Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-23, 01:13 PM  
moonbeam31

I agree with everyone's suggestions so far! Don't forget her stretching/yoga to do on rest day/s or after a workout! I adore them and are my favorites!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 02:13 PM  
donnamp

Pam - good reminder about making these your own - I think that is where I struggle w/ rotations - I have to realize that if I feel like doing something else one day or I want to go off plan for a day or two it is fine. The whole purpose is just to keep moving.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-23, 07:47 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Hey everyone - thank you for the well-wishes!! I'm handling treatment pretty well. Mainly very tired & irritable. But unfortunately, I caught Covid while recovering from surgery and right before radiation was scheduled to start. The cancer center counted down the 10 days of isolation from my first symptoms, and on Day 11 I was in radiation treatment. So I think some of my fatigue is that I haven't even fully recovered from Covid yet.

I do believe being fit has helped a great deal. And the discipline of consistently "doing something" has kept me going.

Ginger - Congrats on starting your retirement years with a health check-up !!! I will be a very vocal advocate for mammograms. I was working a second career / "ease into retirement" job that had fantastic benefits. Once I decided I was going to retire & would lose my medical benefits, I went for every single health screening / test / procedure that my employment insurance covered. Until then I was very lax about getting mammograms; I went maybe every 3 years. So thankfully my decision to retire led me to taking much better care of myself and the cancer was found early.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 07:47 AM  
Floren

Footballnut - Congrats on retirement! And Firmdancer, sending healing thoughts your way.

If it’s really been a while since exercising, she has some options on YouTube to just get yourself used to moving again.

Walking videos and stretching videos feel good. (For me, when I restarted a while back after some health issues, even some “beginner” 30 minute workouts felt like a lot. It was nice to have easier options). Have fun!

Walk and talks – easy 15 min walking to get moving
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MI3LA4jmA_Cx9Q

Stretching Routines - the newer ones on this list are especially good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu0V...8jpkIY6Fe9TzLZ

“Beginner” Workouts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu0V...bKkKqaAlPlrLIY
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 06:25 AM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Footballnut - Congrats on retirement! And Firmdancer, sending healing thoughts your way.

If it’s really been a while since exercising, she has some options on YouTube to just get yourself used to moving again.

Walking videos and stretching videos feel good. (For me, when I restarted a while back after some health issues, even some “beginner” 30 minute workouts felt like a lot. It was nice to have easier options). Have fun!

Walk and talks – easy 15 min walking to get moving
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MI3LA4jmA_Cx9Q

Stretching Routines - the newer ones on this list are especially good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu0V...8jpkIY6Fe9TzLZ

“Beginner” Workouts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu0V...bKkKqaAlPlrLIY
Thank you so much for these suggestions. I did 3 days of the 30 day rotation and it became apparent to me that I may have bitten off more than I can chew and I was dealing with more than just normal muscle soreness. I may need to take a little time with this beginner playlist before I try to tackle the 30 day set.
Old 03-31-23, 08:47 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Sometimes 30 minute workouts can be daunting. I can be a clock watcher (countdown timer) when I have a lot going on in my day!

One of my favorite Jessica DVDs is her Walk On: 6 Mile Mix. Each mile is only 15 minutes and this collection has so much variety (Upper, Lower, Total Body, Cardio Abs, Steady Burn, Speed walk.) There's also a warmup, cooldown, and short stretch.) I like the variety of the latex band, too!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 09:15 AM  
donnamp

I agree, the "Mile" DVDs are great - easy to fit in. You can also build up to a full 30 min routine by doing one mile in the morning and another mile in the afternoon or evening.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 10:49 AM  
JENILU

I haven't read the answers yet (sorry!) so this has probably been well stated. First, if you follow Jessica, the 8 week, to me is, by far the hardest of the DVD programs- but having said that, following Debbie in any of them makes any of them doable. I am always a beginner (I always move, but somehow never managed to graduated from a high beginner or beginner interm. as far as what I can do) but I like her so much because I easily have 3 different people to follow, each with a variation of their own (or higher and lower), and I am usually following each one atleast once in any working- never jumping tho, unless its tiny. I LOVE that she doesn't warm up with jogging too. I can't understand why people give u beginner workouts, and thinks everyone can jog?? I would give up and pass out before the warm up was done. (I've learned, probably with Jessica's help) to modify over the years tho. I wasn't helpful on a program, sorry. I do what I can from all of them, but I am sure many were helpful in that.

Oh, and I just saw your post Firmdancer! Bless you. Keeping moving was a big thing for me during cancer (I did not have to have radiation, but I know it was hard on my sister, she had even more things than I did against her at the time tho). I pray you get and stay cancer free, and live life to the fullest!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 01:27 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I also love Jessica's 6 Mile Mix. Sometimes it seems to me that pace can be a bit faster though than in some of her other Walk On dvds.

For easing back into things, I love Jessica's Walk On: 15 Minute Fast Fat Blasts (I usually just do one or two segments at a time but all four are fun).

Also, I never thought I'd use it that often, but turns out there are times I do--Jessica's Walk On: 10 Minute Quick Walk Mix. I think this one has six 10min workouts plus a bonus chair stretch. I do the segments 1 or 2 at a time. I like the first 4 walks the best based on my notes. Only downside to this workout is it has the indoor set I don't like. She has other indoor set workouts but this is the only one I don't like even though I do several dvds of hers that use this set despite the lackluster set. I think it bugs me because normally if she does film indoors, she usually uses a real house or apartment with real windows looking out and such. But this is one of the ones that uses the more traditional (fake windows) set.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 06:30 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Ginger,

If you can stream, why don't you try out some of Jules' gentle workouts on Improved Health? Here's a playlist of her gentle workouts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FnogCDWNRj-om4 These are all 20 minutes or less.

She also has beginner workouts if you want a slight step up in intensity: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...R7fgjHGU0B5GU2.

If you find that you enjoy Jules' workouts and they are a good fit for you, one of her video users posts a rotation calendar every month. There's one for the intermediate workouts and a separate one for the gentle and beginner standing workouts. Calendars are here: https://www.improvedhealthforseniors...kout-calendars

Another good streaming choice is Silver & Fit. They have beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts here: https://www.youtube.com/@silverandfit

It used to annoy me to no end that I was doing workouts for "seniors", but you know, it just is what it is. At least I'm moving every day.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith