymore

- runners get a little bit faster with each generation (generally), so coupled with their own declining speed and endurance, they cannot compete (seriously) with them

- elite runners are fragile creatures (peak fitness is balancing on the edge of 'amazingly fit' and 'horribly injured/ill'), and there is only so many times that you can push yourself right up to your peak (I imagine)

- some elite athletes will continue to compete but no longer at senior level (but rather in age-group level - ie, 35-40yrs, or 65-70yrs, etc.) - I believe that Joan Benoit Samuelson is doing this herself

However, I would not call Cathe an elite athlete in the way that elite runners are. I'd say that she works out d*mn hard and is d*mn fit, but she isn't pushing herself to her very limit and holding herself to that kind of limit (where you become very fragile and very susceptable to illness and injury) for up to 4wks at a time. She's probably also not competing or subjecting herself to ice-baths (although I do!), sports massages, having to follow a strict eating pattern, sleeping 2hrs in the afternoon (to rejuvenate between training) and having to sleep for about 11hrs per night.
KaNGaMaLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 07:05 PM  
jordan

It is nice to know that Cathe came through surgery & is doing fine.

She has handled this event well. Making her health a priority is a good example for others to follow. I wish her well and I leave it at that because the only person who can say what she should do in the future is Cathe herself. If I feel strongly about an idea for a good workout, I will suggest it on her forum. If there is enough interest then she will consider it. She has shown that she knows her body best, that she can design & produce the workouts that her customers like and that she can make her own decisions even in stressful times.

I don’t compare the time line of this pre-order with other pre-orders because of the circumstances which caused the delay. Initially, I don’t feel she realized how this injury would affect filming. Heck, it took the medical care provider’s time to discover the diagnosis and a suitable method of treatment. She didn’t cave under pressure; she was a professional. She made the necessary decisions for her health and her business. She provided prompt refunds to her customers that didn’t want to wait for her injury to heal and kept the pre-order for those who wanted to wait. If she includes a thank you gift with my order, it would be nice but not necessary. I don’t expect to take advantage of someone else’s misfortune by expecting additional compensation. No one is twisting my arm; I have the option to cancel my order.

Additionally, she used her situation to educate other fitness enthusiasts about injuries. I give her the credit she deserves because she has certainly taken a lot of criticism and there is room for both.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 07:21 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

A couple of weeks ago I participated in a charity race where Amby Burfoot (1968 Boston Marathon winner and executive editor of Runner's World) was marshal. The night before, he gave an informal talk. He said of arthritis that he'd read a great deal about the relationship between running and arthritis in the knees, and really hadn't seen convincing evidence either way. He also said that he's trying to learn to swim (it's harder when you're older) and has taken up walking, planning for those times when he won't be running as much or might give it up entirely. He also said that he was taking up lower body strength training because he wanted to be able to get up from the toilet when he was older .

I'm 51 and enjoy running. I'm naughty, and do most of my running on concrete, because that's what's in my neighborhood. It doesn't bother me, but I make sure that my shoes are in good shape and I don't run every day by a long shot. I also try to cross-train.

However, keep in mind that Cathe teaches classes as well as producing videos. That's a lot of working out, probably a lot more than many of us who own her videos ever do. I love Power Max, but I don't want to do its equivalent every day, any more than I want to run every day.

Of course, I also love Low Max, and would love to see her mine that particular vein a bit more. She might be able to film something like that a lot sooner than something more high-impact.

ETA: after the race, my brother and I were looking at the results. At 56, Burfoot ran seven-minute miles in the 10k.

Tags
cathe injury