Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-17, 03:50 PM  
Indy

I have never done anything to prolong the life of the bands (i.e. wiping with water, storing in plastic bag/case) I have them hanging off my weight rack out in the open - I had some for quite awhile and then one day - they just broke - I just figured the rubber deteriorates and that's it - you will have to get new ones eventually. So is it the general consensus that they should be stored in a plastic bag to prolong their life or to put powder on them?
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 04:13 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I recently purchased that band and like it. Shortly after purchasing it, the vendor emailed a booklet of exercises you can do with it.

I learned to never attempt to prolong the life of these bands. I was doing a Pilates workout with an old band stretched around both feet, very tight, when it snapped and one broken end smacked me in the eye. I was scared to think what could have happened.
I finally threw out all my bands. I have had ones snap, not particularly old ones I'd kept dusted and sealed, and it's stories like yours Pat that made me realize they're not worth it to me.

I kept one tubing with handles, but the tubing is encased in stretch fabric which is much safer. Otherwise it's dumbbells for me.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 06:57 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I kept one tubing with handles, but the tubing is encased in stretch fabric which is much safer. Otherwise it's dumbbells for me.
I have these covered bands too! I've seen too many accidents at the gym with bands breaking and hitting people in the face. Just a few weeks ago a lady had one break and pop her in the face right above the eyebrow, and she had to have the wound sutured it was so bad.
Old 03-15-17, 07:56 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I have these covered bands too! I've seen too many accidents at the gym with bands breaking and hitting people in the face. Just a few weeks ago a lady had one break and pop her in the face right above the eyebrow, and she had to have the wound sutured it was so bad.
Sutures! Wow - I'm going to find a cloth covered resistance tubing and stay with that from now on.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resistance band, resistance band care, resistance bands